[comp.sys.mac.misc] Wanting to snub Emulators

wieser@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) (10/28/90)

>> Does anyone know what amax announces itself as?  I would like to have
>> my software NOT run when it sees an emulator.

>Why are you jealous?
>Think about it, you should be proud that someone wants to run mac software on
>their non-mac machine.
>--------------------------------
>George Lin
>a309@mindlink
>uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!George_Lin
>CAD/CAM engineering @ University Of British Columbia

"Jealous"?  Not at all.  Infact, such a statement is kind of stupid.
When I write software, I write it for a specific platform.  Think about it,
running software on a machine it wasn't designed for is a little like
piracy.  I have a couple notions to support this.
1)Many software licenses state that the licensee is not allowed to
transmit or translate the software in any form.  Isn't an emulator
synonymous with the words 'translate' or 'copy'?
2)Let's say I wrote a wonderful cad/cam package for various machines.
I spent resources to support my software on multiple
machines, using the strengths of each.  So Joe user, who might have
both an Amiga and a Mac has no reason to support me and my
efforts if they have an emulator.
3)When I write software, I do so on a machine which supports the task
 well.  If I don't write it for the Amiga, I may not want it running on the
Amiga.  Software supports the machine it was written for.
Why should I (the developer) support users who don't support me?

I dislike these religious battles.  Computers are tools; I think each brand
has its uses/strengths.  But when I write software I support the machine and
concepts behind it.  Emulation can kill good ideas by stealing markets;
it doesn't really create them, does it?

Ps.  Of the several Amiga users I know, all have Amax, only one bought it,
and all of them have the 'software' version of Mac ROMs.  Kind of like
stealing a machine...

jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (10/28/90)

wieser@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:

>"Jealous"?  Not at all.  Infact, such a statement is kind of stupid.
>When I write software, I write it for a specific platform.  Think about it,
>running software on a machine it wasn't designed for is a little like
>piracy.

No, Bernhard, nearly all of the points you make are far more stupid.
Emulators do not pirate the software packages they run.  If the piece
of software running on a machine is purchased and properly licensed,
it is legal regardless of which machine is carrying out its instructions.

>1)Many software licenses state that the licensee is not allowed to
>transmit or translate the software in any form.  Isn't an emulator
>synonymous with the words 'translate' or 'copy'?

Your software is not being translated.  The instruction set of the
machine being emulated is being translated.  If your point were
valid, then all software would break its own license, since every machine
"translates" machine code into something tangible and useful to
the user of the package.

>2)Let's say I wrote a wonderful cad/cam package for various machines.
>I spent resources to support my software on multiple
>machines, using the strengths of each.  So Joe user, who might have
>both an Amiga and a Mac has no reason to support me and my
>efforts if they have an emulator.

"Joe User" can support anyone he wants.  It's his money.  He's giving
it to you.  Be happy about it.

>3)When I write software, I do so on a machine which supports the task
> well.  If I don't write it for the Amiga, I may not want it running on the
>Amiga.  Software supports the machine it was written for.
>Why should I (the developer) support users who don't support me?

By buying your package, he is supporting you!  People don't support
software authors (directly) by their choice of hardware platforms!
If someone pays tens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars for a service
I provide, I feel that my obligation is to do my best to ensure that
this person will be happy enough to do it again someday.

>Emulation can kill good ideas by stealing markets;
>it doesn't really create them, does it?

Emulation doesn't "steal" markets - it provides competition.  Emulation
creates a market for better emulators.  Which provides even better
competition.

Comments??  Anyone??

Jeff Kain

--
"Quoth the raven, 'Eat my shorts!'"

              -Edgar Allen Poe / Bart Simpson
"We create a leader by locating one in the crowd who is standing up. [...] We
designate this victim as a 'stand-up guy' by the simple expedient of
sitting down around him."
				-Arturo Binewski

andrewsr@romulus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (10/28/90)

> >> Does anyone know what amax announces itself as?  I would like to have
> >> my software NOT run when it sees an emulator.
>
> When I write software, I write it for a specific platform.  Think about it,
> running software on a machine it wasn't designed for is a little like
> piracy.  I have a couple notions to support this.
> 1)Many software licenses state that the licensee is not allowed to
> transmit or translate the software in any form.  Isn't an emulator
> synonymous with the words 'translate' or 'copy'?

But, this "emulator" does not do much translating: it turns the Amiga
INTO a Mac.  There are, of course, some differences including a
Recoverable Ram Disk, no AppleTalk, and no color.  Your software is
NOT translated.  It is simply run---just like on a Mac.

> 2)Let's say I wrote a wonderful cad/cam package for various machines.
> I spent resources to support my software on multiple
> machines, using the strengths of each.  So Joe user, who might have
> both an Amiga and a Mac has no reason to support me and my
> efforts if they have an emulator.

But, the user who is using the emulator *is* supporting your Mac
version, not your Amiga version.  Remember, the market for A-MaxII is
very small now, and will probably not grow much (at least legally)
considering that Apple stopped selling the ROMs.  The real question is
whether or not ReadySoft can design their own MacROM equivalents
before they run out of money.  If they do, it will be only a matter of
time before they have an emulator with color, AppleTalk, etc.

On the other idea: if you had created the software package on both the
Amiga and the Mac, then why would you care which version someone
bought?  What is really happening is that you now have a package than
runs on another set of computers (around 2 million) for which you did
not have to change a single line of code.  I would think that you
would like that!

> Why should I (the developer) support users who don't support me?

But they are supporting you.  They have bought your Mac package.  (If
you are worried about Pirated versions of your software, then you have
every right to be upset.  But isn't pirating a problem on every
computer?  And that topic is irrelevant to this discussion.)

> concepts behind it.  Emulation can kill good ideas by stealing markets;
> it doesn't really create them, does it?

Yes they do create markets!, I, for one, was not interested in any of
the Mac software until I purchased an A-MaxII.  For *me*, buying the
A-MaxII and the ROMs gave me a Mac for only $300.  Not a bad deal
considering I am using a 5 year old Amiga.  (No, I don't have a Mac
drive, but I can download stuff or take my A-MaxII to school and use
one of their drives).

> Ps.  Of the several Amiga users I know, all have Amax, only one bought it,
> and all of them have the 'software' version of Mac ROMs.  Kind of like
> stealing a machine...

That is truly sad.  I bought the package, and I bought the ROMs.  If
you write software to stop me from using software that you write, then
that is your choice.  But I certainly don't know why you would not
want me to *buy* your package!

I have a simple solution to those of you who want to stop your code
from working on an emulator: write "bad" code that does not use the
operating system.  For, of all the packages that I have tested, all of
the productivity stuff ran great.

To the Mac community: I have received an education on the benefits of
the Mac through A-MaxII that I would not otherwise have.  But, (now
donning flame gear), I am even more impressed that my 5 year old box
can run Mac stuff too.

I still don't understand why Mac users get so defensive about A-MaxII.
The market for A-Max is for *Amiga* users who want to run Mac
software.  Isn't this beneficial to the Mac world?  I doubt that
people who want a Mac are going to but an Amiga with A-Max!  (For now
at least).  The Mac does not have a "clone" threat until ReadySoft
solves some of the major drawbacks to A-Max.  I also doubt that Amiga
users who want to run Mac software are going to buy a Mac. In effect,
the Mac market has seeped into the Amiga market (NOT vica versa).

I can understand the Mac community feeling threatened by the POTENTIAL
of A-Max.  Sure, a card that you could slap into an Amiga 3000 to turn
it into a Mac machine rivaling the ][fx in functionality would be very
threatining.  But that day has not arrived.  The Mac community should
feel more threatened by the developing Amiga software market than the
Mac market running on an Amiga.  A-MaxII users are not different from
Mac users: they still have to buy Mac software--which helps the Mac
market.

And, finally, for those of you who keep saying that the Amiga can only
do video: the Amiga (with A-MaxII) can run the same software as the
MacII--thus, are you saying that the MacII only good for video?

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the   |    //
\X/  Andrews |  conclusion is left unresolved." -McLaughlin   |  \X/

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (10/28/90)

wieser@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:
>Does anyone know what amax announces itself as?  I would like to have
>my software NOT run when it sees an emulator.
>When I write software, I write it for a specific platform.  Think about it,
>running software on a machine it wasn't designed for is a little like
>piracy.

No, it isn't.  Provided the user has paid for your software, he is entitled
to use it to its full functionality.  Your attempt to prevent your customers
from running a perfectly runnable program on a platform different from the one
you intended it for because you dislike the platform they're using or want them
to pay for another copy is at least immoral if not actually illegal.

What would you say if the maker of your car installed a timing device that
after a few years destroyed your engine or engaged some sort of permanent break
system to force you to buy another car?  After all, it's entitled to extract as
much revenue from you as it can... besides, it has intended its car to be used
while it's still new and shiny, and doesn't want its emblem to be seen on a
rusty groaner.  In fact, the much milder form of planned obsolescence practiced
by North American automakers up to the eighties is largely responsible for
their tremendous loss of market share to Japan.  If that's the way you wish to
treat your customers, you don't deserve to have any.

>I have a couple notions to support this.
>1)Many software licenses state that the licensee is not allowed to
>transmit or translate the software in any form.  Isn't an emulator
>synonymous with the words 'translate' or 'copy'?

Translating what? Copying what? Your compiled program will work on the emulator
without being copied or translated.  The emulation software/hardware itself
is also not a copy or a translation of anything, or it would be illegal under
the copyright laws.

>2)Let's say I wrote a wonderful cad/cam package for various machines.
>I spent resources to support my software on multiple
>machines, using the strengths of each.  So Joe user, who might have
>both an Amiga and a Mac has no reason to support me and my
>efforts if they have an emulator.

Seems a tad arrogant when your software product is infinitely copiable to
begin with, and unless you want to hire the desperately-unemployed East German
Stasi secret police, you cannot enforce the license's prohibition on copying.
If you know a single person who would pay for a copy for each of his platforms
of your software, while he could obtain one or more of them illegally, you
hang out among much more altruistic people than I do.  Of course, you could
use hardware locks or copy-protection schemes, but your sales would plummet.

Even the software publishers who want only a reasonable payment for a well-
made product with unlimited support find it hard to prevent illegal copying
and convince users that they have an obligation to pay for what they use.
Your approach makes it all the more difficult for non-predatory developers
to get compensated for their efforts.

>3)When I write software, I do so on a machine which supports the task
> well.  If I don't write it for the Amiga, I may not want it running on the
>Amiga.

What if you are a vegeterian and do not wish your program to be used by meat-
eaters? Will you customers have to fill out questionnaires on their personal
lives and ethical beliefs next? Such an approach is understandable and even
right if we're talking about US arms sales, but you can't expect people to
provide End-User Certificates to the effect that your precious CAD program
will not be sullied by passage through the filthy registers of the Amiga.

>Software supports the machine it was written for.
>Why should I (the developer) support users who don't support me?

Why should the users support a developer who feels no responsibility towards
them?

>I dislike these religious battles.  Computers are tools; I think each brand
>has its uses/strengths.  But when I write software I support the machine and
>concepts behind it.

And yet you demand the right to treat certain hardware platforms the way the
Old Testament treats the Ishmaelites.

>Emulation can kill good ideas by stealing markets;
>it doesn't really create them, does it?

Yes, it does.  An Amiga user who has no Mac and wants to run your program
can (a) buy a Mac, (b) buy Amax, (c) give up on running your program.  When
you make your program Amax-resistant, you deprive the Amiga user of one way of
running your program, making it less likely that he'll buy it.

Emulation is freedom, a goal towards which the world seems to be moving
inexorably.  You obstruct its path at your peril.

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct27.190254.8511@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, wieser@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:
>>> Does anyone know what amax announces itself as?  I would like to have
>>> my software NOT run when it sees an emulator.
>
>>Why are you jealous?
>>Think about it, you should be proud that someone wants to run mac software on
>>their non-mac machine.
>>--------------------------------
>>George Lin

Why is this guy being flamed so vehemently?
I don't claim any philosophical reasons to want to snub emulators, but I write
shareware I am also a tad bothered by the AMAX owners.  From an emotional
standpoint, its like wanting to snub those who would have their cake and eat it
too.  I guess I'm a little more emotional about these things since I write
shareware _games_ for the Mac (something the Amiga community certainly has up
on us) and I would just like to send them a "This one is for the MAC's"-kind of
message.  But, oh well, I can live with it.
From a more practical side though, what is the likelihood that Amiga owners
would send a Mac author shareware money?  (About as likely as anyone else? :))

john calhoun

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (10/29/90)

In article <jkain.657061667@silver> jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) writes:
>wieser@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:
>
>>2)Let's say I wrote a wonderful cad/cam package for various machines.
>>I spent resources to support my software on multiple
>>machines, using the strengths of each.  So Joe user, who might have
>>both an Amiga and a Mac has no reason to support me and my
>>efforts if they have an emulator.
>
>"Joe User" can support anyone he wants.  It's his money.  He's giving
>it to you.  Be happy about it.

I still dont understand where he gets the idea that "joe user" has no reason to
support him. I mean if I had an Amiga with Amax and a mac, and chose to buy
the mac version of his software rather than the amiga version, how does he
suddenly get the stupid notion I am not supporting him? or is money not enough?

>>3)When I write software, I do so on a machine which supports the task
>> well.  If I don't write it for the Amiga, I may not want it running on the
>>Amiga.  Software supports the machine it was written for.
>>Why should I (the developer) support users who don't support me?
>
>By buying your package, he is supporting you!  People don't support
>software authors (directly) by their choice of hardware platforms!
>If someone pays tens, hundreds, or thousands of dollars for a service
>I provide, I feel that my obligation is to do my best to ensure that
>this person will be happy enough to do it again someday.

The person with the emulator IS supporting you, while YOU are not supporting
HIM.

>>Emulation can kill good ideas by stealing markets;
>>it doesn't really create them, does it?
>
>Emulation doesn't "steal" markets - it provides competition.  Emulation
>creates a market for better emulators.  Which provides even better
>competition.

Not to mention competition because it could provide a better/cheaper computer.
if computer X  could emulate comp. Y for a much lower price, people could use X
and the emulator instead of Y.

>Comments??  Anyone??
>
>Jeff Kain
>
>--
>"Quoth the raven, 'Eat my shorts!'"
>
>              -Edgar Allen Poe / Bart Simpson
>"We create a leader by locating one in the crowd who is standing up. [...] We
>designate this victim as a 'stand-up guy' by the simple expedient of
>sitting down around him."
>				-Arturo Binewski

 o                             o   | This Space For Rent        Only Amiga!! //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Amerikkka's Most Wanted             \\ //
/>                             <\  |                                      \X/
"I think out actions _show_ what's in our hearts." Hobbes
Who's the Mack...

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct27.190254.8511@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wieser@cs-sun-fsa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:

>"Jealous"?  Not at all.  Infact, such a statement is kind of stupid.
>When I write software, I write it for a specific platform.  Think about it,
>running software on a machine it wasn't designed for is a little like
>piracy.

No, piracy is using software you haven't paid for, not using software
in a manner the author hadn't intended.

>1)Many software licenses state that the licensee is not allowed to
>transmit or translate the software in any form.  Isn't an emulator
>synonymous with the words 'translate' or 'copy'?

This is stupid legal gobbledy-gook written by lawyers and other idiots:
the sort of nonsense that leads to things like copy-protected (read
unuseable) disks.  Most reasonable people expect software "licenses"
to be routinely ignored because they impose unreasonable conditions
on the user and purchaser of the software.  Mosy software licences
are not binding contracts between the vendor and the user, anyway,
because they are never agreed to by the user.  (Hint: despite what
software vendors like to claim, opening a shrinkwrap package does not
signify agreement.)

>2)Let's say I wrote a wonderful cad/cam package for various machines.
>I spent resources to support my software on multiple
>machines, using the strengths of each.  So Joe user, who might have
>both an Amiga and a Mac has no reason to support me and my
>efforts if they have an emulator.

Joe User, who has both a Mac and an Amiga, has no reason to support
the development of a second version of your software even without an
emulator: he can choose to run the program on only one machine.  So
what?  What makes you think Joe User has any obligation to ensure the
success of your future projects?  He does not.  Joe User has a moral
and legal obligation to pay for the copy of the software that he uses.
Period.

>3)When I write software, I do so on a machine which supports the task
> well.  If I don't write it for the Amiga, I may not want it running on the
>Amiga.

Most reporters write stories that are intended to be read.  They may not
want the stories lining the bottom of bird cages.  Therefore, I have just
proved, using your own logic, that it should be illegal to line the bottom
of bird cages with newspaper.

>Software supports the machine it was written for.
>Why should I (the developer) support users who don't support me?

You shouldn't.  But if a user has purchased a (nonpirated) copy of
the software, he has already paid to support you.  You have no right
to dictate what machine he can run that software on any more than an
author has the right to dictate what room of the house a customer can
read his books in.

>Ps.  Of the several Amiga users I know, all have Amax, only one bought it,
>and all of them have the 'software' version of Mac ROMs.  Kind of like
>stealing a machine...

This is the first thing you have said that makes sense.

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (10/31/90)

There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.

So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
macintosh ROMs.

Povl H. Pedersen
eco8941@ecostat.aau.dk   /   hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

jgs@merit.edu (John Scudder) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.150313.9742@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
>machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
>address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
>that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
>copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
>original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.
>
>So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
>macintosh ROMs.
>
>Povl H. Pedersen
>eco8941@ecostat.aau.dk   /   hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu

I believe that there is an accelerator board for the SE that caches the
ROMs in SE motherboard RAM and puts applications in RAM on the
accelerator itself.  (Accelerator data bus is 32 bits wide so is twice
as fast as the motherboard bus.  I'm not sure whose board it is, it was
a while ago.  GCC, maybe?)  The above scheme for killing emulators might
also do a fine job of killing these accelerated Macs.  It could also
potentially kill any new machine Apple chose to build which might cache
ROM to RAM (pure speculation on my part; I haven't heard of such a
machine).

--John Scudder
  jgs@merit.edu

In article <1990Oct31.150313.9742@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
>machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
>address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
>that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
>copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
>original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.
>
>So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
>macintosh ROMs.

Nope-- there are machines with write-protectable RAM-- I don't know if
the AMAX does so, but it could.
Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.

wieser@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) (11/02/90)

This should be a dead topic.  Others can bash whatever they want -
its not like I spent hours writing my responses and carefully structured
every argument.  I also didn't included line-by-line commentary as
to what I didn't agree with, or carefully read only what I wanted to
from peoples responses, ignoring everything else and previous messages.

So what happened?  I don't want my Mac software to run on emulators.
I don't care which.  I wanted to know if any net-colleagues had
the answer to my question 'What does Amax announce itself as?'  What
did I get?  Various e-mail insults and hate mail.  I asked myself,
why does this mail come majoritively from academic institutions?
I couldn't answer that one...

But back to those who misunderstood me or accussed me of using
contrived cases when I was following up other hypothetical news
articles;  Why don't you read all the chains carefully and keep your
bible bashing/irrelevant allusions/insults to yourself?

There are two main points which people conveniently avoided.
A MAJORITY OF AMAX USERS HAVE THE PIRATED SOFTWARE VERSION OF ROMS.
CONVERTING A DISK TO AMAX FORMAT IS A CHANGE IN FORM COUNTER TO MOST
SOFTWARE LICENSING AGREEMENTS.
I don't support piracy (or pirates), and I believe clones/emus are theft.
If Amax users buy the ROMs fine, they're hard to find.  If Amax
users buy a Mac drive, fine.  I agree with whoever said I should
state 'I do not support emulators', and just like unsupported
machines and OS, I want to try realize this and stop execution before a user
has the chance to hurt themselves.

(Ps.  I am not a Mac fanatic, which is why the 'computers are tools'
message appears in most of my messages.  I know what I wrote, and I'm
sure the nets don't need this lazy include everything approach to
posting, or critical to the point of stupid attitude.)

jeh@sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) (11/02/90)

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
>machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
>address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
>that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
>copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
>original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.
>
>So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
>macintosh ROMs.

And be prepared for possible legal consequences and/or subsequent damage to
your reputation when your "clean kill" causes someone to lose important
data.

Remember Microsoft's "Tree of Evil" message?

--
Ed Hanway   uunet!sisd!jeh
This is not an offer to sell securities.  For off-road use only.  Contains a

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct31.140745.12752@cbnewsc.att.com> straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:
>In article <107918@convex.convex.com>, ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) writes:

>I'm not sure if this was the original intent, but if I was a developer of an
>application on machine X, and someone runs it on an *IMPERFECT* X emulator
>on machine Y, I might be getting a lot of support questions for configuration
>Y that would take a LOT of support $$ that were not planned for (a lot more
>than for buyers of the software on machine X).

Well, the logical way to handle these support questions is simply to
say, "sorry, but the product works on the Macintosh.  The problem is
with your hardware, not with the software.  I suggest you contact the
hardware manufacturer."

I have never used the AMAX or even seen a demo, but I did use the
Spectre 128 emulator on my old Atari ST.  With the Spectre, the ST
has compatability with more Macintosh programs the Mac II does. So
I don't think technical support is really a major problem.

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (11/03/90)

>In article <1990Oct31.150313.9742@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
>machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
>address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
>that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
>copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
>original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.

Doesn't the Lisa running MacWorks have the equivalent of the
Macintosh ROM in RAM?

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (11/03/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 2-Nov-90 Re: Wanting to snub
> Emulators Ed Hanway@sisd.kodak.com (936)

> >So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
> >macintosh ROMs.

> And be prepared for possible legal consequences and/or subsequent damage
> to your reputation when your "clean kill" causes someone to lose
> important data.

I thought that that was the point of including appropriate disclaimers.
Besides, I don't think you could lose data if you couldn't run the
program to create the data in the first place.  And I would sincerely
hope that no one is advocating hiding the fact that a program may not
run on a particular machine... I think word would spread pretty fast.

In article <1990Nov2.040936.29686@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wieser@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:
>There are two main points which people conveniently avoided.
>A MAJORITY OF AMAX USERS HAVE THE PIRATED SOFTWARE VERSION OF ROMS.
>CONVERTING A DISK TO AMAX FORMAT IS A CHANGE IN FORM COUNTER TO MOST
>SOFTWARE LICENSING AGREEMENTS.

	A majority of people using every program, including
yours, are using pirate version. So what does your statement
prove? That there are just as many Amiga criminals as Mac
criminals, etc.

>I don't support piracy (or pirates), and I believe clones/emus are theft.
>If Amax users buy the ROMs fine, they're hard to find.  If Amax
>users buy a Mac drive, fine.  I agree with whoever said I should
>state 'I do not support emulators', and just like unsupported
>machines and OS, I want to try realize this and stop execution before a user
>has the chance to hurt themselves.

	"Has a chance to hurt themselves" I don't get that one.
Anyone using an emulator accepts the risk that it might not be
perfect. However I'm willing to take that chance.
	There is one other thing to consider. People who have
pirated AMax don't get an adapter to use a Mac disk drive. Amiga
disk drive in a shared disk format can only hold 272K each,
making transfer from Mac<-->Amiga very difficult. This gives the
legitimate AMax valuable.

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (11/04/90)

	RE Wanting to snub Amax

	"The majority of AMAX users have pirated ROMS"

	As an Amiga owner (with a legitimately bought-and-paid-for AMAX with
Mac floppy and real, live Mac ROMS), I do not know a single person who USES
the pirated version of AMAX.  Everyone I know who has/had it ran it a few times
and deleted it.  It's worthless without the hardware interface.
	I'd be interested in seeing how you conducted your survey.

	"Changing a Mac disk to an AMAX disk is a change in form and you
can't do it"

	So's putting your bought-and-paid-for program on a hard drive.  If your
licensing agreement doesn't allow THAT, screw it.

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"...when Fortran was introduced, it was claimed that Fortran would largely
eliminate coding and debugging!  Of course, that claim proved to be quite false"
- UNIVERSAL ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE, Robert M. Fitz & Larry Crocket

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (11/06/90)

wieser@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:

>This should be a dead topic.

>There are two main points which people conveniently avoided.
>A MAJORITY OF AMAX USERS HAVE THE PIRATED SOFTWARE VERSION OF ROMS.
>CONVERTING A DISK TO AMAX FORMAT IS A CHANGE IN FORM COUNTER TO MOST
>SOFTWARE LICENSING AGREEMENTS.
>I don't support piracy (or pirates), and I believe clones/emus are theft.

1) ST users have been running non-converted, straight Mac applications
right off the original Mac floppies for over two years.  So, by your own
rules, the ST-plus-GCR doesn't violate the Agreement Sanctorum.

The ST provides
a larger screen, more RAM, a lower price, and a faster execution than a
Plus.  Until very recently (about three years late) with the advent of
the Classic, the ST was the cheapest Mac around.  (The STacy is still by
far the cheapest portable Macintosh.)

2) The Spectre GCR (for that is the name of the product that turns an ST
into a Mac) won't run with copied Mac ROMs.  (PROMs draw too much
power.)  There are literally thousands of 128K ROM sets out for the
buying.  Why are you convinced that AMAX buyers are pirates?

I think, though, you have fallen into the "Mac Uber Alles, and There is
no God But Sculley" trap.  Competition is HEALTHY, guy: if Apple doesn't
realize it, there will be unlicensed competing clones, or they'll be the
tiny specialty market most PC mfrs. consider them to be forever.

		Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (11/07/90)

> There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
> machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
> address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
> that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
> copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
> original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.
>
> So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
> macintosh ROMs.
>
> Povl H. Pedersen
  Emulating a Mac on another computer brings in more revenue for Mac software
companies.  Now that the person has A-Max, or other similar emulator like
Spectre, he needs to have software.  Just as some people who own real mac will
pirate software, emulator people will pirate software too.  And just like real
mac owners will buy software, emulator people will buy the software they need
also.  I don't see why everyone is so upset about emulating a Mac.  IBM clone
people have been doing for quite a long time.  I'd say that the reason many
software companies stay in business is not because the people with real
big-blue machines buy the software, but because the millions who have clones
buy the software.  This took a while before the clones outnumbered the real
IBM owners but now software companies rely on it.  If using a mac emulator was
so wrong then it would be illegal.  I can see that some people are angry or
even jealous, I might be too if another computer emulated my Amiga faster than
my Amiga normally went.  I have a hardware IBM emulator also and have bought
all the programs that I use on it and the same for A-Max.  Is the real reason
some people are angry about A-max is that others tease them that an Amiga can
emulate a Mac but a mac can't emulate an Amiga?  If they persist, just tell
them to grow up.

hofer@urz.unibas.ch (Remo Hofer) (11/07/90)

> There is one sure way to KILL any running mac emulator in RAM on any
> machine. Just find the address of the ROM, and then start at that
> address, and place 64k or 128k  random characters, or plain zeros for
> that sake. This will surel y crash the machine if the ROM has been
> copied to RAM, but if the emulator runs using the real stuff, i.e.
> original (or fake) Macintosh ROMs, then this will do nothing.
>
> So just rewrite your program, and go for a clean kill  on pirated
> macintosh ROMs.
>
> Povl H. Pedersen

Have you read the discussion about ROM in RAM in this group? So with your
method the program could also crash on a 'future' Mac with the OS copied to RAM

Remo Hofer