[comp.sys.mac.misc] Portable Macs/Printers?

cyamamot@kilroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) (11/06/90)

Greetings!

Does anyone have any particular portable configuration they favor?  I'm
trying to track down a portable setup for my friend.  I only know about
the portables from Apple and Outbound.  Is there any other configurations
available?  It does NOT have to be battery powered.  It will probably be
used in a hotel during travel.

Also can anyone recommend a portable printer?  I was thinking about the
HP Deskjet since there *seems* to be drivers available for it (I saved
the recent article about it).  Are there any other portable printers that
can give Near LaserWriter (NLW?) quality output?  I know the Deskjet is
not *really* portable, but it's lighter than a LW2 NT and better quality
than a dot matrix.  It's weight would be acceptable for a "portable" in
this case.

Thanks for your info!
-- Cliff

lalonde@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Francois Lalonde) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.164211.15681@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>
cyamamot@kilroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:
> Also can anyone recommend a portable printer?  I was thinking about the
> HP Deskjet since there *seems* to be drivers available for it (I saved
> the recent article about it).  Are there any other portable printers that
> can give Near LaserWriter (NLW?) quality output?  I know the Deskjet is
> not *really* portable, but it's lighter than a LW2 NT and better quality
> than a dot matrix.  It's weight would be acceptable for a "portable" in
> this case.

I use the KODAK M150+.  It is a battery powered printer, it the smallest I
know and it is a NLW.  You get the drivers with it and it work fine.  It
use the same technics as the HP Deskjet so it is quit.

Francois Lalonde
Institut de recherche            lalonde@ireq.hydro.qc.ca
d'Hydro-Quebec                   Tel (514) 652-8283
1800 Montee Ste Julie            Fax (514) 652-8435
Varennes, Quebec                 Compuserve: 75340,2771
Canada, J3X 1S1

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (11/07/90)

From article <1990Nov5.164211.15681@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, by cyamamot@kilroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Cliff Yamamoto):
> Greetings!
>
> Does anyone have any particular portable configuration they favor?  I'm
> trying to track down a portable setup for my friend.  I only know about
> the portables from Apple and Outbound.  Is there any other configurations
> available?  It does NOT have to be battery powered.  It will probably be
> used in a hotel during travel.

We bought one of the GCC WriteMove printers for use by the Head Administrator
at home and traveling.  It's similar to the Kodak box.  The software setup is
simple, the unit is small and light.  Your can get a travel bag that holds
cables power, etc.  It's used with a Mac Portable and does a fine job.  I
liked the font options better than the Kodak box.  The Bigger, better quality
type, of the DeskWriter is light, but not very portable when you're talking
international baggage claim....