[comp.sys.mac.misc] StuffitClassic

mididoc@peg.UUCP (10/26/90)

If anyone would like a copy of 1.6b4 (Stuffit Classic) mail me and I'll
post it somewhere ...

Yes, it can be distributed ... it's still shareware - only StuffIt Deluxe
(and it's useless archiving systems) are comerciallyu available.

There are a few changes ... can't rtemenber off hand, as I used Compactor
these days - with it's companion "Sit! to CPT" converter, I never need
touch Stuffit again!

Geoff Peters
APC:   peg:mididoc
I'net: mididoc@peg.pegasus.oz.au

so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) (10/28/90)

In article <252400001@peg> mididoc@peg.UUCP writes:

>If anyone would like a copy of 1.6b4 (Stuffit Classic) mail me and I'll
>post it somewhere ...
>
>Yes, it can be distributed ... it's still shareware - only StuffIt Deluxe
>(and it's useless archiving systems) are comerciallyu available.
>
>There are a few changes ... can't rtemenber off hand, as I used Compactor
>these days - with it's companion "Sit! to CPT" converter, I never need
>touch Stuffit again!
>
>Geoff Peters
>APC:   peg:mididoc
>I'net: mididoc@peg.pegasus.oz.au

I tried to respond by email and it bounced ... so, YES, please post it
somewhere.

Thanks,
Steve

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
                              Steve Owen
ARPA:	so@cs.duke.edu			Department of Computer Science
CSNET:	so@duke				Duke University
UUCP:	{mcnc,decvax}!duke!so		Durham, NC 27706 USA
"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."
- Isaac Asimov
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

llvvll@mixcom.UUCP (James R. Macak) (10/30/90)

In article <252400001@peg> mididoc@peg.UUCP writes:

>If anyone would like a copy of 1.6b4 (Stuffit Classic) mail me and I'll
>post it somewhere ...

>Yes, it can be distributed ... it's still shareware - only StuffIt Deluxe
>(and it's useless archiving systems) are comerciallyu available.

(Several lines deleted.)

StuffIt Classic, meant to replace the old StuffIt v. 1.5.1, has just recently
been released in v. 1.6.  This is a release version, i.e. not a beta test
version.  It is shareware and offers many of the features of StuffIt Deluxe.

UnStuffIt Deluxe has also been just now released.  It is _freeware_ and will
"unstuff" files created by the old StuffIt, the new StuffIt Classic and
StuffIt Deluxe.  The release version of UnStuffIt Deluxe is 1.1.

Both come as "installer" applications.  The UnStuffIt Deluxe installer is about
163K in size and the StuffIt Classic installer is about 370K

Jim Macak

llvvll%mixcom@uunet.uu.net

ksuzuki@caen.engin.umich.edu (KATSUYUKI SUZUKI ) (10/31/90)

In article <369@mixcom.UUCP> llvvll@mixcom.UUCP (James R. Macak) writes:

>StuffIt Classic, meant to replace the old StuffIt v. 1.5.1, has just recently
>been released in v. 1.6.  This is a release version, i.e. not a beta test
>version.  It is shareware and offers many of the features of StuffIt Deluxe.

Are there any feature StuffIt Classic has that StuffIt Deluxe does not? For
example, I heard that current version of StuffIt Deluxe has bug in copying
between archives. Is this bug fixed ? Does this feature works on Classic?

Thanks,

  Katsu Suzuki
    Dept of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct30.221155.10661@engin.umich.edu> ksuzuki@caen.engin.umich.edu (KATSUYUKI SUZUKI ) writes:

>Are there any feature StuffIt Classic has that StuffIt Deluxe does not? For
>example, I heard that current version of StuffIt Deluxe has bug in copying
>between archives. Is this bug fixed ? Does this feature works on Classic?
>Thanks,
>  Katsu Suzuki

	Stuffit Classic currently has the feature to create Self-extracting
	archives that Deluxe does not have. This is coming in a 1.1 update
	to Deluxe. Classic cannot copy files from archive to archive since
	it can only open one file at at time, unlike Deluxe which can open
	up to 8 archives at a time. Deluxe sometimes in the 1.01 release
	will damage an archive if you "move" files in the hierarchy of
	the archive (folder to folder, Folder to Root etc) but it is
	rare, reportedly whatever caused that is fixed. Deluxe has
	other features which make it quite nice...worth it to me anyway
	if you registered 1.51, you should be able to get it for $40.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

MAUKONEN@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu (11/06/90)

Hello,

     Could someone please send me or post here the name of a node
where this is posted. I tried to put together the 12 parts sent to
comp.binaries.mac but was not successfull.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Maukonen@ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu

MAUKONEN%ucf1vm.cc.ucf.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (11/08/90)

Well I tried an SIT_bin file and got finder errors. Is ther going to be
a plain old vanila hqx file of Stuffit Classic posted any where ?
One that is not broken as the previously shipped versions are.

Thanks in frustration

chris
Maukonen@uc