[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Carrying Case and Airports

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (11/08/90)

In article <6996@vax1.acs.udel.EDU>, arti@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Arti Nigam) writes:
> I plan to take my Mac SE/30 on board on an international british airways
> flight.  Any advice from someone who has taken their mac on airplane?

I have to fly cross country all the time with my SE/30 and have been more than
pleased with the carrying case by Linebacker. (I'm not sure if it has a name,
or not.) It's sold by MacZone for about the same price as you are looking at.
It has lots of big pockets (I have the extended keyboard) and I can fit my
external hard drive (big ol' CMS Seagate monster drive) right on top. Plenty of
room for cables, disks, etc. Plus, it has a great, huge nylon strap, incredibly
durable construction and comes in great colors! Now that I think about it, I
think it's called MacBag, by Linebacker. At the MacZone 1-800-248-0800.

As far as airplanes go, as long as the plan isn't too small, it should fit in
the overhead compartments on its side. To be sure, however, you should get on
the plane as soon as possible so that if it doesn't fit, you can put it in one
of the coat closets before they fill up.

Also, in order to avoid hassles at the x-ray machine, I always just send it
through. The x-rays, I've been told, don't do any damage, but be aware that the
conveyor belt had big magnets in it so don't put the Mac drive side down into
the machine. Others may have had other experiences, but if you let them send it
through, then they'll usually not hassle you (at least on domestic flights).

Good luck,
Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

P.S. I don't have anything to do with MacZone or Linebacker; just a happy
customer.