[comp.sys.mac.misc] Any info on ftp.apple.com?

drz@po.cwru.edu (11/06/90)

Does anyone have any information as to when the new Apple FTP site
(ftp.apple.com) will be accessible via anonymous FTP?  I'd really like to get
my hands on -- among other things -- certain foreign-language versions of the
System Software.  Yes, I know they're available on the developer CD-ROMs, but
here at CWRU the only possible source for this software refuses to supply it.

Come on, Apple -- what's the holdup?  Another licensing problem?  :-)  I'm sure
I'm not the only one who'd like to get hold of some of the files in there!

Thanks,
 -- Dave Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu)

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (11/06/90)

drz@po.cwru.edu writes:

>Does anyone have any information as to when the new Apple FTP site
>(ftp.apple.com) will be accessible via anonymous FTP?  I'd really like to get
>my hands on -- among other things -- certain foreign-language versions of the
>System Software.  [...]

Me too.  But notice that ftp.apple.com (or bric-a-brac.apple.com if you
like) is actually available for ftp'ing anonymously into right now.
However, they've got a strange ftpd there.  For listings of directory
contents, you can *only* use a plain 'ls' command in your ftp.  If you
say 'dir', you'll get an empty list returned, just as if the directory
was actually empty.  In other words, you can't see sizes, and you can't
tell (without getting the ls-lR.Z at the top directory) which files are
directories.

Also, permissions don't match what it says in the listing, so large parts
of the tree (including the foreign language systems) are inaccessible.
(Of course, I can't see the permission bits, but I get 'permission denied'
when I try to cd there, anyway.)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
tih@barsoom.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, edb_tom@debet.nhh.no

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov6.034626.5161@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drz@po.cwru.edu writes:
>Does anyone have any information as to when the new Apple FTP site
>(ftp.apple.com) will be accessible via anonymous FTP?  I'd really like to get

About 3 weeks after System 7. :-)

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |