[comp.sys.mac.misc] Clip Art Cataloger

hallett@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (11/06/90)

Hi all.

I'm trying to find a clip art  cataloging application.  PictureBase is
pretty good, but it doesn't handle EPS files  and it requires  all the
catalog files on the same  disk which  eats a lot  of space.   Curator
scans disks and  presents  keyword  searches  and thumbnails,  but you
still  have to feed  it the  individual   disks.   I'm  looking  for a
combination of the two: something that keeps the bitmap thumbnails and
keywords  in one place,  but keeps the  location  of  the graphic file
rather than the  file  itself.  That  way, I  can scan my   catalog by
keyword or  thumbnail browse and when I  think I've found what I want,
it will tell me the disk and folder(s) in which to look for the actual
graphic.

Does such a thing exist?  If so, where do I get it?

Thanks.  If you mail me, I will summarize to the net.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (11/11/90)

In article <HALLETT.90Nov5132654@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com> hallettJ@gemed.ge.com writes:

>Hi all.
>
>I'm trying to find a clip art  cataloging application.  PictureBase is
>pretty good, but it doesn't handle EPS files  and it requires  all the
>catalog files on the same  disk which  eats a lot  of space.   Curator
>scans disks and  presents  keyword  searches  and thumbnails,  but you
>still  have to feed  it the  individual   disks.   I'm  looking  for a
>combination of the two: something that keeps the bitmap thumbnails and
>keywords  in one place,  but keeps the  location  of  the graphic file
>rather than the  file  itself.  That  way, I  can scan my   catalog by
>keyword or  thumbnail browse and when I  think I've found what I want,
>it will tell me the disk and folder(s) in which to look for the actual
>graphic.
>
>Does such a thing exist?  If so, where do I get it?
>
>Thanks.  If you mail me, I will summarize to the net.
>

>--
>	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
>      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
>	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallettJ@gemed.ge.com
>     "You mean there wasn't! Look! A chicken!  A black chicken!"

There's a program called Multi-Ad SEARCH, that does everything you want, is
blindingly fast, and is incredibly inexpensive.  It also suppors thumbnails,
and has already been accepted as a standard by several major clip-art vendors
to the point that these vendors are putting keywords and such in SEARCH's
format in their files.

I saw a demo of this at a MUG meeting - by the author, no less - tis amazing.

--
Mark Hartman