[comp.sys.mac.misc] 6.0.7 Idiosyncrasy ?

brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) (11/16/90)

I installed System 6.0.7 a couple of days ago, and have
noticed that when I eject a disk with Command-E, the disk
does eject, but the disk icon remains, though unhilited.

Periodically, the my Mac asks for that old disk back before
it will perform any other task...any totally *unrelated*
task (like calling up a DA).

What gives?

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (11/16/90)

brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) writes:

>I installed System 6.0.7 a couple of days ago, and have
>noticed that when I eject a disk with Command-E, the disk
>does eject, but the disk icon remains, though unhilited.

>Periodically, the my Mac asks for that old disk back before
>it will perform any other task...any totally *unrelated*
>task (like calling up a DA).

>What gives?

This is not an idiosyncracy of 6.0.7.  As far as I know, this is a
standard 'feature' of all versions of the Mac OS.  It allows you to copy
files from one disk to another if you have only one disk drive (as the
original macs did).  Unfortunately, eventually the Mac OS decides that
it wants to write something to the disk - usually it wants to update the
desktop file.  It will therefore ask you to insert the disk, which can
be quite annoying - especially if the disk is no longer available.  (The
only way out I've found here is rebooting - anyone have any tricks to
convince the OS to leave well enough alone?)

The way to avoid this is to drag the disk to the trash.  This not only
ejects the disk, it dismounts it.  The OS is forced to do all its
changes to the disk before it ejects it.  The icon then disappears
(unless the disk is the startup volume, which can't be dismounted.)

Hope this helps, and hasn't confused things any further...

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/16/90)

In article <draphsor.658724837@elaine0.stanford.edu> draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu writes:

>The way to avoid this is to drag the disk to the trash.  This not only
>ejects the disk, it dismounts it.  The OS is forced to do all its
>changes to the disk before it ejects it.  The icon then disappears
>(unless the disk is the startup volume, which can't be dismounted.)

Or even better yet, select the disk by clicking on it, and hit
<Command> <Option> <double E> (hit E twice).  This will both eject
the disk and also dismount it.

Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/16/90)

In article <1678@gold.gvg.tek.com> brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) writes:

>I installed System 6.0.7 a couple of days ago, and have
>noticed that when I eject a disk with Command-E, the disk
>does eject, but the disk icon remains, though unhilited.
>
>Periodically, the my Mac asks for that old disk back before
>it will perform any other task...any totally *unrelated*
>task (like calling up a DA).
>
>What gives?

>BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
>Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
>Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
>brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.

Nothing, that's how Command-E works!!
                     Jack

brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) (11/16/90)

From article <draphsor.658724837@elaine0.stanford.edu>, by draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson):
> This is not an idiosyncracy of 6.0.7.  As far as I know, this is a
> standard 'feature' of all versions of the Mac OS.  It allows you to copy
> files from one disk to another if you have only one disk drive (as the
> original macs did).  Unfortunately, eventually the Mac OS decides that
> it wants to write something to the disk - usually it wants to update the
> desktop file.  It will therefore ask you to insert the disk, which can
> be quite annoying - especially if the disk is no longer available.  (The
> only way out I've found here is rebooting - anyone have any tricks to
> convince the OS to leave well enough alone?)

If you type a Command-. (command-period) repeatedly, the alert will
finally go away and allow one to procede.  I'm not sure if this has
any side effects, but I have never had problems, and I can't picture
any side effects unless you *wanted* the Desktop to be updated or
something like that.
--
Brian S. Schang   N8FOG          brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us
46131 Academy Drive              schang@caen.engin.umich.edu

In article <1678@gold.gvg.tek.com> brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) writes:

>I installed System 6.0.7 a couple of days ago, and have
>noticed that when I eject a disk with Command-E, the disk
>does eject, but the disk icon remains, though unhilited.
>
>Periodically, the my Mac asks for that old disk back before
>it will perform any other task...any totally *unrelated*
>task (like calling up a DA).
>
>What gives?

This is standard behavior-- since Finder 1.1g.   The Finder is trying to keep
the desktop file consistent, and does so every time you do a context switch
(i.e. launch application, call up DA)

ralphm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ralph Melton) (11/16/90)

In article <draphsor.658724837@elaine0.stanford.edu> draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:
>Unfortunately, eventually the Mac OS decides that
>it wants to write something to the disk - usually it wants to update the
>desktop file.  It will therefore ask you to insert the disk, which can
>be quite annoying - especially if the disk is no longer available.  (The
>only way out I've found here is rebooting - anyone have any tricks to
>convince the OS to leave well enough alone?)

>Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

Command-period.  I rarely have luck with pressing it once, but two or
three presses will almost always make the "please insert disk Missing"
go away.

Ralph
--

Ralph Melton
ralphm@portia.stanford.edu

khcg0492@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Holden Chang) (11/16/90)

Brandon Lovested asked about the vagaries of command-E (why the disk icon
remains and why the computer asks for the disk to be reinserted).

In article <draphsor.658724837@elaine0.stanford.edu>
draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) replied:
>This is not an idiosyncracy of 6.0.7.  As far as I know, this is a
>standard 'feature' of all versions of the Mac OS.  It allows you to copy
>files from one disk to another if you have only one disk drive (as the
>original macs did).  Unfortunately, eventually the Mac OS decides that
>it wants to write something to the disk - usually it wants to update the
>desktop file.  It will therefore ask you to insert the disk, which can
>be quite annoying - especially if the disk is no longer available.  (The
>only way out I've found here is rebooting - anyone have any tricks to
>convince the OS to leave well enough alone?)

Command-period sometimes works. Sometimes you have to hit command-period
several times. Sometimes the computer is really stubborn and you have to
reboot.
  Kenneth Chang                         *   khcg0492@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
  Center for Complex Systems Research   *             or
  University of Illinois                *   kc@complex.ccsr.uiuc.edu

kenney@hsi86.hsi.com (Brian Kenney) (11/16/90)

In article <draphsor.658724837@elaine0.stanford.edu> draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:

>desktop file.  It will therefore ask you to insert the disk, which can
>be quite annoying - especially if the disk is no longer available.  (The
>only way out I've found here is rebooting - anyone have any tricks to
>convince the OS to leave well enough alone?)

Yes.  When the dialog box prompts you to insert the old disk, enter
"<open-apple> ." (that's open-apple period).   You may have to do
this twice, but it should make that dialog box go away.

--bri
--
Brian Kenney                                            kenney@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems                           Wallingford, CT

jo1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Oplinger) (11/17/90)

>I installed System 6.0.7 a couple of days ago, and have
>noticed that when I eject a disk with Command-E, the disk
>does eject, but the disk icon remains, though unhilited.
>
>Periodically, the my Mac asks for that old disk back before
>it will perform any other task...any totally *unrelated*
>task (like calling up a DA).
>
>What gives?

    This happens with all the mac systems.  You can attempt to dismiss a
"switch disk" dialog/alert by pressing coomand - period.  If the disk is
badly wanted (i.e. contains system files it is using or applications
you're running), the dialog will reappear.  Repeated dismissals of a
dialog that keeps popping up can then cause the Mac to think it's having
I/O problems and possibly crash.  If the disk contains nothing the mac
needs badly, usually one or two tries does the trick, and the system
will "unmount" the disk without needing to see it again.
    I believe that if you hold down option while pressing command - e to
eject a disk, it will unmount the volume (the icon will disappear) in
addition to just plain ejecting it.  This technique seems safest.  I
don't think it works for the fkeys (cmd shift 1 & 2) though...

                            -- Jeff