[comp.sys.mac.misc] Compactor vs StuffIt

CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu (James Chu) (11/14/90)

     Did anyone ever notice that Compactor doesn't compress digitized sound fil
es as well as the StuffIt does?!  Besides that, Compactor compress files mooooo
och better than the StuffIt, even better than the StuffIt Classic, which it com
press smaller and faster!!  Therefore, Compactor is the best choice for compres
s files for Mac!!

 :<)= :/) '-) P-) ;-) :-" :-v :-V :-W :-r<:-O :-T :-D :-[ =|:-)= 7:) :-# :-i
 :-o #:-o |-( :^) :-[#] (:-$ (:-&
 -) +<:-| [0-) (:-|K- ||*( ||*)        \/~              Chih-Chuan Chu (James)
 (:>-< /= - > ? (O--<                 (@ @)     BitNet: CCC105@PSUVM
 ?-( *:* *:** <:-)<<|                   %     InterNet: CCC105@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
 <&&> < >< B|^2B [:-)] ..---..          O        Phone: (717) 586-7580
 (:-( (:^( :<) -(=) &:-) &:-) @:-)                 BBS: (717) 586-7579
 :/i :-I :-x :-> :-( :-c :-< :-| :-? <:>== :*) :-8 (:-) <:-) :_) B-) 8-) #:-)

francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/15/90)

In article <90318.005914CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu> CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu (James Chu) writes:
>    Did anyone ever notice that Compactor doesn't compress digitized sound fil
>es as well as the StuffIt does?!  Besides that, Compactor compress files moooo
>och better than the StuffIt, even better than the StuffIt Classic, which it
>compress smaller and faster!!  Therefore, Compactor is the best choice for
>compress files for Mac!!

Sounds like a hasty conclusion.  Just because a program is better at what
it does doesn't mean it's the best one to use.  There are social-matrix
questions.  Namely, many people have StuffIt; but where is Compactor?

(This isn't intended as a putdown; I would like to know where to find
it.  Is it PD/shareware/freeware? If not, StuffIt Classic should remain
the standard.)
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |

CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu (James Chu) (11/15/90)

     You should be able to get Compactor from any bbs.  It's a shareware.  If y
ou still can't get it, you may e-mail to me.  I'll send you a copy!

 :<)= :/) '-) P-) ;-) :-" :-v :-V :-W :-r<:-O :-T :-D :-[ =|:-)= 7:) :-# :-i
 :-o #:-o |-( :^) :-[#] (:-$ (:-&
 -) +<:-| [0-) (:-|K- ||*( ||*)        \/~              Chih-Chuan Chu (James)
 (:>-< /= - > ? (O--<                 (@ @)     BitNet: CCC105@PSUVM
 ?-( *:* *:** <:-)<<|                   %     InterNet: CCC105@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
 <&&> < >< B|^2B [:-)] ..---..          O        Phone: (717) 586-7580
 (:-( (:^( :<) -(=) &:-) &:-) @:-)                 BBS: (717) 586-7579
 :/i :-I :-x :-> :-( :-c :-< :-| :-? <:>== :*) :-8 (:-) <:-) :_) B-) 8-) #:-)

pillera@etd4260a.erim.org (Joe Pillera) (11/15/90)

Is Compactor dead?  It hasn't been updated in months, so I'm almost at
the point of purchasing StuffIt Deluxe.  Is there any updates to
Compactor forthcoming?
--

-----
Joe Pillera                              ERIM

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely those of Joe Pillera,
            and not of ERIM or its affiliates.

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (11/15/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 14-Nov-90 Re: Compactor vs
> StuffIt(s). Francis Stracke@daisy.uc (1070)

> In article <90318.005914CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu> CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu
> (James Chu) writes:
>> Did anyone ever notice that Compactor doesn't compress digitized sound
>> files as well as the StuffIt does?!  Besides that, Compactor compress
>> files moooooch better than the StuffIt, even better than the StuffIt
>> Classic, which it compress smaller and faster!!  Therefore, Compactor is
>> the best choice for compress files for Mac!!

> Sounds like a hasty conclusion.  Just because a program is better at what
> it does doesn't mean it's the best one to use.  There are social-matrix
> questions.  Namely, many people have StuffIt; but where is Compactor?

Well, if you had checked either sumex-aim or rascal.ics.utexas, you
would have found it.  And, admittedly, claiming "the best choice" is a
little absolute, but I agree with James.  Try it; you'll like it.  And
it seems a little anti-progress to me to use an older, worse program
only because it is a standard.  Of course, if you don't like it, fine;
you don't have to use it--or pay for it, since it is shareware.

CCC105@psuvm.psu.edu (James Chu) (11/16/90)

In article <PILLERA.90Nov15075222@etd4260a.erim.org>, pillera@etd4260a.erim.org
(Joe Pillera) says:

>Is Compactor dead?  It hasn't been updated in months, so I'm almost at
>the point of purchasing StuffIt Deluxe.  Is there any updates to
>Compactor forthcoming?

     Well, I am not sure what version of Compactor you have.  But what I think
is that, if Compactor does better job than StuffIt(s) (which it is), then it
would be better for you to stay with Compactor.  I believe the author of
Compactor is not a fool.  He will update Compactor shortly.  Cya!  Yeah, by the
way, if you guys out there that doesn't know there are two programs that can
convert StuffIt files to Compactor files, and from StuffIt Classic file to
Compactor files.  Well, go ahead and get them from any bbs!  If you still can't
find those programs, let me know.  I'll send those programs to ya!  Cya!

 :<)= :/) '-) P-) ;-) :-" :-v :-V :-W :-r<:-O :-T :-D :-[ =|:-)= 7:) :-# :-i
 :-o #:-o |-( :^) :-[#] (:-$ (:-&
 -) +<:-| [0-) (:-|K- ||*( ||*)        \/~              Chih-Chuan Chu (James)
 (:>-< /= - > ? (O--<                 (@ @)     BitNet: CCC105@PSUVM
 ?-( *:* *:** <:-)<<|                   %     InterNet: CCC105@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
 <&&> < >< B|^2B [:-)] ..---..          O        Phone: (717) 586-7580
 (:-( (:^( :<) -(=) &:-) &:-) @:-)                 BBS: (717) 586-7579
 :/i :-I :-x :-> :-( :-c :-< :-| :-? <:>== :*) :-8 (:-) <:-) :_) B-) 8-) #:-)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (11/16/90)

To anyone replying to this thread, please drop comp.sys.mac.programmer
from the newsgroups.  There's no need to have it in both mac.misc and
mac.programmer.  It has nothing to do with programming.  Programmers
themselves will (hopefully) be reading mac.misc.  Mac.misc is a good
place for it.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/16/90)

Okay, somebody's pointed out to me that Compactor creates self-
extracting archives.  This, I suppose, actually makes it better than
StuffIt for distribution, since you don't need anything but the archive.
However, BinHex would still be a good thing, since (a) it gives ASCII,
which ensures Unix will never freak over it, and (b), BinHex recognizes
things that don't have a file type--which is pretty much sure to be the
case when you get it off a Unix-type machine--& you can't run an app
unless its type is APPL.  (This is actually a problem with StuffIt;
without going in somehow & forcing the thing to be the right type--
tricky [impossible?] when it doesn't have a type at all yet--I can't
get StuffIt to see the downloaded archives, unless they were BinHexed.)

leonardr@svc.portal.com (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.044114.2024@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>Okay, somebody's pointed out to me that Compactor creates self-
>extracting archives.  This, I suppose, actually makes it better than
>StuffIt for distribution, since you don't need anything but the archive.
	Stuffit Classic also offers the ability to save your archives in
'self-extracting' form, however unlike Compactor it also allows you REMOVE
the 'self-extracting' code later on should you choose!

>However, BinHex would still be a good thing, since (a) it gives ASCII,
>which ensures Unix will never freak over it, and (b), BinHex recognizes
>things that don't have a file type--which is pretty much sure to be the
>case when you get it off a Unix-type machine--& you can't run an app
>unless its type is APPL.  (This is actually a problem with StuffIt;
>without going in somehow & forcing the thing to be the right type--
>tricky [impossible?] when it doesn't have a type at all yet--I can't
>get StuffIt to see the downloaded archives, unless they were BinHexed.)

	Admittedly, not intuitively obvious, if you hold down the option key
when doing an 'Open Archive' in ANY version of Stuffit it will allow you
to choose ANY file to open.  This way, if somehow the type is invalid, or
you want to open self-extractors or installers, you can do so!

+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.044114.2024@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>Okay, somebody's pointed out to me that Compactor creates self-
>extracting archives.  This, I suppose, actually makes it better than
>StuffIt for distribution, since you don't need anything but the archive.

Stuffit has this feature built in also...

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"