[comp.sys.mac.misc] Programmers should move from mac to NeXT

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (11/14/90)

Most of the recent discussion in this group about comparisons between
macs and the NeXT machines has focused on (a) price and (b) raw
performance. With respect to price, it seems clear that those who
cannot possibly spend $3000 or more won't be getting a NeXT soon,
while those who can and who value MIPS and MFLOPS above all should
prefer a NeXT over a IIsi, IIci or IIfx.

Users who only want a machine in order to "run applications" out of
the shrink-wrapped box will probably not give up their macs now, since
the number (though not always the quality....)  of such applications
that run off the shelf is substantially higher than even the
optimistic projections of the NeXT Software & Peripherals catalog.
Alas, there's no NeXTinTax yet.

However, those users who intend to use their machine even just some of
the time for the development of new applications will surely find the
NeXT world to be a better one (always assuming their financial
circumstances are such as to make this a real matter of choice). Both
the software environment and the range of bundled software tools
provided by NeXT make it possible to do novel and productive things in
vastly less time and with vastly less hassle than on a mac. It seems
to me that readers of UseNet news are somewhat more likely to fall
into this category than the average mac user.

And it is precisely programmers who ought to be sensitive to another
relevant issue, which I'm quite surprised not to see discussed more
here: the fact that supporting Apple, for a programmer, is a form of
shooting oneself in the foot so long as Apple is agressively pursuing
legal actions whose purpose is to limit your freedom to write the best
software you can. Of course, the specific claims in the infamous
look-and-feel lawsuit may or may not impact the specific software you
want to write today, but the more basic principle which Apple is
attempting to establish would inevitably affect virtually all
programmers. To quote from a statement of the League for Programming
Freedom [1]:

  "Look and feel" lawsuits aim to create a new class of
  government-enforced monopolies broader in scope than ever before.
  Such a system of user-interface copyright would impose gratuitous
  incompatibility, reduce competition, and stifle innovation.

Programmers who attempt to develop on macs under A/UX find that the
range of available tools there is almost derisory, and what there is
is not up to date or fully functional. To have a useful C-compiler,
debugger or even a decent programming editor, it has been necessary to
port the work of the GNU project to A/UX: even Apple's developers use
GNUemacs and gcc. Reading about the reasons for which FSF/GNU does not
support this effort, or even condone it (though they do not directly
block or forbid such work on the part of others) has made many
programmers see that they really ought not to support Apple; but if
the only alternatives are MS-DOS machines or pure UNIX boxes, there
hasn't seemed to be much of a choice.

But of course there IS a choice. The NeXT offers an environment which
is every bit as easy to use as the mac, every bit as powerful as the
UNIX box, and as close to ideal from the programmer's point of view as
is likely to be seen in the real (commercial) world. And with a clear
performance edge over comparably priced Apple hardware.

Programmers have been looking for ways to avoid supporting Apple and
its advocacy of interface copyrights, software patents, etc. (or if
they haven't, they should have been....). Now there is a clear and
viable alternative that programmers should embrace and encourage, the
NeXT. Support your right to develop the best programs you can: move
from the monopolistic mac to the NeXT.

Steve Anderson

[1] more information about the League for Programming Freedom can be
obtained from its offices at 1 Kendall Square, #143, P.O. Box 9171,
Cambridge, MA 02139, tel. (617) 243-4091; or send internet mail to
league@prep.ai.mit.edu. A number of informative documents on these
issues can be retrieved via ftp from the directory u2/emacs/lpf on
prep.ai.mit.edu.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/15/90)

------
In article <ANDERSON.90Nov14082500@sapir.cog.jhu.edu>, anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes...

[...]
>                                                                 Both
>the software environment and the range of bundled software tools
>provided by NeXT make it possible to do novel and productive things in
>vastly less time and with vastly less hassle than on a mac. It seems
>to me that readers of UseNet news are somewhat more likely to fall
>into this category than the average mac user.

Remember, though, that you should compare NextStep to MacApp on the Mac -- with
all its associated tools -- not to "old-style" programming environments, e.g
MacPascal, etc.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/15/90)

In article <ANDERSON.90Nov14082500@sapir.cog.jhu.edu>, anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
[League for Programming Freedom stuff]:
|> viable alternative that programmers should embrace and encourage, the
|> NeXT. Support your right to develop the best programs you can: move
|> from the monopolistic mac to the NeXT.

I don't want to enter into the debate about whether LPF's boycott Apple
strategy is right / effective, but I wonder if NeXT is really in the LPF
camp. If you develop a NeXT application, and port it to another machine,
including copying the "look and feel" WITHOUT using a licenced version of
NeXTstep, what will NeXT's response be? They aren't giving their interface
technology away - it is rumoured to have cost IBM millions.
--
Philip Machanick

In article <1990Nov14.184025.22185@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes...

>In article <ANDERSON.90Nov14082500@sapir.cog.jhu.edu>, anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>[League for Programming Freedom stuff]:
>|> viable alternative that programmers should embrace and encourage, the
>|> NeXT. Support your right to develop the best programs you can: move
>|> from the monopolistic mac to the NeXT.
>
>I don't want to enter into the debate about whether LPF's boycott Apple
>strategy is right / effective, but I wonder if NeXT is really in the LPF
>camp. If you develop a NeXT application, and port it to another machine,
>including copying the "look and feel" WITHOUT using a licenced version of
>NeXTstep, what will NeXT's response be? They aren't giving their interface
>technology away - it is rumoured to have cost IBM millions.

Like Guy Kawasaki said in "The Macintosh Way": "EXERCISE: Write a high-end word
processor and spreadsheet for the NeXT machine.  Clone the look and feel of the
NeXT machine for another computer.  See if NeXT sues you". :->

I remember when the Next first came out someone wrote an INIT that made that
Mac look like a Next (more or less).  I heard at the time that Jobs got in
touch with whomever did it and told them to cut it out (maybe this was reported
in MacWeek, maybe it was a bogus rumour; who knows?).

Off the subject a bit, I think it takes a lot of gall to come into the Mac
newsgroup and post an article telling everyone why they shouldn't program the
Mac.  I think that anderson@sapir has a right to do so, since this is a free
country, but sheesh!

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (11/15/90)

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>Programmers who attempt to develop on macs under A/UX find that the
>range of available tools there is almost derisory, and what there is
>is not up to date or fully functional. To have a useful C-compiler,
>debugger or even a decent programming editor, it has been necessary to
>port the work of the GNU project to A/UX: even Apple's developers use
>GNUemacs and gcc.

Which can be said of NeXT, HP, Sun, DG, IBM, and DEC, for that matter.
None of these vendors bundles a really good environment. Some of them
bundle more bits (DEC's DecStations have a decent compiler, NeXT uses
GCC, etc), but most of them provide tragically bad tools. A/UX
compares _very_ well to competing Unix products. Yes, there are bad
tools; yes, some of the stuff is old; yes, many A/UX users have gone
to using GNU tools (hey, I'm one of the people doing lots of porting!).
That puts A/UX users just about even with people using other UNIX's;
it's not all that much of a slam of Apple to point out flaws that
every other major vendor's Unix shares.

I've developed (in the past 6 months) on: A/UX, SunOS, IRIX, DG/UX,
UMAX (Encore), HP/UX, and Ultrix. A/UX is behind in some areas and
ahead in others. On balance, it's about the most "compatible" unix
around (using SunOS as the reference point, as everyone now tends
to do). If GNU tools are used to provide part of that compatibility,
so are they on most of the other machines on my list.

>Reading about the reasons for which FSF/GNU does not
>support this effort, or even condone it (though they do not directly
>block or forbid such work on the part of others) has made many
>programmers see that they really ought not to support Apple; but if
>the only alternatives are MS-DOS machines or pure UNIX boxes, there
>hasn't seemed to be much of a choice.

Yes, and it's made a lot of other programmers think the FSF is being
tragically short-sighted and hypocritical. If look-and-feel suits
are a bad idea (and they are, especially given 75 year copyright
protection at stake), there are many more useful, less hypocritical,
and less damaging means of fighting them then the boycott. The
boycott has two virtues: it's very simple, and it makes people think
they're doing something positive.

And the FSF does try to block people porting to A/UX by refusing
to accept patches from A/UX developers while accepting patches from
everyone else. That's their right; they control their distribution
and they have the right to refuse assistance. But they are trying,
as best as possible, to block and hinder people supporting GNU tools,
and to block and hinder the growth of freely distributable software.
Apple distributed FSF code with A/UX 1.0; they stopped with 1.1,
and rumor has it that they stopped due to pressure from the FSF.

I won't dwell on NeXT's likelihood of ignoring look and feel;
however, Steve Jobs is known for his support of such ideas. NeXT
may find themselves on the other side of a FSF boycott one of
these days, too, along with just about everyone else.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov14.184025.22185@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>[League for Programming Freedom stuff]:
>NeXTstep, what will NeXT's response be? They aren't giving their interface
>technology away - it is rumoured to have cost IBM millions.

It's a well known fact, dude.  I heard it first on National Public Radio years
ago.  It cost IBM 10 or 12 million.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (11/17/90)

<Long article from anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu about how programmers should
embrace the NeXT as a replacement for the Evil Empire Apple deleted...>

You may not have noticed, but the LPF is not incredibly happy with NeXT at
the moment either. The *OTHER* big company that the LPF doesn't like is
Lotus, but right now, you have Steve Jobs and NeXT climbing into bed with
them and giving out free copies of Improv to everyone who buys a NeXT before
Dec. 31. Richard Stallman has encouraged everyone to *NOT* buy a NeXT until
this promotion is stopped and then tell NeXT why you waited. Note, I am not
sure whether I agree or disagree with LPF vis a vis Apple and Lotus, but
anyone who is preaching NeXT as the new gospel of the LPF needs to look at
the facts a little more. Anyway, for more info, check out comp.sys.next. I
think the thread dealing with this isssue is still floating around there.

The preceding has been another fine product of the fevered brain of

		       wirehead@oxy.edu

"When you need the most warped opinion, and you care enough to send the
very best, use wirehead..."fnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnordfnord

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (11/19/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 17-Nov-90 Re: Programmers
> should move.. David J. Harr@oxy.edu (1137)

> You may not have noticed, but the LPF is not incredibly happy with NeXT
> at the moment either. The *OTHER* big company that the LPF doesn't like
> is Lotus, but right now, you have Steve Jobs and NeXT climbing into bed
> with them and giving out free copies of Improv to everyone who buys a
> NeXT before Dec. 31. Richard Stallman has encouraged everyone to *NOT*
> buy a NeXT until this promotion is stopped and then tell NeXT why you
> waited. Note, I am not sure whether I agree or disagree with LPF vis a
> vis Apple and Lotus, but anyone who is preaching NeXT as the new gospel
> of the LPF needs to look at the facts a little more. Anyway, for more
> info, check out comp.sys.next. I think the thread dealing with this
> isssue is still floating around there.

That's kind of interesting, especially given that NeXT ships gcc and gdb
(and gas?) and gnu emacs, possibly among others, and is (was?)
apparently planning to send their Objective-C enhancements back to the
FSF for inclusion in gcc 2.0.  I wonder what will happen.