[comp.sys.mac.misc] NEED HELP

ch230978@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (cathy huttenhow) (11/19/90)

I was wondering if anyone knows of a program which will read a disk by
brute force.
I have a disc that is all of the sudden unreadable.  Whenever
I try to doing anything with it, the mac says that it needs to be
intialized.  I know that there is stuff on the disk.

I need information on any programs that would allow me to read
the disk without destroying it.  I would also like a copy of the
program if anyone can provide it.

C. Huttenhow

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (11/19/90)

In article <11296@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ch230978@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (cathy huttenhow) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone knows of a program which will read a disk by
>brute force.
>I have a disc that is all of the sudden unreadable.  Whenever
>I try to doing anything with it, the mac says that it needs to be
>intialized.  I know that there is stuff on the disk.
>
>I need information on any programs that would allow me to read
>the disk without destroying it.  I would also like a copy of the
>program if anyone can provide it.
>
>C. Huttenhow

Fedit Plus will let you do that.  You can choose 'Open Volume' and
then mount the disk even in the face of disk errors.  You can then
read any sectors that can be read at all; you can read them into a
buffer and write this out to a text file.  I imagine other disk
editors will let you do as much.  Fedit is marketed by MacMaster
Systems, 108 E. Fremont Ave., Suite 37, Sunnyvale CA 94037-3201, or at
least it was when I bought it several years ago.  The program is
getting a bit dated, however, and maybe some tool from Symantec would
be better.

By the way, my own first step in resuscitating a trashed disk is to
make a copy of it using Copy-to-Mac's sector copy option.  Not only
does prudence dictate a copy before messing with a disk that has
important data, but often this is all that's required!  Copy-to-Mac is
very good at reading 'weak' disks and reconstructing what was on them.

John E. Doner	       | "The beginner...should not be discouraged if...he
Mathematics, UCSB      | finds that he does not have the prerequisites for
Santa Barbara, CA 93106| reading the prerequisites."
doner@henri.ucsb.edu   |      --Paul Halmos, Measure Theory