[comp.sys.mac.misc] Disk Cataloger

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (11/16/90)

I have lotsa floppies fulla tiny files (programs, docs, etc) and would
like to organize them, finally.  Does anyone know of any good catalog
programs that are shareware or public domain??

What I would like is something that runs, then I insert a disk and it
reads the directory, then spits it out and I insert another and it reads
it and adds it to a list, then I insert another, and so on, and so on...

Then I click on DONE and it sorts the list by size, date, diskname, etc.

Is there something like this out there?

Thanks,
Parker

--
 James Parker   (parker@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (11/17/90)

Get FileList 1.3 (?) from the sumex archives.  Awhile ago, just as I was
getting ready to post my nifty hypercard stack that catalogged disks AND
catalogged the files within Stuffit archives, the guy who wrote FileList
somehow read my mind and posted a real application that did the same thing,
only better!  He put out the source code along with it, so you could
customize it.  While it seems that Compactor may grab a share of the mac
compression war, FileList could use a routine that reads compactor archives,
so hopefully the author will add that soon (if not I've written a routine
that will do it).

My favorite use of FileList is to keep the little catalog on disk, an
whenever I need a file off a floppy, I just run FileList and it will tell me
which disk it's on.

 * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
 * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (11/20/90)

In article <1043@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>Does anyone know of any good catalog
>programs that are shareware or public domain??

Yes, there are a couple of PD or shareware programs that do exactly
what you require. I forget their names - on is called, I think,
dlibrary or something like that. They are available from the
BMUG at (415) 549-2684. I use one of them constantly. If you call,
they will probably be able to send you the right disk for $4.

Rob

--
      Rob Weinberg                 Does a tree fall in the forest
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      if  1: no one hears it