[comp.sys.mac.misc] Reminder Software ?

gnat@milton.u.washington.edu (lbf) (11/18/90)

For the umpteenth time, I have forgotten to make a payment on an account...

About the only thing I do every day is work on my Mac, and I am wondering
if there is software out there that will send me a reminder on certain days
about monthly events...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Laura F			          |         "To be kind and awake to oursleves
gnat@milton.u.washington.edu      |          unworthiness opens us to our

In article <11321@milton.u.washington.edu> gnat@milton.u.washington.edu (lbf) writes:
>About the only thing I do every day is work on my Mac, and I am wondering
>if there is software out there that will send me a reminder on certain days
>about monthly events...

I think Alarming Events by CE Software will do this-- I think there is
a fully functional (for 30 days) demo up on sumex.

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (11/20/90)

(lbf) writes:
> About the only thing I do every day is work on my Mac, and I am wondering
> if there is software out there that will send me a reminder on certain
days
> about monthly events...
>
> Any suggestions?

I would suggest you get a copy of Alarming Events by CE Software. It has a
well-integrated calendar and reminder program. You can set all manner of
reminder types and maintain a list of "Things To Do". It costs about $20
more than Smart Alarms at MacConnection, but I think it's worth it. I used
to use Smart Alarms, but didn't care for the interface. The December 1990
issue of MacWorld has a review/comparison of both, although the reviewer
preferred Smart Alarms. I'm in a situation similar to yours (chained to a
Mac all day) and have found Alarming Events to be easier to use.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (11/20/90)

In article <4341@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:

|I would suggest you get a copy of Alarming Events by CE Software. It has a
|well-integrated calendar and reminder program. You can set all manner of
|reminder types and maintain a list of "Things To Do". It costs about $20
|more than Smart Alarms at MacConnection, but I think it's worth it. I used
|to use Smart Alarms, but didn't care for the interface. The December 1990
|issue of MacWorld has a review/comparison of both, although the reviewer
|preferred Smart Alarms. I'm in a situation similar to yours (chained to a
|Mac all day) and have found Alarming Events to be easier to use.

I haven't seen Alarming Events, but I'd have to agree that it's worth trying
before Smart Alarms.  I have used Smart Alarms for years, putting up with
it's interface.  I recently upgraded to version 3.04 to get the ability to
prevent reminders from freezing my telecomm software, but I'm not really
happy with it.

For one, you get the documentation pages with the $25 upgrade, but if you
don't have a binder, they'll send you a "FREE" one for $5 shipping and
handling.

Two, Smart Alarms conficts with Suitcase II.  It's another one of those
INITs that install themselves in the DA Menu (like Suitcase).  If you use
the Suitcase modifier key to pull down the Apple Menu with just DA's,
Smart Alarms keeps installing itself again and again in the DA menu.  Using
anything in the DA menu after that will result in an eventual crash.  This
only happens in MultiFinder, and you can work around it by making sure
Suitcase loads before Smart Alarms.  THEN, when you pull down the Apple Menu
with the Suitcase modifier key, Smart Alarms ISN'T there!  But at least it
doesn't keep reinstalling itself in the menu.  I wish JAM had just left
access to reminders as a menu option in the Appointments DA, rather than
screwing around with the DA menu.

Smart Alarms does provide a bit more flexibility than Alarming Events,
according to the magazine article, but I don't think it's very solid.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.