[comp.sys.mac.misc] Color board for SE/30

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (11/19/90)

I am looking for a 8-bit color board for my very soon SE->SE/30 upgraded
macintosh. I would like to know about other peoples experience, and a
lsit of prices. I am NOT inteterested in packages which includes
monitor, as I am not able to afford the shipment (which will probably be
a few hundred bucks).

BTW: Until the end of the year Apple Denamrk is having an educational
discount on the SE to SE/30 upgrade kit, which means that it will only
cost $1000. This is the price without VAT, but it is very cheap if you
consider that I am living in Europe. There is a bit delay in delivery
though.The CD ROM is also available at an educational price of $670.

despite my signature I am calling from Denmark.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.233416.29868@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
 > I am looking for a 8-bit color board for my very soon SE->SE/30 upgraded
 > macintosh. I would like to know about other peoples experience, and a

How about RasterOps 264/SE30 color board (about $700 on shop).
Unfortunately (fortunately?:-) it is 24bit full color board, but still
not expensive, I think. In fact, 8bit boards of RasterOps are more
expensive than 264/SE30, because 264/SE30 displays only 640x480
(standard 13" color monitor size) but others can do several screen
sizes.
  I'm now using it on my SE/30 with Sony's 14" multiscan monitor with
satisfaction. You can select 8bit mode (256 colors) from Monitor CDEV
on "Control Panel" DA.

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (11/21/90)

I just got the Micron Xceed 13" board for my SE/30 (also upgraded from
an SE - it's a wonderful thing, that upgrade) along with the Apple 13"
color monitor. So far I like it a lot. I haven't had any trouble at
all after I turned the cable around. For some reason it didn't work if
one end was plugged into the card and the other into the monitor.
Reversing the ends worked. Perhaps I just wasn't getting a good
connection. That card cost $329 through MacConnection and I suspect
similar prices abound. (I was pleased, because they shipped it on
Sat for no extra charge and the card/monitor were a birthday present
to myself on Sunday :-))

enjoy...

PS: In my research, I also came across the RasterOps 208 which is a
about the same price, and the RasterOps 264/SE30, which is about $600
or so but gives you 24 bit color. Those were definitely the main
players other than Micron.

--
Adam C. Engst                         pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Editor of TidBITS, the weekly electronic Macintosh news journal