[comp.sys.mac.misc] Compuer Era Mac Prices

chase@ee.princeton.edu (Chris Chase) (11/21/90)

For the information of the net I thought I would post the prices of Macs
at Computer Era of NYC on Park Ave. South. These prices are as low or lower
than most academic prices I have seen (and some universities like Princeton
add a %10 handling fee in addition to sales tax). Source: Tuesday New York Times,
Science Section.

Mac Classic		$699
Mac Lc (2meg)		$1499
Mac SE/30		$2299
Mac IIsi		$2299
Mac IIci		$3399
Mac IIfx		$5699
Mac Portable		$3199

These units are just the basic units. No stipulations to buy any other
peripherals, but the prices are for payment by cash or certified check.

Chris Chase
ee.princeton.edu

das@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (David Sheppard) (11/21/90)

I just bought a IIsi from these folks.  Their prices *can* be good, but
they can be quite a hassle, too.  For instance, one must bodily show
up at their offices in NYC.  THEN they will ship to you to avoid the
10% sales tax, if you want.  Originally, they were going to beat my
academic price (pre-tax) for a IIsi with 5/40meg (~2640, no mon or
kybd).  Then I went there, waited for over an hour, finally got a different
salesperson (this is a sales area, NOT a 'store'), and had to bargain
like crazy to make my trip to NYC from Boston worth the drive.  I
rejected the salesman's "final offer", and was putting on my coat
when the sales supervisor came out & accepted my terms--$3100 for
IIsi, 5/40, nuBus/68882, 13"RGB apple monitor, no keyboard.  They
said my $160 academic price for the extended kybd was below their
cost.   Best of luck!

--das