[comp.sys.mac.misc] The *Real* reason I can't buy a NeXT

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (11/15/90)

  As the subject heading suggests, the *real* reason that I can't buy a
NeXT is not the price, nor my fear of new things (I'm no technophobe), but
the real reason I can't buy is a NeXT is because - that monitor is just to
darn big!!!!!
  I barely have room (height-wise) for a Plus with a HD underneath on my
desk!  There's no way that thing would fit on my little desk!

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/18/90)

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:

>  As the subject heading suggests, the *real* reason that I can't buy a
>NeXT is not the price, nor my fear of new things (I'm no technophobe), but
>the real reason I can't buy is a NeXT is because - that monitor is just to
>darn big!!!!!
>  I barely have room (height-wise) for a Plus with a HD underneath on my
>desk!  There's no way that thing would fit on my little desk!

This is preposterous: a NeXT is a lot more important than any other stuff you
might have on your desk :) More seriously, the NeXT does not have to be hard
to park.  Hang the monitor ABOVE the desk on one of these arms that are mounted
to the side of your desk or on the wall, and stick the system box vertically
on the floor next to your desk (if it's a NeXTstation; a NeXTcube could be
placed on a windowsill if floorspace is limited).

If you could buy a Rolls for the price of an Accord, and the Rolls had better
mileage, would you also refuse that opportunity because the Rolls was too
large?

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (11/19/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 18-Nov-90 Re: The *Real* reason
> I can.. Boris Levitin@world.std. (1028)

> If you could buy a Rolls for the price of an Accord, and the Rolls had
> better mileage, would you also refuse that opportunity because the Rolls
> was too large?

If he had a sufficiently small garage, he probably would refuse the
opportunity. :-)

In article <1990Nov18.101641.7459@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:

>If you could buy a Rolls for the price of an Accord, and the Rolls had better
>mileage, would you also refuse that opportunity because the Rolls was too
>large?

If the size meant that that the Rolls wouldn't fit in the garage, but rather
had to be parked out in a NYC street, YES!

(but if I lived in NYC, and could afford an Accord, I'd probably pass up
them both and flee the city as fast as I could run)

carl@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov18.101641.7459@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:
>
>>  As the subject heading suggests, the *real* reason that I can't buy a
>>NeXT is not the price, nor my fear of new things (I'm no technophobe), but
>>the real reason I can't buy is a NeXT is because - that monitor is just to
>>darn big!!!!!
>
>This is preposterous: a NeXT is a lot more important than any other stuff you
>might have on your desk :) ...   [remember he used a smiley :)]
>
>If you could buy a Rolls for the price of an Accord, and the Rolls had better
>mileage, would you also refuse that opportunity because the Rolls was too
>large?

I can't resist... If I could buy a Rolls for the price of an accord, I might
still buy the accord.  Reason: I can get any gas station to fix problems on
the accord for $20-$40/hr, but I'll bet the Rolls' Dealers want close to $100
per hour for labor.  Maybe it doesn't need it quite so often, but if I have
it serviced regularly (needs it or not) it's going to be more expensive to
maintain than the Accord.

I have no idea on price/hr but I remember getting my '69 mustang worked on
for $20/hr and my neighbor with a BMW was paying $50/hr at the time.  I'm
not THAT rich (yet :-).

-Carl

--
Carl A Baltrunas 408/922-6206|SMTP:carl@doctor.TYMNET.COM,carl@tymix.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet (Network Services) |UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!doctor!carl