[comp.sys.mac.misc] Animation Program info

glmwc@iceman.jcu.oz (Matthew W Crowd) (11/20/90)

I'm looking for an Animation program for my MacII.
My requirements are that it should be able to do
60 frames/sec animation and realtime scaling with
simultaneous sound. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Matthew Crowd

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (11/21/90)

In article <1281@iceman.jcu.oz> glmwc@iceman.jcu.oz (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
>I'm looking for an Animation program for my MacII.
>My requirements are that it should be able to do
>60 frames/sec animation and realtime scaling with
>simultaneous sound. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Buy another computer.  The people who wrote The Disney Animation
Studio tried a port to the Mac, and could only get 2 frames/sec.
Also note, that they are damn good programers, and if they can't do
it, I duobt anyone else can.

BTW, why do you need 60 fps?  Standard film is 24 (and normally
only 12 or 8 (japaneese)) and television used 30 fps.

>Matthew Crowd

                                                       Rick Blewitt
                                                       rblewitt@ucsd

gee@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Thomas Gee) (11/21/90)

In article <1281@iceman.jcu.oz> glmwc@iceman.jcu.oz (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
>I'm looking for an Animation program for my MacII.
>My requirements are that it should be able to do
>60 frames/sec animation and realtime scaling with
>simultaneous sound. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>Matthew Crowd

Another computer?

More seriously, for a machine that is supposed to have such wonderful graphics
abilities, the Mac is dreadfully lacking in terms of graphics speed.  Every
try to write an animation program on a machine without double buffering?  I
want my SGI Iris back!

A while ago, the author of Solarian posted an article on implementing
double buffering on Macs in assembler.  Does anyone have this article
around?  I (foolishly) didn't save it, and I've run into a wall trying to
implement some smooth animation routines.

BTW: you might want to check out MACWORLD, the June 1989 issue entitled
"Film, Video, Animation", which contains a review of a number of animation
programs.

Tom.

Thomas Gee       |
Aerospace Group  | a man in search of a quote
DCIEM, DND       |
Canada           | gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca