[comp.sys.mac.misc] Zedcor -- DeskDraw / DeskPaint

bruceh@.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) (11/21/90)

I saw an ad in the Dec. 90 issue of MacUser for a limited time offer to
change from any other draw/paint program to Zedcor's DeskDraw and
DeskPaint DA set for $50.

My question is for anyone who has purchased these two DAs, either through this
offer or in the Desk set of DAs they sell:

How good are these two DAs?
    They sound pretty powerful.  How do they compare to SuperPaint 2.x or UltrPaint
    or MacDraw II or Canvas?

I sent for brochures and the feature set is quite impressive but I don't think they
are quite as powerful as some of the features found in the others (based on what I
have heard).

Please let me know your opinions and experiences with them.

Thanks!!

--Bruce

--
*** These are my opinions and not necessarily those of MGC ***
Bruce Holm                     /  (503) 626-7000

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.230946.3352@mentor.com> bruceh@.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) writes:
>My question is for anyone who has purchased these two DAs, either through this
>offer or in the Desk set of DAs they sell:
>
>How good are these two DAs?
>They sound pretty powerful.  How do they compare to SuperPaint 2.x or UltrPaint
>    or MacDraw II or Canvas?

I've had both since they were released and recently upgraded. The paint DA is
very nice, and more than adequate for my needs. (I dumped SuperPaint 1.0 when
I got it, and also tend to use DeskPaint in preference to Canvas.)
DeskDraw, in my opinion, is terrible. It is very slow, and has always crashed
on any system I've tried it with over the years. I'm sure it works for some
people, but I didn't find it powerful enough to worry about (e.g., it doesn't
provide arrow-heads, which I need). I always used Canvas DA instead, and now
that I have enough memory, just switch to FreeHand or Illustrator through
Multifinder.
--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.