[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why doesn't Apple support their users and developers?

hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) (11/22/90)

I just called APDA up to get a version of MacsBugs that will run
on my Mac IIfx.  I am told that version 6.1, the only version that
Apple is shipping is NOT fx compatible.  I've had my fx for almost
4 months and Apple STILL doesn't have a version of MacsBugs that won't
hang my system?

Does anyone have a low level debugger that will run on the fx that
has multiple monitors and with 32 bit QuickDraw (and a SuperMac Spectrum
III card running in millions of colors mode)?

Also, any hints as to where I can find documentation on 32 bit QuickDraw
would be appreciated.  I have ordered the first issue to d e v e l o p,
now i just have to wait until they can find one to send to me.

Maybe I should return my Mac's.  They aren't quite worth the trouble.

How can Apple afford to not support their users?  I'm not going to be
justifying the purchase of any new Mac's to my employer or friends in
the near future after this.

julia hsieh              My opinions are not intended to reflect
hsieh@rscene.hac.com     those of Hughes Aircraft Company.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (11/22/90)

In article <11885@hacgate.UUCP> hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) writes:

>I just called APDA up to get a version of MacsBugs that will run
>on my Mac IIfx.  I am told that version 6.1, the only version that
>Apple is shipping is NOT fx compatible.  I've had my fx for almost
>4 months and Apple STILL doesn't have a version of MacsBugs that won't
>hang my system?
>
>Does anyone have a low level debugger that will run on the fx that
>has multiple monitors and with 32 bit QuickDraw (and a SuperMac Spectrum
>III card running in millions of colors mode)?

Version 6.2b1 of Macsbug, which works fine on a IIfx, is on the latest
developer's CD, The Night of the Living Disc.  This CD was mailed out
to all registered developers more than a month ago.  I agree it should
have been made available when the IIfx first shipped.

I think that if you had linked DTS instead of APDA, they would have
sent the new Macsbug to you.

David

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/22/90)

-----
In article <11885@hacgate.UUCP>, hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) writes...

>I just called APDA up to get a version of MacsBugs that will run
>on my Mac IIfx.  I am told that version 6.1, the only version that
>Apple is shipping is NOT fx compatible.  I've had my fx for almost
>4 months and Apple STILL doesn't have a version of MacsBugs that won't
>hang my system?
>
>Does anyone have a low level debugger that will run on the fx that
>has multiple monitors and with 32 bit QuickDraw (and a SuperMac Spectrum
>III card running in millions of colors mode)?

You might give ICOM Simulations (Wheeling, IL) a call and ask them about their
debugger TMON.  It might work.  I'm pretty sure that there are later (beta)
versions of MacsBug than 6.1.

>Also, any hints as to where I can find documentation on 32 bit QuickDraw
>would be appreciated.

Try ftp'ing anonymously to apple.com.  I think there are 32 bit QD docs there.

>Maybe I should return my Mac's.  They aren't quite worth the trouble.

You are VERY easily discouraged.  Perhaps indeed you should, since learning to
program the Mac is not entirely easy and you may encounter other difficulties
in the future.

>How can Apple afford to not support their users?  I'm not going to be
>justifying the purchase of any new Mac's to my employer or friends in
>the near future after this.

Let me get this straight: the MacsBug APDA is selling isn't IIfx compatible,
you haven't yet been able to get 32 bit QD docs, and  d e v e l o p  hasn't
started your subscription yet, and you say Apple doesn't support developers?
Sheesh.

Try this:

1)  Extensive FREE support from Apple DTS and other Apple folk via this very
newsgroup.  Oftentimes direct from the people who write the system software,
MacApp, etc.  No charge.

2) tech note subscription from APDA (or download it from comp.binaries.mac or
ftp it from apple.com).  $25 or no charge.

3) Essentials/Tools/Objects for MPW users is a quarterly CD-ROM subscription to
all MPW products as well as many alpha and beta tools, etc.  $1000 starter fee
if you have not MPW things; $300 a year if you have them all.

4) d e v e l o p   magazine, an excellent resource including a CD-ROM
chock-a-block full of good stuff.  $30/year.

5) Apple Partners: receive discounts on equipment, direct access to DTS,
developer materials, etc.  $600/year if you qualify.

6) Apple Associates: all of the above except direct DTS access.  $350/year if
you qualify.

So, if you're just a hobbyist, then items number 1,2 and 4 should suffice and
are quite inexpensive.  If you're pro or work for a company, check out 3 or 5
or 6.

But don't complain that Apple doesn't support developers.

Robert

>julia hsieh              My opinions are not intended to reflect
>hsieh@rscene.hac.com     those of Hughes Aircraft Company.
= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =