[comp.sys.mac.misc] Rebuild of Desktop

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (11/13/90)

 I tried to rebuild by desktop today, and got an error..."The desktop
 could not be completely rebuilt (finder out of memory)".  It cleans
 it out OK under MonoFinder, but not under MultiFinder.  The desktop
 is about 94K, and it's a 40 MB HD with about 5 MB free.  I've got
 5 MB of memory and yanked all the inits.  It's an SE/30.

 Suggestions?

Don McGregor             | "I too seek the light, so long as it tastes
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  great and is not too filling."

drew@pollux.anu.oz.au (Drew Corrigan) (11/14/90)

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) writes:

> I tried to rebuild by desktop today, and got an error..."The desktop
> could not be completely rebuilt (finder out of memory)".  It cleans
> it out OK under MonoFinder, but not under MultiFinder.  The desktop
> is about 94K, and it's a 40 MB HD with about 5 MB free.  I've got
> 5 MB of memory and yanked all the inits.  It's an SE/30.

> Suggestions?

I don't have an answer but would like to add that a friend asked me about
a similar thing the other day. He too, received the "Finder out of memory"
message when attempting to rebuild the desktop. I don't recall whether he
was running MultiFinder or not. He also had an SE/30 with 5Mb of memory.

Anyone in the know able to explain what is the significance of this "out
of memory" message?

Drew.
---
Drew Corrigan  (drew@anucsd.anu.oz.au)
Department of Computer Science, Australian National University

woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (11/14/90)

>> I tried to rebuild by desktop today, and got an error..."The desktop
>> could not be completely rebuilt (finder out of memory)".  It cleans
>> it out OK under MonoFinder, but not under MultiFinder.  The desktop
>> is about 94K, and it's a 40 MB HD with about 5 MB free.  I've got
>> 5 MB of memory and yanked all the inits.  It's an SE/30.
>
>I don't have an answer but would like to add that a friend asked me about
>a similar thing the other day. He too, received the "Finder out of memory"
>message when attempting to rebuild the desktop. I don't recall whether he
>was running MultiFinder or not. He also had an SE/30 with 5Mb of memory.
>
>Anyone in the know able to explain what is the significance of this "out
>of memory" message?

I used to get these messages with Finder all the time under MultiFinder.
The cure?  Finder, when shipped, is set with a 160K partition under MultiFinder.
This is too small for some operations.  To fix, set the partition given to
Finder a little larger; this can be done by using 'Get Info...' on the
'Finder' application in your system folder, and changing the value in the
'Application Memory Size (K):' to something larger, like 256.  This will
allocate more memory to the Finder, curing the "Finder out of memory" blues.

Hope this helps.

--
	William Edward Woody		   | Disclamer:
USNAIL	P.O.Box 50986; Pasadena, CA 91115  |

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (11/14/90)

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) writes:
> I tried to rebuild by desktop today, and got an error..."The desktop
> could not be completely rebuilt (finder out of memory)".  It cleans
> it out OK under MonoFinder, but not under MultiFinder.  The desktop
> is about 94K, and it's a 40 MB HD with about 5 MB free.  I've got
> 5 MB of memory and yanked all the inits.  It's an SE/30.

What you need to do is increase the memory partition of the finder.  Go into
the system folder and do "Get Info" on the Finder file.  Change the default
size (160K, if memory serves) to something like 200 to 300K (depending on how
much memory you can spare, and how big a desktop file you need to work with,
etc). Reboot and everything should work now.

Lawrence Miller

francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.073549.660@midway.uchicago.edu> lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) writes:
>mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) writes:
>> I tried to rebuild by desktop today, and got an error..."The desktop
>> could not be completely rebuilt (finder out of memory)".  It cleans
>> it out OK under MonoFinder, but not under MultiFinder.  The desktop
>> is about 94K, and it's a 40 MB HD with about 5 MB free.  I've got
>> 5 MB of memory and yanked all the inits.  It's an SE/30.
>
>What you need to do is increase the memory partition of the finder.  Go into
>the system folder and do "Get Info" on the Finder file.  Change the default
>size (160K, if memory serves) to something like 200 to 300K (depending on how
>much memory you can spare, and how big a desktop file you need to work with,
>etc). Reboot and everything should work now.

What Apple needs to do is set up Finder to use the temporary-memory calls
from MF when rebuilding, the way it does when copying.

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (11/20/90)

In article <drew.658534939@pollux> drew@pollux.anu.oz.au (Drew Corrigan) writes:
>I don't have an answer but would like to add that a friend asked me about
>a similar thing the other day. He too, received the "Finder out of memory"
>message when attempting to rebuild the desktop.

I used to get this message a lot too, whenever I tried to open a folder
with 500 or 600 files in it.

>Anyone in the know able to explain what is the significance of this "out
>of memory" message?

>> Suggestions?

Well, why don't you do what I did, which is go into your system folder,
select the finder, do command-i to open the get info box, and increase
the amount of memory that the finder gets?

--
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (11/22/90)

In article <3161@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) writes...
>>mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) writes:
>>> I tried to rebuild by desktop today, and got an error..."The desktop
>>> could not be completely rebuilt (finder out of memory)".

>[increase Finder memory]

 Run Desktop Manager. I've successfully rebuilt desktop files with it on disks
 that would have made Finder choke.

 I believe Apple sanctions Desktop Mgr. for use only on Appleshare volumes,
 but I've been running it on a local hard drive for months with no problems.
 Your mileage may vary of course, so keep good backups.

 /~~)  /~~  /   |      long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com       | Don't take life too
/~~\  /__  /__  | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | seriously; you won't
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | get out alive anyway.