[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacIIsi.question.

md2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mohanish Deshmukh) (11/21/90)

I'm thinking of buying a IIsi and would like to know if any of you know
of any problems with this machine?
I've heard that the EXCEL dosent run well on this mac without the math
coprocesser. Are there any other things that i should be aware of?

Thanks,
Mohanish

vaps0de@prism.gatech.EDU (Dustin Emhart) (11/22/90)

In article <8bGUkc600UhW0=nVRK@andrew.cmu.edu> md2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mohanish Deshmukh) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying a IIsi and would like to know if any of you know
>of any problems with this machine?
>I've heard that the EXCEL dosent run well on this mac without the math

Excel version 2.2 will not work on a IIsi without a coprocessor (See my previous
post:  What is error #90?  It means "FPU not available.")

However, Microsoft will send a free update (2.2a) which checks for the FPU,
and will bypass it if it is not present.

Microsoft Word and SAS JMP work fine.
--
Dustin Emhart
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!vaps0de

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/22/90)

In article <8bGUkc600UhW0=nVRK@andrew.cmu.edu>, md2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mohanish Deshmukh) writes...

>I've heard that the EXCEL dosent run well on this mac without the math
>coprocesser. Are there any other things that i should be aware of?

Not true -- Excel version 2.2a (a free upgrade for Excel 2.2 users)
corrects this by checking first to see if the FPU is present.

Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/23/90)

In article <8bGUkc600UhW0=nVRK@andrew.cmu.edu> md2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mohanish Deshmukh) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying a IIsi and would like to know if any of you know
>of any problems with this machine?
>I've heard that the EXCEL dosent run well on this mac without the math
>coprocesser. Are there any other things that i should be aware of?

I'm quite happy with my IIsi. It seems to run everything my old SE did
(but faster :-), incl. Excel (v2.2). Everything except some games, that is.

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.