[comp.sys.mac.misc] A modest proposal...

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/20/90)

Here's a dilemna...

Consider an anti-virus virus.  The Mac community has a number of excellent
virus detection and repair programs available commercially and in the public
domain.  Unfortunately, there are far too many people who are naive with regard
to viruses and/or do not practice safe computing.  A virus whose sole intention
was to propagate and eradicate the more virile strains affecting the Mac
community might seem an effective solution.

Let me say a few things up front so as to circumvent a lot of flames and
confusion.  I have not written such a beast, have never written a virus, do not
have the know-how to create any such virus, and would not write a virus -
however benevolent.  I would niether encourage the creation of such a virus.  I
propose this as more of an intellectual dilemna for debate.  When both sides
are considered - cooly - there are some interesting arguments to support such a
beast.  I do feel however that discussion of such an organism should not be
hushed net (as it has been suggested regarding topics of "hacking" and the
removal of copy-protection schemes).

The point of view I speak from.  I work at an under-funded computer lab on a
university campus.  The MDEF and nVIR viruses have been particularly rampant of
late.  The typical user has no concept of the computer virus and come merely to
type up their term papers.  Unfortunately, they are probably the primary
carriers (unwittingly) of the viruses.  We don't have money for hard drives on
all our Macs, so virus-protecting INIT's and other system 'baggage' have to be
kept to a minumum.  I can see no end to the proliferation of viruses.

A "travelling" virus eradicator occurred to me (as it has probably occurred to
others).  It would not require the user to "manually" check their disks.  It
would check to see that no more than one copy of itself resides on a disk.  It
would have an expiration date (read off the Mac clock - say, 1992) at which
time it would erase itself.  It would be small (say, less than 10K if
possible).  It would not attatch itself to applications or files (perhaps it
would simply make itself invisible - a lame camouflage, but sufficient
considering the users it is targeted to serve).

Problems?  The ethical one of course.  That is, "No program or code shall copy
itself from one medium to another without the consent, knowledge, and approval
of the user."  The only other problem I foresee is one of poor programing -
incompatibility with existing systems, software, or machines - and
incompatibility with future versions of systems, software and machines.  A
final thought - the possibility that someone with less benevolant intent would
modify it to destructive ends.

Please, if you e-mail me, I can't reply.  I STILL haven't figured out the mail
here.  I can read but can't reply.  (I think there's a file missing in my
account).  Well, now that I've opened THIS can of worms up...

john calhoun

wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) (11/21/90)

In article <27013.27483646@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Here's a dilemna...
>
>Consider an anti-virus virus.  The Mac community has a number of excellent
>virus detection and repair programs available commercially and in the public
>domain. Unfortunately, there are far too many people who are naive with regard
>to viruses and/or do not practice safe computing. A virus whose sole intention
>was to propagate and eradicate the more virile strains affecting the Mac
>community might seem an effective solution.

>The point of view I speak from.  I work at an under-funded computer lab on a
>university campus. The MDEF and nVIR viruses have been particularly rampant of
>late. The typical user has no concept of the computer virus and come merely to
>type up their term papers.  Unfortunately, they are probably the primary
>carriers (unwittingly) of the viruses.  We don't have money for hard drives on
>all our Macs, so virus-protecting INIT's and other system 'baggage' have to be
>kept to a minumum.  I can see no end to the proliferation of viruses.
>
>A "travelling" virus eradicator occurred to me (as it has probably occurred to
>others).  It would not require the user to "manually" check their disks.  It
>would check to see that no more than one copy of itself resides on a disk.  It
>would have an expiration date (read off the Mac clock - say, 1992) at which
>time it would erase itself.  It would be small (say, less than 10K if
>possible).  It would not attatch itself to applications or files (perhaps it
>would simply make itself invisible - a lame camouflage, but sufficient
>considering the users it is targeted to serve).
>
>Problems?  The ethical one of course.  That is, "No program or code shall copy
>itself from one medium to another without the consent, knowledge, and approval
>of the user."  The only other problem I foresee is one of poor programing -
>incompatibility with existing systems, software, or machines - and
>incompatibility with future versions of systems, software and machines.  A
>final thought - the possibility that someone with less benevolant intent would
>modify it to destructive ends.

...why are you minimizing the ethical considerations?  To affect someone or
his or her work by deceit (or by force), REGARDLESS of the intent, is a
violation of that person.

   I'm frightened about the fact that you could continue to pose the question,
and that you seemed to take the idea somewhat seriously.  Once you disregard
the morality of your actions (on a rational individualism, not on an arbitrary
religious morality), what standard do you have against which to judge your
actions?  The benefit to others?  Have you discussed this personally with the
several million people who would be susceptible to such a virus?  Leave the
individual decisions to the individual.  If your lab needs protection, either
make the equipment capable of handling it, or forgo the automatic protection,
and prepare another procedure for dealing with the viruses you already have.

Other problems?

- You have no control over the extent of this virus.
- You have no control over future modification of this virus.
- You introduce another variable into problems people may have.
- You cannot repair viruses with it.
- Given that it's copying itself over and over, there are a number of
   opportunities for corruption.

Think about what you're saying...

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.171542.8779@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) writes:
>- You have no control over the extent of this virus.
>- You have no control over future modification of this virus.
>- You introduce another variable into problems people may have.
>- You cannot repair viruses with it.
>- Given that it's copying itself over and over, there are a number of
>   opportunities for corruption.

  What if it gives the user an opportunity to refuse?  Throws up an
informational dialog and lets the user choose whether to install it?
Provides a means by which to remove it if it causes trouble?

  I think that if people were aware of such a thing it might not be so bad,
as long as they were given the chance to refuse infection by such an
anti-virus virus.

  I'm not necessarily posing this question seriously, but do you think this
might lighten some of the ethical difficulty?

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (11/21/90)

In article <9720@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
           wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
> In article <1990Nov20.171542.8779@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>            wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) writes:
> >- You have no control over the extent of this virus.
> >- You have no control over future modification of this virus.
> >- You introduce another variable into problems people may have.
> >- You cannot repair viruses with it.
> >- Given that it's copying itself over and over, there are a number of
> >   opportunities for corruption.
>

>   What if it gives the user an opportunity to refuse?  Throws up an
> informational dialog and lets the user choose whether to install it?
> Provides a means by which to remove it if it causes trouble?
>
>   I think that if people were aware of such a thing it might not be so
bad,
> as long as they were given the chance to refuse infection by such an
> anti-virus virus.
>
>   I'm not necessarily posing this question seriously, but do you think
this
> might lighten some of the ethical difficulty?

Presumably we're talking about users who are not sophisticated enough to
use the current virus protection methods.  Most of your proposed
safeguards would work OK for people who know what is going on, but those
people aren't the target audience (so to speak).  How does the user know
that the anti-virus virus is the cause of any problems they are having?

I think it's a bad idea.  I think it's also unethical to be mucking around
with other peoples disks and files, even to "protect" them.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

deane@payne.ifa.hawaii.edu (Rebel Without A Clue) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov20.171542.8779@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) writes:
>In article <27013.27483646@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Here's a dilemna...
>>
>>Consider an anti-virus virus.  The Mac community has a number of excellent
>>
>>Problems?  The ethical one of course.  That is, "No program or code shall
>>modify it to destructive ends.
>

>...why are you minimizing the ethical considerations?  To affect someone or
>his or her work by deceit (or by force), REGARDLESS of the intent, is a
>violation of that person.
>
>   I'm frightened about the fact that you could continue to pose the question,
>and that you seemed to take the idea somewhat seriously.  Once you disregard
>the morality of your actions (on a rational individualism, not on an arbitrary
>religious morality), what standard do you have against which to judge your
>actions?  The benefit to others?  Have you discussed this personally with the
>several million people who would be susceptible to such a virus?  Leave the
>individual decisions to the individual.  If your lab needs protection, either
>make the equipment capable of handling it, or forgo the automatic protection,
>and prepare another procedure for dealing with the viruses you already have.
>
>Other problems?
>
>- You have no control over the extent of this virus.
>- You have no control over future modification of this virus.
>- You introduce another variable into problems people may have.
>- You cannot repair viruses with it.
>- Given that it's copying itself over and over, there are a number of
>   opportunities for corruption.
>
>Think about what you're saying...
>

>| William Lee Nussbaum, Jr.
>| wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

	I find your language to be patronizing, and your point not as
obvious as it appears you see it.  I see nothing wrong in a self-terminating
bounty-hunter program which is designed and constructed to deal with
troublemakers like viruses. I do believe that it should be written such
that it seeks out only known, specific viruses: Once you start setting
criteria for "what *looks* like a virus" then you open yourself to great
risk of accidents or  malicious redirection.
	Your other points:
-- the self-termination gives control over the chronologic veracity of this
	code. As far as spreading, the darn thing's *supposed* to spread
	out; wherever viruses go, it should be able to go
-- no one ever has control over code, written word or thought, once they're
	submitted to the public. Don't blame this idea for not doing the
	impossible.
-- This variable should significantly reduce the problems made by the other
	variables. You can't solve all problems by stepping backwards in
	complexity
-- Repairing a virus is a stupid idea. "Think about what you're saying...."
-- Look at mutation rates of current viruses, and I bet you'll find they
	are comparable with disk-copy mutations, i.e. extremely rare.

	I think your attempt to shrug off the idea is hasty and ill-thought
out.

	THIS IS NOT A FLAME for those who are succeptible to reading tones
of voice into keystrokes.  All I am saying is that William has been quick
to throw out an idea that I believe deserves honest discussion. I am NOT
NECESSARILY advocating the creation of such a beast. Think before you post.
	Jim
--
James "Rebel Without A Clue" Deane          Institute for Astronomy
deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu                2680 Woodlawn Dr

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (11/21/90)

[Lots of points and counter-points deleted]

The idea of a "bounty-hunter" to seek and destroy viri is an interesting idea
in theory, but I don't think it would work well in the real world.

Rather than get long winded, I would like to pose the following question:

Who would be responsible for the actions of a bounty-hunter?
--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (11/21/90)

In article <27013.27483646@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> Here's a dilemna... Consider an anti-virus virus... A "travelling" virus
> eradicator occurred to me (as it has probably occurred to others).

Indeed it has.  This topic has been discussed at some length in the
comp.virus newsgroup (and I'm redirecting followups to that newsgroup,
as it's really the appropriate place for discussions of this sort).

In fact, it has been tried at least once.  The originally-discovered
variant of the nVIR virus was highly destructive... it deleted
randomly-chosen files in the System folder.  One user who discovered it,
modified it to create a "phage"... which would detect the fact that
applications were infected with the destructive nVIR and would overwrite
them with a copy of itself.

The "phage" was successful... the file-destroying variant of nVIR
appears to be extinct.  The phage is still with us... it's the nVIR
you've been having so much trouble with.

> It would not require the user to "manually" check their disks.  It would
> check to see that no more than one copy of itself resides on a disk.  It
> would have an expiration date (read off the Mac clock - say, 1992) at
> which time it would erase itself.  It would be small (say, less than 10K
> if possible).  It would not attatch itself to applications or files
> (perhaps it would simply make itself invisible - a lame camouflage, but
> sufficient considering the users it is targeted to serve).

Ummm... if it doesn't infect applications or files, how will it
propagate itself?

Repairing a damaged application "on the fly" is a very difficult task.
Viruses can modify applications in quite a few different ways.
Virus-repair programs are, one and all, a maze of twisty little special
cases, all different.  The thought of embedding all of these into an
INIT makes my skin crawl.

And in 10k bytes?  I think not.  John Norstad's Disinfectant INIT is
roughtly 5k... and it's a tightly-coded assembly-language routine which
simply detects viruses and makes no attempt to repair the damage they've
done.  There's no way you'd get a solid repair facility into 10k bytes.

> Problems?  The ethical one of course.  That is, "No program or code
> shall copy itself from one medium to another without the consent,
> knowledge, and approval of the user."

Yup.  Note the fact that the phage nVIR is still causing problems for
many users.  These users have a right to be thoroughly peeved if nVIR
causes problems on their machine... they did not ask to receive this
"help".

>                               The only other problem I foresee
> is one of poor programing - incompatibility with existing systems,
> software, or machines - and incompatibility with future versions of
> systems, software and machines.

This is a much bigger problem than you perhaps realize.  Ensuring full
compatibility with all existing systems, applications, INITs, cdevs,
etc. is extremely difficult.  It's hard enough for the people who write
full-fledged antiviral INITs and applications to achieve... note how
frequently these products have been revised.  It's probably impossible
to achieve in the first version of any antiviral INIT.

Ensuring full compatibility with all _future_ hardware, system software,
applications, INITs is almost certainly impossible.

Ensuring that the anti-virus-virus could cope adequately with
as-yet-undiscovered viruses is _certainly_ impossible.

And it's probably impossible to recall a defective self-propagating
"anti-virus".  If it turned out to be significantly defective, you'd
have to release a modified version of the anti-virus, which would do
everything the original version does, as well as find and destroy the
defective version.

>                             A final thought - the possibility that
> someone with less benevolant intent would modify it to destructive ends.

Yup.   The odds are too high to risk it.  And, from the point of view of
the end-user (whether knowledgeable or ignorant), an "anti-virus virus"
which makes even a slight mistake when repairing a file, or which
interferes with a system in even a small way, is no less destructive
than a deliberately-malicious virus.

Good intentions do not excuse ill-considered actions.

Would I trust such an anti-virus virus?  Not on a bet!  I'd remove it
from my system ASAP... and I'd bet that every current freeware or
commercial anti-virus package would be revised to smoke out and vaporize
such a beast.

And I'd predict that legal action would very probably be taken against
the author of the anti-virus-virus, as soon as his/her name became
known.

Please, kids... do NOT try this at home.  Or elsewhere.  It's an idea
which would cause us all far more trouble than it would save us.

If you want to spend effort fighting viruses, do it by educating your
fellow-user... pass around copies of Disinfectant!  Try lobbying vendors
to include better virus-protection features in their products and to
write-protect the master diskettes they ship.

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (11/21/90)

In article <27013.27483646@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Here's a dilemna...
>
>Consider an anti-virus virus.

[reasons for this "virus" deleted]

Part of the problems we have with the viruses we have now is not the fact that
they actually do something malicious, but rather, they are just there taking
up memory and disk space.  There have been a number of reported problems with
all sorts of systems with viruses, not because the virus is doing anything, but
because the virus is there where the system does not expect it to be.  This
thing grows and moves to other systems where it causes the same problems.

Now, I see where John is coming from, and it can be an interesting idea.  But
putting that and all ethical questions aside, this idea is still a virus, even
if it is good natured and well-intentioned.  And it seems like it would cause
the same unintentional problems as a regular virus would, simply because it
is there.  Therefore, you're not fixing anything, but just adding another one
of the beasts to the computer world.

--
Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu

wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (11/21/90)

In article <27013.27483646@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Here's a dilemna...
>
>Consider an anti-virus virus.  The Mac community has a number of excellent
>virus detection and repair programs available commercially and in the public
>domain. Unfortunately, there are far too many people who are naive with regard
>to viruses and/or do not practice safe computing. A virus whose sole intention
>was to propagate and eradicate the more virile strains affecting the Mac

At a seminar I attended at IBM's Watson Research Center this summer, one
of the researchers there mentioned that several of the messy-dos type
viruses were just such "cures" gone awry, and that often the "cure" ended
up being more of a pain than the original afflication.

My two cents worth: Me thinks the Macintosh community as a whole would end
up cursing the creator of such a program, rather than praising him. Don't
do it.
Nick Wilde                                           wilde@boulder.colorado.edu

treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) (11/21/90)

Having an anti-virus virus ask users for permission to infect sounds like a
nifty way out of the ethical dilemma, but no.

	Your target audience is naive users. They will NOT understand the
implications of the decision. These are people who will not run disinfectant
even though we have backdrop screens asking them too.

	Those of us in the support area also do not appreciate another
complication to the question "why does X fail?" . "Well gee, "have you said yes
to any questions you didn't understand lately?"

|                   That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!                  |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|
| Microcomputer software support,     |  treeves@magnus.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU   |

lee@quincy.cs.umass.edu (Peter Lee) (11/21/90)

   From: wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
   Date: 20 Nov 90 17:15:42 GMT
   Sender: news@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (The Daily News)

> [...]

   the morality of your actions (on a rational individualism, not on an arbitrary
   religious morality), what standard do you have against which to judge your
   actions?  The benefit to others?  Have you discussed this personally with the
   several million people who would be susceptible to such a virus?  Leave the
   individual decisions to the individual.  If your lab needs protection, either
   make the equipment capable of handling it, or forgo the automatic protection,
   and prepare another procedure for dealing with the viruses you already have.

   Other problems?

   - You have no control over the extent of this virus.
   - You have no control over future modification of this virus.
   - You introduce another variable into problems people may have.
   - You cannot repair viruses with it.
   - Given that it's copying itself over and over, there are a number of

At least equally relevant, I think, is that no program can be guaranteed to be
bug-free.  Since this 'anti-virus' could spread to any imaginable mac
configuration without the user's permission, you need to guarantee that it
would not aversely affect ANY such configuration, present or future.
Developers of programs that are far less system-dependent than a virus already
break into a cold sweat any time Apple introduces a new system or machine!

In fact, it's my understanding that many of the current crop of viruses are
meant to be non-harmful, yet cause bizarre crashes on various systems soley
because of bugs.  With traditional software, manufacturers can print 'requires
mac 512K or later and System 6.0.1 or later' on the package, and users who
don't meet those requirements can upgrade, or buy another package.  If your
anti-virus conflicts with the MyCruftyHack INIT running on SI's with ROM
version 1.13a, your first indication of the conflict may come when someone
files suit...

--
|-                       Peter E. Lee, Staff Assistant                       -|
|   Software Development Lab at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst    |

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (11/22/90)

Robert Morris is doing.
david | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (11/22/90)

In article <2749@ux.acs.umn.edu>, dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu writes...
>Robert Morris is doing.
  This mailer likes eating first lines.  What I wanted to say was,

Before you unleash your 'anti-virus' virus, ask yourself what Robert Morris Jr.
is doing.

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/26/90)

In article <~W|^{Z|@rpi.edu>, Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:
> In article <9720@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
>            wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>> In article <1990Nov20.171542.8779@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>> >- You have no control over the extent of this virus.
>> >- You have no control over future modification of this virus.
>> >- You introduce another variable into problems people may have.
>> >- You cannot repair viruses with it.
>> >- Given that it's copying itself over and over, there are a number of
>> >   opportunities for corruption.
>>

>>   What if it gives the user an opportunity to refuse?  Throws up an
>> informational dialog and lets the user choose whether to install it?
>> Provides a means by which to remove it if it causes trouble?
>>
>>   I think that if people were aware of such a thing it might not be so
> bad,
>> as long as they were given the chance to refuse infection by such an
>> anti-virus virus.
>>
>>   I'm not necessarily posing this question seriously, but do you think
> this
>> might lighten some of the ethical difficulty?
>
> I think it's a bad idea.  I think it's also unethical to be mucking around
> with other peoples disks and files, even to "protect" them.
>
> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

I agree that the whole concept (even) is unethical to consider.  I do not
'rationalize' it, I merely proposed it.  Personally?  It occurs to me that this
MAY be the way of the future.  I agree, I don't like it the idea at all.
Consider however the trend:
 computer user interface --> friendlier (serving less sophisticated users)
 computer operating system --> more complex (from the programmers perspective -
                               friendlier for the user implies a degree more
                               complexity to attain this friendliness)

I would suggest that viruses will persist.  I would also suggest that viruses
of more and more sophistication (given the platform and a sort of Darwinistic
selectivity) will proliferate.  I would finally suggest that anti-viral
inncouations (so to speak) perhaps in the form of a counter-virus, may very
well be in store for the future of computers.  Call me a prophet of doom or
such, I don't advocate these practices, I merely consider.

john calhoun