[comp.sys.mac.misc] 150 Mb Tape Backup recommendations?

David_Anthony_Guevara@cup.portal.com (11/26/90)

Does anyone have any experience with the 150 Mb (DC600) tape backup
systems for the Mac?  I have two Macs with approximately 300 Mb of
disk that require backups.  Currently I'm using my 40 Mb removable
to do backups, but the cost of cartridges is a bit high (compared to
tape).  Any recommendations for a particular manufacturer?  Backup
software that will recognize/use the tape drive as a valid device?
Horror stories?  I've seen ads for Teac drives and drives made by
Mirror Technologies.  The price of the Mirror tape drive is around
$700.  Please e-mail me your responses and I will summarize to the
net if there is enough interest.  Thanks!

	Dave Guevara,
	Internet:  David_Anthony_Guevara@cup.portal.com

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (11/27/90)

David_Anthony_Guevara@cup.portal.com writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the 150 Mb (DC600) tape backup
>systems for the Mac?  I have two Macs with approximately 300 Mb of

Well I don't know how much it cost as it predates me, but we have a Tecmar
QT-80 tape backup system and I like it just fine.  Tecmar's been friendly
when I've talked to them, they even sent the latest version and manual, free.
The tapes you can write with this one are either 83 meg or 128 meg, you can
read 40 meg (Apple style AWA QT's 40 meg style).  They also have bigger
drives.  I'm pretty sure they have a 150 megger.  Their software is pretty
good (tho not perfect) but my test restores come out just fine and that's
what I want!

Their phone number:  1-800-624-8560.
In (216): 349-3130

--