[comp.sys.mac.misc] MS Word slow on MacIIsi

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (11/25/90)

A colleague has just replaced his Mac+ with a MacIIsi and noticed
some strange behavior:

  1) If he cuts a single word and then pastes it back into the document,
     and then does a 'save', the save process is noticably slower than
     it is/was on the Mac+.  The percentage window goes something like
     20-30-40-50-60-70-80-99-100 on the MacIIsi and more like 50-100
     on the +.

  2) In 'print_preview', trying to scroll -backward- through a document
     is terribly slow.  Scrolling forward is fine.

We tried adjusting application size (in the "get info" box) and that
didn't have any effect.  Haven't messed with the RAM cache yet.  Using
MS Word 4.0c.  Other than the two problems listed, the MacIIsi is much
faster than the Plus.  Any ideas?

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

n67786@assari.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (11/26/90)

Thoght I'd share what I know though it may not be much. I've been
working with MS Word 4.0 both on a Mac Plus and on an FX and measured
subjectively (haven't timed them) the FX seems to be faster, but not
even close as fast one might have thought. True FX scrolls 19" 256 color
display faster than a plus its own 9 incher, but operations like find
and preview take allmost as long as wit the plus. Maybe this is due to
MS Words design maybe due to FXs design who knows btu the speed increase
is somethig like an order of magnitude smaller than what one is like to
believe.
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (11/26/90)

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
>  1) If he cuts a single word and then pastes it back into the document,
>     and then does a 'save', the save process is noticably slower than
>     it is/was on the Mac+.  The percentage window goes something like
>     20-30-40-50-60-70-80-99-100 on the MacIIsi and more like 50-100
>     on the +.

>  2) In 'print_preview', trying to scroll -backward- through a document
>     is terribly slow.  Scrolling forward is fine.

Both of those operations are disk intensive. Rather than the problem being
with the IIsi, maybe it is the hard disk. Things to check for

1) It is optomized (defragmented) and in good shape.
2) Is it formatted for the si correctly?

One big thing to look out for: Did he use the hard drive on the plus?
Did he reformat this hard drive for the si? If not, then it has a MacPlus
interleave and not an SI interleave and that will just slow everything down.

I, too, just switched up to a IIsi from a plus and have noticed only
speed increases. (And when my FPU finally arrives...)

>Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
>Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
>University of Iowa
>Iowa City IA  52240

-Andy

--
Andy J. Williams     Snail: RFD 1 #268           Quote: This must be where pies
Consultant                  Lebanon NH, 03766           go when they die.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/26/90)

Note: MS-Word stores files as a linked lists of text fragments.  The
more you edit, the more chopped up this list gets.  The more
fragments, the slower the editing.

Often, you can greatly increase the speed of MS-Word (and decrease the
size of your file), by selecting "Save-As" and the un-checking the
"fast save" box.  This will (slowly) write out the file as a single
text stream, garbage collecting & de-fragmenting your file.

Try this and see if it helps.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (11/26/90)

In article <3294@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff
Haferman) writes:
>   1) If he cuts a single word and then pastes it back into the document,
>      and then does a 'save', the save process is noticably slower than
>      it is/was on the Mac+.  The percentage window goes something like
>      20-30-40-50-60-70-80-99-100 on the MacIIsi and more like 50-100
>      on the +.

If you want a fair compare, you should do a "Save As..." to avoid a "fast
save".  Sometimes Word uses a "fast save", sometimes it rebuilds the whole
file.  That _might_ have been the reason.

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@math.uio.no

CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu (Christopher Tate) (11/27/90)

Just a thought, but something that might be relevant was discussed recently
over in comp.sys.mac.programmer....

The new "32-bit-clean" ROM's have a serious problem with the Memory
Manager, which causes memory allocation to potentially take a very long
time indeed (one programmer reported the allocation of a single, non-
relocatable block taking 5 seconds on a IIfx!).  Since MS Word does a lot
of jiggery-pokery swapping pieces of the document into and out of memory,
it may well be that the memory allocation needed for this process is taking
a phenomenally long time, and killing your performance.

The machines which have this "32-bit-clean" ROM are the IIfx, the IIci, and
the IIsi (as far as I know).  Apple is currently working on a fix for the
problem, which will essentially require a complete rewrite of the Memory
Manager code.

Disclaimer:  I'm just summarizing info that I picked up by reading comp.sys.
mac.programmer; if I get anything wrong, it's because I'm not with Apple. :)

-------
Christopher Tate          |  Alterwise by owl-light in the half-way house
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu      |
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet       |                          -- Dylan Thomas

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (11/27/90)

In article <3294@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
   A colleague has just replaced his Mac+ with a MacIIsi and noticed
   some strange behavior:
     1) If he cuts a single word and then pastes it back into the document,
	and then does a 'save', the save process is noticably slower than
	it is/was on the Mac+.  The percentage window goes something like
	20-30-40-50-60-70-80-99-100 on the MacIIsi and more like 50-100
	on the +.

This problem is probably because the command "Fast Save Enabled" was
disabled.  If you enable it, you get results like the Plus got.

     2) In 'print_preview', trying to scroll -backward- through a document
	is terribly slow.  Scrolling forward is fine.

This is probably because of fragmented file due to Fast Save.  If you
either "Save As" save the file, or use "Keep File in Memory" (in the
Preferences menu) it will scroll faster.
--
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "Licensed