[comp.sys.mac.misc] I want to lock in the name on the "Responder"

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.012222.18153@cs.umn.edu>, aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:

> I'd like to lock in the Mac names, the one you see when you open the "Chooser"
> where it says "User Name".  We need to keep the Mac at one name instead of
> everyone who uses it changing it.
>
> I'm comfortable with ResEdit, I'd guess that is where the answer lies, but
> although I've poked around I haven't seen anyplace to make a modification.`
> I'd prefer a method that doesn't touch "AppleShare Prep".

Try adding STR resource ID = -16096 containing the name you want for that
machine to the Responder file itself.  This will allow people to change the
name in the chooser without affecting the name Responder sees.

The STR ID = -16096 in Responder should overrule the one in the system
files.  It should work, but I haven't tried it.

-- michael peirce

P.S.  The Chooser name is stored in STR ID = -16096 in the system
file, if you didn't already know.

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (11/28/90)

I'm the one who wanted to lock in the name on the chooser, and it's time
to summarize!

ChooserUser will do it (I now have a copy, thanks to everyone who offered to
send it to me!)
And the trick mentioned about putting my own string in STR ID = -16096
was mentioned a few times.

Thanks to all who replied!
--
Brian Aslakson