[comp.sys.mac.misc] system 6.0.7. crashes

arild@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Arild Hestvik) (11/25/90)

I just installed system 6.0.7. I occasionally get crashes, with the
message

  Sorry, a system error just occurred
    corprocessor not installed

/with the usual bomb and restart

Now I never had a coprocessor and the things I do dont require
one. Cananyone help me with this  --please!!

espen@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Espen H. Koht) (11/26/90)

In article <ARILD.90Nov25134314@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de> arild@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Arild Hestvik) writes:
>I just installed system 6.0.7. I occasionally get crashes, with the
>message
>
>  Sorry, a system error just occurred
>    corprocessor not installed
>
>/with the usual bomb and restart
>
>Now I never had a coprocessor and the things I do dont require
>one. Cananyone help me with this  --please!!

   If you are using a IIsi, it sounds like this problem relates to
the fact that the IIsi is the first Mac which has a 68030 processor
without having a coprocessor.  Some software manufacturers, despite
warnings from Apple, used to make programs that assumed that if you had
a 68030 in your Mac, there would also be a coprocessor present, and
therefore never even bother to check if it was the case.  That was fine
of course until the IIsi came along.  The most notable examples of
programs which did this are probably Microsoft's Excel and Adobe's
Photoshop.  The latest updates to both these programs have now be fixed
so they will run properly on the IIsi.  These updates should be free if
you have registered copies of the software.
  If this is happening while you are running some other application,
and only when you run that application, it is probably the same problem
as with Excel and Photoshop.  Contact the software manufacturers and
ask them if they have an update.
  If you are using system 6.0.7 on an old computer (which you shouldn't)
this error message is probably caused by something which has nothing to
do with a coprocessor.   However, since with 6.0.7 has 'small helpful
messages' for the different errors, you will get messages for unknown
errors which doesn't necessarily make sense on a plus, SE or old mac II
or whatever you are using.   Try to track down the system error like you
would do normally (blame the INITs) and just ignore the message about
the coprocessor.  Also if you have a mac which is not a IIsi, Classic
or LC, the recommended system is 6.0.5.
  Good luck.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/26/90)

In article <25971@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> espen@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Espen H. Koht) writes:

>  If you are using system 6.0.7 on an old computer (which you shouldn't)
>               ...Also if you have a mac which is not a IIsi, Classic
>or LC, the recommended system is 6.0.5.

My copy of the System Software 6.0.7 Final Change History is 18 pages long.
Admittedly, most of the changes are minor.  There are a few, though (such as
a couple of Quickdraw bugs) that might be useful even to non IIsi/LC/Classic
folks.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (11/26/90)

arild@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Arild Hestvik) writes:

>I just installed system 6.0.7. I occasionally get crashes, with the
>message
>  Sorry, a system error just occurred
>    corprocessor not installed

> with the usual bomb and restart

>Now I never had a coprocessor and the things I do dont require
>one. Cananyone help me with this  --please!!

If you don't have an LC, IIsi, or a Classic then there is no reason that
you should be using 6.0.7. 6.0.5 is the highest you should be running on
the older machines (older = pre Oct 15 1990).

If you do have one of the new machines, then I am at a loss...

-Andy

--
Andy J. Williams     Snail: RFD 1 #268           Quote: This must be where pies
Consultant                  Lebanon NH, 03766           go when they die.

nick@cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/27/90)

In article <25971@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, espen@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Espen H. Koht) writes:
> In article <ARILD.90Nov25134314@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de> arild@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Arild Hestvik) writes:
> >I just installed system 6.0.7. I occasionally get crashes, with the
> >message
> >
> >  Sorry, a system error just occurred
> >    corprocessor not installed
>
>    If you are using a IIsi, it sounds like this problem relates to
> the fact that the IIsi is the first Mac which has a 68030 processor
> without having a coprocessor.  Some software manufacturers, despite
> warnings from Apple, used to make programs that assumed that if you had
> a 68030 in your Mac, there would also be a coprocessor present,

*ahem*, I've had this bomb a few times on my SE/30, including from apps
like ResEdit and (I believe) the Finder...

I have a feeling it's sometimes kicked off from low memory conditions...

>  If you are using system 6.0.7 on an old computer (which you shouldn't)
>this error message is probably caused by something which has nothing to
>do with a coprocessor.

Why shouldn't I use the latest System software on my "old" SE/30?

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/27/90)

From article <ARILD.90Nov25134314@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de>, by arild@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Arild Hestvik):
| I just installed system 6.0.7. I occasionally get crashes, with the
| message
|
|   Sorry, a system error just occurred
|     corprocessor not installed
|
| /with the usual bomb and restart

This might be fixable for some of those programs if you get the
PseudoFPU init, which tries to fool programs into thinking there's
a coprocessor installed when there isn't.

ftp indri.primate.wisc.edu, in ~ftp/pub/mac/....
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

       "If you're not a docter, you're just pants" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2

brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) (11/27/90)

In article <25975@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>If you don't have an LC, IIsi, or a Classic then there is no reason that
>you should be using 6.0.7. 6.0.5 is the highest you should be running on
>the older machines (older = pre Oct 15 1990).

I have 6.0.7 running on a IIx to take advantage of the new sound manager, and
it works fine.

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/27/90)

In article <1712@gold.gvg.tek.com> brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) writes:
>In article <25975@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:

[  Stuff deleted  ]

>> 6.0.5 is the highest you should be running on
>>the older machines (older = pre Oct 15 1990).
>>

>I have 6.0.7 running on a IIx to take advantage of the new sound manager, and
>it works fine.

  Yes, not only does it work fine, it works better, in all likelihood.

  This is really annoying, and it comes up every time a new system is
released.  What the folks at Apple MEAN when they say "this release is only
needed on machine X" they mean that you don't have to upgrade if you don't
want to.

  HOWEVER, as a cusory glance at the change history of ANY recent system
release will tell you, new version of the system FIX BUGS ON ALL MACS.
Unless the new version of the system breaks a particular application you
like to use, UPGRADING WILL SAVE YOU TROUBLE, ADD FEATURES, AND FIX
ANOMALOUS AND IN SOME CASES DATA-DESTROYING BUGS!

  It is true that Apple's marketing people don't always make that clear and
usually, in fact, obscure the issue.  However, no technical employee at
Apple has ever said, in my presence, "don't upgrade" except when application
incompatibilities hinder your work.  Even in those cases, fixes to apps are
often free, even though you may have to lie and say you just bought a IIsi to
get them off your backs about using the new system.

  So, folks, ignore the nay-sayers and upgrade! Have the old system around
just in case, but upgrade!  It's worth the effort.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

cantie@acsu.buffalo.edu (bruce n cantie) (11/27/90)

writes:
>In article <25975@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Wil
lia pre Oct 15 1990).

>I have 6.0.7 running on a IIx to take advantage of the new sound manager, and
>it works fine.

	I installed 6.0.7 about 3 days after it was released, on a Mac II (with
a dove 030 board) and found it slower than 6.0.5 and I hade a few more crashes.
But I wanted some of the new stuff from 6.0.7 (like sound, new LaserWriter ).
So this is how the system ended up:

	system :    6.0.5
	finder :    6.0.7
	MF:         6.1b9
	all others: 6.0.7

Since then I have not crashed once!  How is that for a mutt system? I even
run a tun of init's and cdev's.

Bruce Cantie          Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU | I speak only for me,
LAN Systems           BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVM.BITNET   | U.B. has nothing to
301A Computing Center BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET  | do with it.

sharp@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (11/27/90)

    I for one disagree about 6.0.7 being a good thing to install on
all machines. I have a ci, and after installing 0.7 I had *lots* of
crashes. Yes I have INITs installed, but they work fine with 0.5 and
not with 0.7.

    I have also seen another ci frequently die under 0.7 and not with
0.5. The choice is obvious for me.

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

lex@philica.ica.philips.nl (Lex van Sonderen) (11/28/90)

With regard to the coprocessor problems of the si and the
upcoming LC, I found an INIT called '68881 Emulator'.

This was part of the Jonathan CAD demo disk to make sure
68000-Macs could run Jonathan (which assumes you have a
coprocessor).

I am wondering if this INIT could solve a lot of problems,
but...
- It is copyrighted (on a free distribution demo disk);
- I cannot test it without a Mac si.

Could people who know of the status of Jonathan CAD contact
me?
Couls someone send me a Mac II si and/or LC, so I can test it?
Does a similar thing exist in the public domain?

Lex van Sonderen
lex@ica.philips.nl

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (11/28/90)

Lovested) writes:
> I have 6.0.7 running on a IIx to take advantage of the new sound
manager, and
> it works fine.

Me, too. It works better than 6.0.5 - my Mac hardly ever bombs now.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

In article <1990Nov27.054952.17215@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> sharp@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:

>    I for one disagree about 6.0.7 being a good thing to install on
>all machines. I have a ci, and after installing 0.7 I had *lots* of
>crashes. Yes I have INITs installed, but they work fine with 0.5 and
>not with 0.7.
>
>    I have also seen another ci frequently die under 0.7 and not with
>0.5. The choice is obvious for me.

I have a Mac II under 6.0.7 and it doesn't crash any more often than under
6.0.5, with the exception of some programs which use sound.  This is
acceptable because I want to use the new sound compression routines (was
never able to get MACE to work...)

arild@adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de (Arild Hestvik) (11/29/90)

In article <25971@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> espen@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Espen H. Koht) writes:

    [..stuff deleted..]
     If you are using system 6.0.7 on an old computer (which you shouldn't)
   this error message is probably caused by something which has nothing to
   do with a coprocessor.   However, since with 6.0.7 has 'small helpful
   messages' for the different errors, you will get messages for unknown
   errors which doesn't necessarily make sense on a plus, SE or old mac II
   or whatever you are using.   Try to track down the system error like you
   would do normally (blame the INITs) and just ignore the message about
   the coprocessor.  Also if you have a mac which is not a IIsi, Classic
   or LC, the recommended system is 6.0.5.

-My MAC is a IIcx. Is it not recommended to run 6.0.7 on this machine?

Arild