[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Classic 4 meg limit

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (11/30/90)

This is not a flame, merely a question.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
> >[lots of stuff deleted]
> >* The Mac Classic has 1 Meg soldered to the board, expandable to 4 Meg, and
> >can't use 4 Meg SIMMS.  The LC comes with 2 Meg soldered to the board,
> >expandable to 10 Meg.  To IIsi has no memory soldered on board, and is
> >expandable to 17 Meg.  Then there are all the different configurations
> >and new SIMM sizes....
> Like all Mac Plus based machines (including the SE), the Classic is limited
> to 4MB total RAM.  If you put 2 4MB SIMMs in, you'd get 8MB, thus wasting
> 4MB.  Why should Apple support such a stupid memory configuration?

I guess the only thing I don't understand is why any of the Mac Plus
class machines are still limited to 4MB of total RAM.  I had thought
the original reason for the Plus to be so limited had to do with where
the ROM was mapped to, but surely if you are going to redesign the
whole system, and 4 megs doesn't get you as far as it used to, then
this could have been changed.  Or was this a hairy compatability issue?

And just for the record, if I had the money to buy a Mac soon, I'd
probably go for an SE/30 over a Mac IIsi.  With university pricing, I
can get an SE/30 with a 40 meg disk for $2020.  Eight megs of RAM will
cost me about $350, bringing it up to $2370, for which I'm getting a
reasonably fast Mac that can take full advantage of system 7.0 or run
A/UX (so I'll need a bigger disk), an FPU to make doing stats
feasible, color quickdraw, a hard disk, lots of memory, and a fast PDS
slot that I can use for a second larger/color monitor whenever I feel
like it.  And it's even luggable.  And, if I keep my fingers crossed
and everybody else buys the new Macs instead of the SE/30, the price
may even go down.  But if I had twice as much money, I'd probably
buy a Nextstation with a laser printer.  But since I only have about $300,
this is all pretty moot...

jking