[comp.sys.mac.misc] ** How about writing a nice utility pgm? **

austin@skorpio.USask.CA (Alvin Austin) (11/27/90)

Here's an idea for a nice little utility program for the Mac
which I haven't seen done yet.

I'd like a *small* utility program in pascal or c.  It would
have the creator type set to the same as say WriteNow or MacWrite,
so that if I double-clicked on a document created by the said
word processor, this utility pgm would be launched.

The pgm would do nothing except to launch the word processing
application I *do* use, say Microsoft Word, passing the information
about the file I double clicked on to MS Word.

This way, you might have a couple of copies of this utility somewhere
on your hard disk, one with the creator type set to WriteNow,
another copy's creator type set to MacWrite, etc.  Double-clicking
on text files in either form would start MS-Word with that file
open.

-----------------

Alternatively, an INIT which maps the creator types of documents
that you double-click on to what you want.  ie: double click on
document with creator type MACA (MacWrite) and Microsoft Word is
launched (creator type MSWD).

-----------------

Anybody with some code to accomplish such a thing?

Please email, and I will summarize the responses received, if
there is some interest in this type of thing.

Thanks,

Alvin
Alvin Austin                                Email: austin@skorpio.USask.Ca
Department of Computational Science
(Mail) Room 1C101 Engineering Building     Office: Room 145.1 Arts Building
University of Saskatchewan              Telephone: (306) 966-4895
Saskatoon, Sask. CANADA  S7N 0W0              FAX: (306) 966-8709

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.191448.3319@herald.usask.ca> austin@skorpio.USask.CA (Alvin Austin) writes:
>Here's an idea for a nice little utility program for the Mac
>which I haven't seen done yet.
>
>I'd like a *small* utility program in pascal or c.  It would
>have the creator type set to the same as say WriteNow or MacWrite,
>so that if I double-clicked on a document created by the said
>word processor, this utility pgm would be launched.
>
>The pgm would do nothing except to launch the word processing
>application I *do* use, say Microsoft Word, passing the information
>about the file I double clicked on to MS Word.

	This already exists as a commercial product - HandOff II.

	Unfortunately, it's fallen prey to the the "kitchen sink"
syndrome and now does a number of other things besides just re-map
creator types.  <sigh>

	I know that there also exist other commercial products which
can do what you request, and I even think that some of the shareware
program-launch utilities can do this.  But, I'm not certain.  HandOff
II is the only product that I am -certain- does what you request.

	Who makes it?  Not sure... 5th Generation?

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.191448.3319@herald.usask.ca> austin@skorpio.USask.CA (Alvin Austin) writes:
   I'd like a *small* utility program in pascal or c.  It would
   have the creator type set to the same as say WriteNow or MacWrite,
   so that if I double-clicked on a document created by the said
   word processor, this utility pgm would be launched.

   Alternatively, an INIT which maps the creator types of documents
   that you double-click on to what you want.  ie: double click on
   document with creator type MACA (MacWrite) and Microsoft Word is
   launched (creator type MSWD).

Well, for the first you could try a little program called
MacWrite->MacWriteII which I edited to run MS Word instead.  There are
also versions for other word processors, and it does exactly what you
want.  I've seen a few different versions, but if you can't find it
let me know and I'll bin-hex and e-mail docs & the package (if I can
find it on my disks!)

As far as the second goes, there are three items that I can think of
offhand which do it.  The first is called HandOff II (the
top-of-the-line) which does this, as well as program-launching in
general (as with OnCue).  One great feature of HOII is that it will
automatically launch a file with the application (simulating your
double-clicking a document each time you open the application.)
Another alternative is HandOff 1.2 or something, which does the
cross-launching and I don't really know what else.

A shareware alternative (which I have not used but looked at some time
ago) is called CrossLaunch, and is available from Sumex-aim via
anonymous FTP.  Can't tell you much about it, though.  It is billed as
suiting your purpose, though.  Personally, I use QKII to open the
program I want to use and then use the open menu to get back to the
file.  Not as easy, but no additional cost, either.
--
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "Licensed

smelly@polari.UUCP (Tom Benedict) (11/29/90)

System 7.0 has a feature for aliasing files and applications, which
will do you want. Until then a commercial program called Hand Off, available
for all mail order firms, runs an INIT which patches the finder so any
application can launche(i mean open) any other applications documents.

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov27.133930.28953@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>In article <1990Nov26.191448.3319@herald.usask.ca> austin@skorpio.USask.CA (Alvin Austin) writes:
>>Here's an idea for a nice little utility program for the Mac
>>which I haven't seen done yet.
>>

>	This already exists as a commercial product - HandOff II.
>

>	Who makes it?  Not sure... 5th Generation?

Nice init use it all the time.

Maker - Software Innovations
	PO Box 811
	Allen Texas 75002