[comp.sys.mac.misc] Multi-Format Graphics/Curator Program Recommendations?

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (siegman) (12/03/90)

I'm in the classic bind of wanting to view, file, edit, and
format-convert Mac graphics among the common Mac formats: MacPaint,
PICT, Postscript, EPS, EPSF, TIFF, GIFF, etc. (though mostly the first
5), without getting too deep into this.  Can anyone recommend a good,
not too expensive program for doing this?

My personal requirements:
   --really only B&W, not color
   --don't need to bring over any IBM/PC formats
   --not doing heavy art work or generating much artwork
     myself, just handling the occasional technical
     illustration; mainly need to keep these on file, do
     light editing and scaling, and paste into TeX or Word
     documents
   --would particularly like to be able to open and edit or
     convert Postscript EPS and EPSF files, since many
     useful programs such as Mathematica, Igor
     and other useful programs generate EPSF output.
   --Would like to do this in ONE not too complex program

Suggestions?                --AES   siegman@sierra.stanford.edu

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (12/04/90)

In article <16@sierra.STANFORD.EDU>, siegman@sierra (siegman) writes:
>I'm in the classic bind of wanting to view, file, edit, and
>format-convert Mac graphics among the common Mac formats: MacPaint,
>PICT, Postscript, EPS, EPSF, TIFF, GIFF, etc. (though mostly the first
>5), without getting too deep into this.  Can anyone recommend a good,
>not too expensive program for doing this?

You might give Gifconverter a try.  It'll open and convert between any
of the above formats, do some scaling and dithering of color images,
and is generally easy to use.

Best of all, it's shareware.  It's available in all the usual places,
and well worth checking out.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."