[comp.sys.mac.misc] HC 2.0 vs. ATM 1.2

mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) (12/03/90)

I have't seen any other complaints about this, so maybe I'm just doing
something stupid... please enlighten me. Hypercard 2.0 somehow seems to
override ATM: it complains it can't find fonts in certain sizes, and uses
ugly bitmap enlargments. This really screws up spacing in some of the
examples. I could install the font sizes it needs, but I don't want to bloat
up my system - that's one of the reasons I bought ATM...

		Mike Blackwell		mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (12/04/90)

In article <11263@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell)
writes:
> Hypercard 2.0 somehow seems to
> override ATM: it complains it can't find fonts in certain sizes, and uses
> ugly bitmap enlargments.

Consider this rumor, I haven't verified it - but I hear that ATM 2.0 fixes
that problem.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (12/04/90)

In article <11415@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
|In article <11263@pt.cs.cmu.edu> mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell)
|writes:
|> Hypercard 2.0 somehow seems to
|> override ATM: it complains it can't find fonts in certain sizes, and uses
|> ugly bitmap enlargments.
|
|Consider this rumor, I haven't verified it - but I hear that ATM 2.0 fixes
|that problem.

System 6.0.7 [happened under 6.0.5, too]; HyperCard 2.0, ATM 2.0.

I have only 10- and 12-point sizes of most LaserWriter fonts actually installed
as bitmaps.  Until I changed the startup script, every time I opened the Home
stack I would be informed that I didn't have Palatino 14, 24 installed.  The
fonts on screen were rendered well by ATM, however.

BTW, to stop Hypercard 2.0's font complaints, find the following line in the
"on startup" script [in script of the Home stack] and comment it out.

     checkForMissingFonts -- inform user of missing fonts

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone