[comp.sys.mac.misc] Australian Prices

jtc@latcs1.oz.au (John Catsoulis) (12/03/90)

rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
>>Is Apple greedy? YOU BET THEY ARE.
>
>Either that, or your government is being greedy and charging high import
>duty taxes.  From what I know about how Apple works and how Australia
>works, I'd say it's more likely that it's the Australian government
>that is making the money.  Either that or the US gov't making money on
>export duties.  Maybe both.  Maybe all three.
>
>Ray Fischer

I can't comment on the US govt, but yeah we do have high taxes on computers
(high sales tax on Aus-made systems too). However, it appears that Apple
Australia is also taking a large piece of the action over and above what
Apple US do. My reasons for saying this are twofold. The prices are excessive
even when you do take into account government charges. Also it is still cheaper
to buy a system in the US, pay to have it imported, pay the duties and shipping
insurance, etc, than it is to buy one here. Sad but true. And from talking to
people in other parts of the world, it appears that Australia is not alone in
this.

I don't mean to critise Apple Australia. I have always been impressed by the
professionalism and efficiency with my dealings with them. It is just that
I think the prices could be reviewed.

A side note: A dealer told me that it is the prices that Apple US
charges Apple Aus for systems that causes such high prices here. I don't
know how true this is, but it is interesting.

John.
The above is only my opinion.

pfr654@csc.anu.oz.au (12/05/90)

Firstly, I think that this is in the wrong newsgroup - why not aus.mac?

In article <6394@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>, rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:
> rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
>
>>In article <6376@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:
>>>Is Apple greedy? YOU BET THEY ARE.
>
>>Either that, or your government is being greedy and charging high import
>>duty taxes.  From what I know about how Apple works and how Australia
>
> To my knowledge, the Australian government puts on 20% sales tax and with
> an exchange rate of roughly $US 0.80c = $AUS 1.00, there's no way in hell
> that that explains our prices.
>
> An example: Mac LC, 512K Dram card, 13" monitor = $AUS 4972 (consortium)

CRAP!
              Mac LC 2 Meg RAM, 40 Meg HD, colour monitor= $A5000 - retail

> Subtract 20% sales tax and allow for exchange rate above = $US 3,182.
>
> How does that compare to YOUR consortium prices?

You can get a Mac LC, 2 meg RAM, 40 Meg HD, 12 inch colour monitor from the
ANU consortium for $A3700, or after removing 20% sales tax and multiplying
by the exchange rate of $US0.76=$A1, you get $US2343 (and our consortium is
NOT australia's cheapest).  I think that this is
OK compared to US prices, and doesn't take account of the shipping costs.

HOWEVER - the macs sold in Australia are made in Singapore VERY CHEAPLY.
*====*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Phil Ryan
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics
Canberra, Australia
pfr654@csc.anu.oz.au   phone:(61 6) 249 4678   fax:(61 6) 249 0741

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (12/05/90)

pfr654@csc.anu.oz.au writes:

>Firstly, I think that this is in the wrong newsgroup - why not aus.mac?

Because I was responding to an article in comp.sys.mac.misc, thank you very
much.

[ some stuff deleted]

>> An example: Mac LC, 512K Dram card, 13" monitor = $AUS 4972 (consortium)

>CRAP!
>              Mac LC 2 Meg RAM, 40 Meg HD, colour monitor= $A5000 - retail

>You can get a Mac LC, 2 meg RAM, 40 Meg HD, 12 inch colour monitor from the
>ANU consortium for $A3700,

Can you really? My example was a Mac LC, 2 meg RAM, 40 Meg HD, and

    *  13" colour hi-res monitor with 512K Dram card  *

    NOT just the 12" monitor.  How much does that boost your $3700 price?

--
+ John Mazzocchi              +   "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, +
+ Melbourne, Victoria         +    but a fire to be lighted" - Plutarch   +