[comp.sys.mac.misc] SuitCase II with partitioned HD ?

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) (12/05/90)

  I have 2 HD's. On each HD, I placed system folder, one for US OS and
one for Japanese OS. By switching a startup device by Control Panel, I
can select a Macintosh enviroment.

  In this case, I used SuitCaseII. I placed font and DA folder in the
internal HD and both system's SuitCase refer this folder. So I got
same font and DA on each OS environment.

 BUT, recently, I have re-formatted HD's with 3 partitions by MicorNet
formatter (my HD's are MicroNet one).

  Then, SuitCase II on the external HD doens't load any font/DA at
startup. Still I can load any font/DA after booting. But once reboot,
SuitCase forget them at all.
  Of course, SuitCase on the internal HD still loads everything. At
now, font/DA folders are placed in the same partition with system
folder of internal HD.

  my configuration is:

	SE/30
	100MB internal HD	MicroNet (conner) SCSI #0
	100MB external HD	MicroNet (conner) SCSI #1
		formatter version 4.0M

  Why can  SuitCase load stuffs from another HD which has one
partition, but not from another HD which is partitioned ?
Is it MicroNet formatter's problem? or the specification of Mac OS?

Masato Ogawa					Sony corp.

ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp				Tokyo, Japan

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (12/05/90)

In article <OGAWA.90Dec5143625@actor.sm.sony.co.jp> ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:
>  Then, SuitCase II on the external HD doens't load any font/DA at
>startup. Still I can load any font/DA after booting. But once reboot,
>SuitCase forget them at all.
>  Of course, SuitCase on the internal HD still loads everything. At
>now, font/DA folders are placed in the same partition with system
>folder of internal HD.
>  Why can  SuitCase load stuffs from another HD which has one
>partition, but not from another HD which is partitioned ?

  The problem is that when Suitcase is loaded at startup time, your other
volumes haven't been mounted yet, and Suitcase can't find them.  You need
the ForceMount INIIT, which is available from sumex-aim.  If you run ForceMount
before Suitcase, Suitcase will be able to find your font and DA suitcases
on other volumes.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

In article <1990Dec5.064339.22907@engin.umich.edu> mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) writes:
 > In article <OGAWA.90Dec5143625@actor.sm.sony.co.jp> ogawa@sm.sony.co.jp (Masato Ogawa) writes:
 > >  Then, SuitCase II on the external HD doens't load any font/DA at
 > >startup. Still I can load any font/DA after booting. But once reboot,
 > >SuitCase forget them at all.
 > >  		:
 >
 >   The problem is that when Suitcase is loaded at startup time, your other
 > volumes haven't been mounted yet, and Suitcase can't find them.  You need

MANY THANKS!!

  I'll get ForceMount soon.
  But, why could I use SuitCase with single-partitioned HD's? I could
startup from SCSI #1 which refers folders on SCSI #0 when all HD's
had only one partition...