[comp.sys.mac.misc] NFS for Macs?

gee@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Thomas Gee) (12/05/90)

Is there an application that, given a Mac with an ethernet card installed,
allows the Mac to "mount" NFS directories and files?  TOPS does allow sharing
of files and directories between Macs, but I would like to allow sharing
between Macs and larger UNIX systems (the larger machines tend to have greater
online storage).

Thanks,
	Tom.
Thomas Gee       |
Aerospace Group  | a man in search of a quote
DCIEM, DND       |
Canada           | gee@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

cramer@iex.iex.com (Bill Cramer) (12/06/90)

In article <3802@client2.DRETOR.UUCP> gee@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Thomas Gee)
writes:
>Is there an application that, given a Mac with an ethernet card installed,
>allows the Mac to "mount" NFS directories and files?  TOPS does allow sharing
>of files and directories between Macs, but I would like to allow sharing
>between Macs and larger UNIX systems (the larger machines tend to have greater
>online storage).

I've been using the Wollongong product (it just came out in October) and in
general I like it.  I've also used the NFS translation on the Gatorbox
LocalTalk/Ethernet gateway and it seems to work as well (only slower, since
it's running through LocalTalk before getting to the Ethernet).  One advantage
the Gatorbox version has is that you can configure it such that on TEXT files
it performs the CR/LF conversion for you; the Wollongong version doesn't
(although it does come with a *weenie* little text editor that understands how
to convert between the two on the fly).

Bill Cramer
cramer@iex.iex.com