[comp.sys.mac.misc] ][ emulation

avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Abel Vargas) (12/02/90)

Does Apple intend to release ][ emulation cards for all Macs? And where do the
][e, ][c, and ][c+ fit now that there is a Mac that can run ][ software?

INET: avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com
UUCP: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!avarg
ARPA: crash!pnet01!gnh-applesauce!avarg@nosc.mil

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (12/04/90)

In article <6025@crash.cts.com> avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Abel Vargas) writes:
>Does Apple intend to release ][ emulation cards for all Macs? And where do the
>][e, ][c, and ][c+ fit now that there is a Mac that can run ][ software?

Maybe third parties, but not Apple... the LC is designed with the II
emulation in mind.

As for the IIe, IIc, and IIc+, i had thought they were all discontinued
a little while ago... but i might easily be wrong.

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (12/04/90)

In article <6025@crash.cts.com> avarg@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Abel Vargas) writes:
>Does Apple intend to release ][ emulation cards for all Macs? And where do the
>][e, ][c, and ][c+ fit now that there is a Mac that can run ][ software?

	Back in October, when I was at the local (Columbus) version of
the product rollout for the Classic, LC, and IIsi, I asked one of the
Apple Reps the selfsame question - namely, are there plans to market a
NuBus version of the Apple Card that is being made for the LC?

	They replied, quite prudently, "We are not in a position to
comment on unreleased products at this time."  <sigh>

	Where does the LC's Apple Card leave the IIe/c/c+?  Out in the
cold, where they should've been a number of years ago.  This doesn't
mean that development for them will stop, since Apple programs will
still be used on the IIgs and the Apple Card, but I doubt we'll see
those particular CPUs for much longer...

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec3.210235.12909@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>	Where does the LC's Apple Card leave the IIe/c/c+?  Out in the
>cold, where they should've been a number of years ago.

  On the other hand, how much does a Mac LC with the Apple card cost?
The Apple //c is going around $450 here at holiday sales.

	Anton

| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |