[comp.sys.mac.misc] Silverlining Password break

mkellner@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Legendary Boffo) (11/30/90)

I was working with a friend's Silver Lining partitioning software the
other day, and found a nifty trick to get around password protected
partitions...

When it asks for the password, all I did was hit the interrupt key which
kicked me into MacsBug (make sure MacsBug is installed) and then did
and "es" - exit to shell, which put me into the Finder.

No need for a password.

What a ripoff.  Password "protection"... Yeah, right.

m.

--
-- Registered, card carrying Macintosh fanatic.
-- mkellner@polyslo.calpoly.edu

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (12/04/90)

In article <2755e536.528a@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mkellner@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Legendary Boffo) writes:
>I was working with a friend's Silver Lining partitioning software the
>other day, and found a nifty trick to get around password protected
>partitions...
>
>When it asks for the password, all I did was hit the interrupt key which
>kicked me into MacsBug (make sure MacsBug is installed) and then did
>and "es" - exit to shell, which put me into the Finder.

I am curious about this. You are saying that you could get around the password
prompt for the partition that was trying to mount but you did not explicitly
indicate that the "protected" partition succeeded in mounting. Did it?

If you just hit RETURN or ENTER with no password, it will also continue on to
the finder, you just don't get the partition mounted (or unlocked or changed or
whatever it was set up for).

Did you actually succeed in performing the protected action (eg. mounting or
changing the lock status of a partition) or just getting past the password
dialog box?

Also, do you recall what version of Silverlining was being used?

(Inquiring minds want to know! :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (12/06/90)

In article <4732@tellab5.tellabs.com> wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) writes:
>In article <2755e536.528a@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> mkellner@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Legendary Boffo) writes:
>>I was working with a friend's Silver Lining partitioning software the
>>other day, and found a nifty trick to get around password protected
>>partitions...
>>
>>When it asks for the password, all I did was hit the interrupt key which
>>kicked me into MacsBug (make sure MacsBug is installed) and then did
>>and "es" - exit to shell, which put me into the Finder.
>
>I am curious about this. You are saying that you could get around the password
>prompt for the partition that was trying to mount but you did not explicitly
>indicate that the "protected" partition succeeded in mounting. Did it?
>
>If you just hit RETURN or ENTER with no password, it will also continue on to
>the finder, you just don't get the partition mounted (or unlocked or changed or
>whatever it was set up for).
>
>Did you actually succeed in performing the protected action (eg. mounting or
>changing the lock status of a partition) or just getting past the password
>dialog box?

I too broke into Silver Lining this way.  Although I found that after ES
and returning to the Finder, I had to use a cdev like SCSI Tool or SCSI
Probe to mount the "locked" volume.

David