[comp.sys.mac.misc] Thanx!

bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) (12/06/90)

Wow. Thanx for all the replies to my 24-bit color question!

Another question:

OK, if 32-bit graphics are every bit as good as 24-bit graphics, why would
anyone want to add a 24-bit color card to their IIsi? In an article in
Macworld, they made a point that if you wanted 24-bit color in a IIsi, you
would have to use the single slot for the 24-bit card!

+----------"Maturity is overrated" - Garfield-------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (12/06/90)

In article <6120@crash.cts.com> bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) writes:

>OK, if 32-bit graphics are every bit as good as 24-bit graphics, why would
>anyone want to add a 24-bit color card to their IIsi? In an article in
>Macworld, they made a point that if you wanted 24-bit color in a IIsi, you
>would have to use the single slot for the 24-bit card!

Oops.  I think you've been misinformed somewhere down the line.  The IIsi
ships with *8-bit* color, not 32-bit color.  Therefore, it can only display
256 colors on a 13" monitor, as opposed to the 307,200 colors possible
with a 24-bit card.  Therefore, a 24-bit color card is still a very
reasonable option for a IIsi owner.

>| ProLine: bill@pro-gateway
>|Internet: bill@pro-gateway.cts.com
>|    UUCP: crash!pro-gateway!bill
>|    ARPA: crash!pro-gateway!bill@nosc.mil
>|  BITNET: bill%pro-gateway.cts.com@nosc.mil
>+----------"Maturity is overrated" - Garfield-------->Pro-Gateway 214/644-5113

| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS)                                |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |

In article <6120@crash.cts.com> bill@pro-gateway.cts.com (Bill Long, SysOp) writes:
>Wow. Thanx for all the replies to my 24-bit color question!
>
>Another question:
>
>OK, if 32-bit graphics are every bit as good as 24-bit graphics, why would
>anyone want to add a 24-bit color card to their IIsi? In an article in
>Macworld, they made a point that if you wanted 24-bit color in a IIsi, you
>would have to use the single slot for the 24-bit card!

Because the IIsi only has 8 bit graphics.  I agree, though, that if you want
24-bit graphics NOW, you should get a IIci instead-- because if you want
24-bit graphics NOW, you will wante 24-bit ACCELERATED graphics soon, and the
si doesn't have the power budget for that.