[comp.sys.mac.misc] What's going to happen to the IIcx

gsm@mitre.org (Gio Marzot) (12/01/90)

About a year ago I heard the IIcx touted as *the* machine for
expandability and, something like, (alot of) Apple's future efforts would
be directed around this design/form factor etc. Ok, the IIci is the same
form factor but what gives? Has anybody heard what sort of upgrade paths
are available for this machine? What about the ROM issues? From what I
understand many people bought this model.  I realize its a fairly new
product but if there are any rumors or facts around I'd be interested. Any
body out there with big ears and loose lips?

Responsibility for the views expressed here
belongs only to myself and not to any organization.

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/01/90)

gsm@mitre.org (Gio Marzot) writes:
>About a year ago I heard the IIcx touted as *the* machine for
>expandability and, something like, (alot of) Apple's future efforts would
>be directed around this design/form factor etc. Ok, the IIci is the same
>form factor but what gives? Has anybody heard what sort of upgrade paths
>are available for this machine? What about the ROM issues? From what I
>understand many people bought this model.  I realize its a fairly new
>product but if there are any rumors or facts around I'd be interested. Any
>body out there with big ears and loose lips?

  Well, Apple does have an upgrade path from the IIcx to the IIci...
Part #M0295LL/A, which sells for about $1700 educational...

  I just wonder what form factor Apple's 040 machine will take...
Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Dear Fascist Bully Boy,   Give me some money, or else.  Neil.  P.S. May
the seed of your loins be fruitful in the womb of your woman..."

msmiller@world.std.com (Mark S. Miller) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.214642.26534@Neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:
[>gsm@mitre.org (Gio Marzot) writes:
[>>About a year ago I heard the IIcx touted as *the* machine for
[>>expandability and, something like, (alot of) Apple's future efforts would
[>
[>  Well, Apple does have an upgrade path from the IIcx to the IIci...
[>Part #M0295LL/A, which sells for about $1700 educational...
[>
[>  I just wonder what form factor Apple's 040 machine will take...

I wouldn't get too worried about your IIcx becoming obsolete. It's
one thing to have an SE or something like that. But the IIcx *IS*
expandable enough to keep up with most of the weirdness Apple will
probably lay on us in the coming years. I figure by this time next
year you'll be able to dump a 25MHz chip in the box for next to
nothing (relatively speaking). Which will take care of the speed
issue.

As for me (for what it's worth), I think I'll leave my IIcx as is and
start saving up for a SparcStation of some kind.

	-MSM
Mark S. Miller                              UUCP: msmiller@world.std.com
"Different things vary."                             AOL/GEnie: MSMILLER
___ "Earnestness is just stupidity sent to college." - P.J. O'Rourke ___

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

gsm@mitre.org (Gio Marzot) writes:

>About a year ago I heard the IIcx touted as *the* machine for
>expandability and, something like, (alot of) Apple's future efforts would
>be directed around this design/form factor etc. Ok, the IIci is the same
>form factor but what gives? Has anybody heard what sort of upgrade paths
>are available for this machine? What about the ROM issues? From what I
>understand many people bought this model.  I realize its a fairly new
>product but if there are any rumors or facts around I'd be interested. Any
>body out there with big ears and loose lips?

There's a motherboard-swap deal, IIcx=>IIci.  See your dealer.

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec1.170223.7309@world.std.com> msmiller@world.std.com (Mark S. Miller) writes:

>As for me (for what it's worth), I think I'll leave my IIcx as is and
>start saving up for a SparcStation of some kind.

Funny thing. In the current MacWeek, it seems more and more people are doing
that very thing.

Just my $0.02.

--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (12/07/90)

    *In article <1990Dec5.200743.5242@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:
    **In article <1990Dec1.170223.7309@world.std.com> msmiller@world.std.com (Mark S. Miller) writes:
    **As for me (for what it's worth), I think I'll leave my IIcx as is and
    *Funny thing. In the current MacWeek, it seems more and more people are
    *doing that very thing.

I just got a IIcx for ~$2700.  I'm happy as a clam.  No crashes.  No (well few)
incompatiblilities.  I've got 16 meg of memory and using Maxima to manage the
extra memory.  Got a cheap--$499--105 meg disk.  And two slots left to play
with after I put a TPD card in it.

I think the IIcx was the last good Mac.

Ken Warner

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.200743.5242@slhisc.uucp>, ken@slhisc (Ken Stamm) writes:
>>As for me (for what it's worth), I think I'll leave my IIcx as is and
>>start saving up for a SparcStation of some kind.
>>

>Funny thing. In the current MacWeek, it seems more and more people are doing
>that very thing.

I wish I knew what those people were running on their SparcStations.
I've got one at work, and there's really no software of any value
available for it.  I run emacs and write code on it -- that it does
fine.  But what about *real* people?  What do *they* run?

Oh, sure, you can get FrameMaker, and WordPerfect (in character-based
mode -- whoopee!) and now Lotus (welcome to the 1980's, folks).  But
not much else for people who spend a lot of time working with
documents and need a friendly environment in which they can draw
charts, graphs, pictures, etc., and use a decent word processor that
supports nice Adobe fonts.

No Illustrator.  No MacDraw (though there's a Sun version now, I
hear).  No Nisus (I don't consider the lack of Word to be a drawback).

And of course you get Unix, which is a royal pain.  I can already run
multiple programs at one time on my Mac.  Big deal.

On top of which, X is a dog compared to the Mac's interface.  It runs
slowly, the cursor jerks around, there's little consistency between
programs...

What the heck do people run on these boxes?  What good does a
gazillion MIPS box do if you can't get your work done on it?

Remember when the Mac first came out it was *woefully* underpowered
compared to the PCs around in those days.  But people bought and used
them because of the software.  In those days, the software was truly a
breakthough -- there was nothing else even remotely like it
(forgetting for a moment about the ill-fated Lisa).

Software makes or breaks a machine, not MIPS.  Until someone starts
writing decent applications for Suns (and other Unix boxes), they're
going to remain workstations always -- not personal computers.

The Unix Expo at the Javits Center in New York City looked like an
auto show -- all you saw was hardware, hardware, hardware.
WordPerfect had a booth, Lotus had one.  That was about it for
software.  Compare that to any standard PC Expo or MacWorld Expo --
it's like night and day.

I suppose if I had to use a Unix box for personal use I'd pick a NeXT.
At least then I'd be able to run some interesting software....

(Just one long-time Mac owner and Unix programmer's opinion.)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."