[comp.sys.mac.misc] Wanted: Software to Hide Windows

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (12/06/90)

One of the features of System 7.0 is its ability to "hide" the windows
of an application that isn't in the foreground, on MultiFinder.  Example:
If you're in Microsoft Word, and you have a document window that fills up
the whole screen, and you switch over to Finder to do some disk work,
the Word window disappears, and leaves you with a completely empty desk-
top, so no windows get in the way of selecting disks, files, etc.
But when you switch into Word again, it reappears, with all stuff in
it intact.

Unfortunately, System 7.0 isn't available yet.

Is there an INIT or some other piece of software that will bring this
feature, or a similar such feature, to us users of 6.0.x?

If so, where can it be downloaded, FTP'd, etc. from?

Please reply to me through E-mail on this BBS (if this message was posted
on one), or to one of the following Email addresses:

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu
72540.3071@compuserve.COM

Thanks!
Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/07/90)

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

>One of the features of System 7.0 is its ability to "hide" the windows
>of an application that isn't in the foreground, on MultiFinder.  Example:
>If you're in Microsoft Word, and you have a document window that fills up
>the whole screen, and you switch over to Finder to do some disk work,
>the Word window disappears, and leaves you with a completely empty desk-
>top, so no windows get in the way of selecting disks, files, etc.
>But when you switch into Word again, it reappears, with all stuff in
>it intact.

>Unfortunately, System 7.0 isn't available yet.

>Is there an INIT or some other piece of software that will bring this
>feature, or a similar such feature, to us users of 6.0.x?

MultiFinder 6.1b9, wherever MacOS software is to be found.

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (12/07/90)

There is a beta multifinder which will more-or-less do the job. It seems
reliable (at least with system 6.0.5; I haven't tried 6.0.7).

Please answer a question for me: is it possible to put system 7 in a mode
where it automatically hides all the windows for another application? With
the silly version 6 beta MF you have to select "set aside others" every
time you want it. Worse, you have to hold option to get that; the default
is a totally useless "set aside self". Wish I knew how to fix that with
ResEdit.

For that matter, I'd love to be able to bring the finder disk icons
forward with the windows. Then no need for set aside, for me. Good old
Apple and their compulsion about the silly "desktop" metaphore. Give me
windows and you can have the "desktop".

Russell Owen
owen@raven.phys.washington.edu
Astronomy Dept. FM-20
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (12/07/90)

In article <12469@milton.u.washington.edu> owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:
>Please answer a question for me: is it possible to put system 7 in a mode
>where it automatically hides all the windows for another application? With
>the silly version 6 beta MF you have to select "set aside others" every
>time you want it. Worse, you have to hold option to get that; the default
>is a totally useless "set aside self". Wish I knew how to fix that with
>ResEdit.

  In System 7, there are separate "Hide application" and "Hide Others" items
under the application menu.

>For that matter, I'd love to be able to bring the finder disk icons
>forward with the windows. Then no need for set aside, for me. Good old
>Apple and their compulsion about the silly "desktop" metaphore. Give me
>windows and you can have the "desktop".

  (Plug forthcoming...)  I wrote an INIT for System 7 which puts aliases of
mounted volumes in a folder.  If you keep the window for this folder open,
you'll effectively have your volume icons in a window.  Too bad there aliases
don't work under System 6...

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163