[comp.sys.mac.misc] Inquiry on How to avoid dumping font bitmaps on Command-F

matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (MATSUOKA Satoshi) (11/28/90)

Hello, netland!

I am using Command-F (actually, I enabled the Save PS button on the
laserwriter driver) to dump PostScript so that I can include pictures
drawn on a Mac into my LaTeX file. The problem is that I use ATM, and
keep the Type 1 font outline files for Times, etc. in my System Folder
--- in this case, the bitmap of the fonts already available on the
LaserWriter gets included in the dump file; as a result, a 17kbyte PS
dump file without font bitmaps has grown to over 4Mb!

I tried turning background printing off, but that did not work.  I
tried turning off ATM in the control panel, but that did not work
either. (Besides, you have to reboot anyways, so that is quite a
hassle).  The current hack I use is to move all the font outline files
into a private folder; it is a clumsy solution, and I am looking for a
better way.

Is there any way to avoid the font bitmap dumps in a quick way?
Also, who is generating the bitmaps?
-+-  / \  +-------+	-+-+- /  \		Satoshi Matsuoka
/|\ / 	\ |  \ /  |	 +-+   /		Research Faculty
 |   	  | --+-- |	 +-+  /__\		Dept. of Information Science
 |   /    | |_|_| |	-+-+-  			The University of Tokyo
 |  /___\ |       |        | / \_/ \            E-mail: matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Physical mail: 7-3-1 Bunkyo-ku, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan 113
Office: +81-3-812-2111 ex. 4108 (8:30-18:00 JST)
Direct line to lab., automatically switches audio/fax: +81-3-5689-4365

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (11/29/90)

> I am using Command-F (actually, I enabled the Save PS button on the
> laserwriter driver) to dump PostScript so that I can include pictures
> drawn on a Mac into my LaTeX file. The problem is that I use ATM, and
> keep the Type 1 font outline files for Times, etc. in my System Folder
> --- in this case, the bitmap of the fonts already available on the
> LaserWriter gets included in the dump file; as a result, a 17kbyte PS
> dump file without font bitmaps has grown to over 4Mb!

Common problem, elegant solution: Use ResEdit to change the TYPE of the Adobe
font to anything other than LWFN. The printer driver looks both at the name
_and_ the TYPE of the font. Fortunately, ATM looks only at the name. So, if you
change the TYPE to something (I use xWFN) the printer driver won't find it, but
ATM still works just fine.

Good luck,
Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/30/90)

In article <1768@malta.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, matsu@is (MATSUOKA Satoshi) writes:
>I am using Command-F (actually, I enabled the Save PS button on the
>laserwriter driver) to dump PostScript so that I can include pictures
>drawn on a Mac into my LaTeX file. The problem is that I use ATM, and
>keep the Type 1 font outline files for Times, etc. in my System Folder
>--- in this case, the bitmap of the fonts already available on the
>LaserWriter gets included in the dump file; as a result, a 17kbyte PS
>dump file without font bitmaps has grown to over 4Mb!

The easiest way to avoid this problem is to use DiskTop or ResEdit or
some other tool that can change file types and creators and change the
type of the font files from LWFN to xWFN (or anything else).

The Mac looks for files of type LWFN to download when it's time to
print, so changing the type fools it into not downloading anything.
The result is much smaller PostScript files and less uploading time.

ATM will still work regardless of the type of the font files.  The
only problem is that if you use TypeAlign, it won't be able to find
the fonts because it explicitly looks for files with type LWFN.  So
it's not a perfect solution, but it's close.

Hope this helps.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (MATSUOKA Satoshi) (12/07/90)

In article <1768@malta.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> I wrote

   >Hello, netland!
   >
   >I am using Command-F (actually, I enabled the Save PS button on the
   >laserwriter driver) to dump PostScript so that I can include pictures
   >drawn on a Mac into my LaTeX file. The problem is that I use ATM, and
   >keep the Type 1 font outline files for Times, etc. in my System Folder
   >--- in this case, the bitmap of the fonts already available on the
   >LaserWriter gets included in the dump file
   >Is there any way to avoid the font bitmap dumps in a quick way?
   >Also, who is generating the bitmaps?

Thanks to those people who were so kind in answering my query;
Their solutions, changing the file type of the outline files
solved the problem.

There are also two minor followups:

1. With Suitcase II, you can place the outline files in the folder
where the Suitcase opened a suitcase file, instead of the System
Folder.  By changing the creator, you can no longer do this.

2. A friend pointed out to me that the dumped hex data are not
bitmaps, but are Adobe Type I font outline data.