[comp.sys.mac.misc] Need INFO on "DiskDoubler"

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (12/04/90)

I would appreciate it if any of you out there could give me your first-hand
impressions of how useful, and how safe, the program "DiskDoubler" is.

Does it really help save space on your hard disk?  By how much, roughly?
Do programs get damaged when being compacted or uncompacted?  Have you had
troubel running it on a particular system, machine, file or program?
Are you happt with "DiskDoubler?"

Please send me e-mail.
Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (12/06/90)

In article <125@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:

> I would appreciate it if any of you out there could give me your
first-hand
> impressions of how useful, and how safe, the program "DiskDoubler" is.
>
> Does it really help save space on your hard disk?  By how much, roughly?

On the average is saves about 40 to 60 percent, less when compressing
certain applications, much more when compressing certain fonts, sounds,
HyperCard stacks, image files, etc.

We have just converted all the files on our BBS from StuffIt to
DiskDoubler format. DiskDoubler is not only much faster than StuffIt but
also compresses more thightly.
The conversion freed up about 30 percent of the space previously used by
the StuffIt archives.

DiskDoubler's batch capability helped a great deal with this conversion of
some 120 MB of compressed files (DiskDoubler expands PackIt and StuffIt
archives much faster than the programs that created them).
After queueing up the commands (simply by holding down the option key)
and then double-clicking the batch file that it had automatically created,
the procss ran unattended for several hours. We were using the more time
consuming maximum compression mode, which tries two types of compression
algorithms and then keeps the smaller result.
In most cases the best-guess mode gives the same result, but to save
download time for our users, we wanted to make sure all of the files were
as small as possible. (BTW, even the fastest mode usually gives very good
results).

We have also looked at Diamond, Compactor, and StuffIt Deluxe, but none of
them comes even close to DiskDoubler in terms of user-friendliness and
convenience.

Some may perceive it as a disadvantage that one cannot look into a
DiskDoubler combined file and extract just a single file, but I believe
that doing away with the concept of archives a great deal of user
convenience if gained over StuffIt or Compactor. The speed of DiskDoubler
is not only a function of its quickness in processing files but also in
the time you save by not having to create and name archives or selecting
files in them for extraction.  On the average, I would say operating
DiskDoubler requires about an order of magnitude fewer key-strokes and
mouse-clicks than StuffIt.

> Do programs get damaged when being compacted or uncompacted?

I have never had any file damaged. DiskDoubler takes great care in making
sure that files are kept intact, even if unusual things happen. Since
DiskDoubler runs very well in the background under MultiFinder, I have
occasionally done risky things in the foreground and crashed my machine
while a file was being compressed or expanded. In no case did the file get
damaged.

> Have you had
> troubel running it on a particular system, machine, file or program?

No. There have been reports of conflicts between DiskDoubler INIT 2.04 and
3.0 with old versions of Claris MacWrite (not MacWrite II), Zedecor's Desk
DAs, Full Impact and MacMoney.
This problem was fixed with version 3.0a.  Note: 3.01 is the current
version.

> Are you happt with "DiskDoubler?"

I am extremely happy with it. I wouldn't want to use another one on a
daily basis, because all I have looked at are too disruptive of my
normal work flow.
I use it on both my Macs at work and at home. The DiskDoubler INIT is
wonderful, since it allows applications to recognize their compressed
files and open them (DiskDoubler kicks in automatically and expands the
file when you open it from within an applicaton).
After you quit the application, DiskDoubler kicks in automatically and
recompresses all the files that you expanded during the session. Thus,
DiskDoubler's name is really appropriately chosen.

I recently read that Apple Computer got a worldwide site license for all
of its employees to be able to use DiskDoubler. I wish they would license
it for building it into System 7.0 for the rest of us. They should also do
that with OnLocation and SuperBoomerang!

Another item on our wishlist is that Salient and Spider Island get
together to hook up the TeleFinder BBS software with DiskDoubler.
It would be terrific if DiskDoubler could automatically compress any
files that a BBS user downloads from one of our six on-line CD-ROM
discs and DD Expand would process it in real time as it arrives on
the user's machine.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov     Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143        Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail: Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.194720.15073@cs.utk.edu>, wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N.
Naegeli) writes:
> Another item on our wishlist is that Salient and Spider Island get
> together to hook up the TeleFinder BBS software with DiskDoubler.
> It would be terrific if DiskDoubler could automatically compress any
> files that a BBS user downloads from one of our six on-line CD-ROM
> discs and DD Expand would process it in real time as it arrives on
> the user's machine.

	I recently sent Salient a set of XCMD's for use with Hypercard and
MicroPhone II (and Supercard, etc.) which utilize the DiskDoubler engine
to perform compression and decompression of files.  I do not know if they
have begun redistributing them yet, but once they are this will give you
some additional ways to work with DD - especially in conjunction with your
BBS.
	Note, that this makes MicroPhone II the first communcations package
which can handle Stuffit, Stuffit Deluxe and Disk Doubler archives - and
I would also love to handle Compactor archives, but Bill Goodman isn't talking!
(Oh, Binhex, etc. coming soon...)
+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +

essam@gagme.chi.il.us (Essam Khairullah) (12/08/90)

One question that's been bothering me lately is this:

	Will DiskDoubler allow for compressed postscript files
	to be placed into documents?  For example, we use
	DesignStudio.  Can I place a compressed PS file in
	one of my documents and have it decompress itself when
	the file is printed?  We have more than 15 megs. of
	postscript files on our hard disk and this is a major
	concern when considering DiskDoubler.

Thanks....

--

Essam Khairullah					essam@gagme.chi.il.us