[comp.sys.mac.misc] Info about database software needed

foley@helix.nih.gov (Charles K. Foley) (12/04/90)

My wife doesn't have access to the net so I am posting the following
question for her.

Problem:

I presently use Excel 2.2 for managing scientific data.  Lately I have
been wondering if a database would better suit my data management needs.
I have done some research on available database software for the
Macintosh and it appears that 4th Dimension is the top rated program.
In reading about the database software, it appears one needs to be
able to do some programming to get the program to conduct searches.
I am not a programmer and do not wish to be.  That is why I have continued
to use Excel.  I can enter my data and do searches by setting up various
sorting patterns and just print out what I need.  When I ask people around
my Institute if they prefer a spreadsheet or database program for
handling data I do not get a good response because nobody uses a database.
Can database programs remember specific fields for each record entered
or do you have to enter something into each field every time a seperate
record is added?  Please respond if you would continue to use Excel or
would you switch to a databse program and why.  Also, if you would use
a database program what do you recommend?  Since I don't often read this
newsgroup, please respond to:

		foley@iris03.niehs.nih.gov

I will summarize if there is enough interest.

Thanks,

Charles Foley
National Institutes of Health
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
Research Triangle Park, NC  U.S.A.

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Martin) (12/09/90)

In article <702@nih-csl.nih.gov> foley@helix.nih.gov (Charles K. Foley) writes:
>Problem:
>
>I presently use Excel 2.2 for managing scientific data.  Lately I have
>been wondering if a database would better suit my data management needs.
>I have done some research on available database software for the
>Macintosh and it appears that 4th Dimension is the top rated program.
>In reading about the database software, it appears one needs to be
>able to do some programming to get the program to conduct searches.

Switch to 4D. The searching, sorting and reporting capabilities are
unmatched.  I have all cases from the Hawaii Tumor Registry up through
1988 on my mac II in a 4D database. I use 4D to create crosstabs and
datasets which I then transfer to one of my statistics packages or my
spreadsheet for analysis.

Best regards,

    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    1103 9th Avenue, Suite 203