[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macs on Ethernet

fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (12/07/90)

This is probably a stupid question, but here it goes...

Do Macs connected to Ethernet have a physical address (not the number that
AppleTalk assigns at StartUp) associated with them that can be monitored by
and IBM running on Ethernet???

We are running EtherTalk 2.0.  The IBMS are connected to Novell Servers.

Thanks for any help!
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)            Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: fc156111@seas.gwu.edu              Office of Management & Budget

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/10/90)

In article <2415@sparko.gwu.edu> fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire
Jr.) writes:
> Do Macs connected to Ethernet have a physical address (not the number
that
> AppleTalk assigns at StartUp) associated with them

Yes.  For example, Apple's Ethernet card manufactured by 3COM, each have a
unique 12 hex digit physical Ethernet address beginning with 3COM's vendor
code of 02608C (from memory, I think).

> that can be monitored by  and IBM running on Ethernet???
>
> We are running EtherTalk 2.0.  The IBMS are connected to Novell Servers.

Well every 802.3 ethernet packet (e.g. EtherTalk 2.0) packet from the Mac
will start out with its source Ethernet address set to the Mac's.  If the IBM and the Mac can see each other at the Link layer (e.g. no routers between them), the packets that reach the IBM will still have the Mac's Ethernet source address.  (If they do pass through a router, or a PC emulating a router, the Mac packet reaching your IBM will have the IBM-side-of-the-router's Ethernet address as it's source Ethernet address.)  From there, it's up to the software running on the IBM, as to whether these Ethern

et addresses are monitored.

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca