[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple ][ emulation

purplex@nacjack.gen.nz (Richard Knuckey) (12/09/90)

All of this talk about the apple ][ emulation board for the LC has lead
me to ask a question. What about the third party software package called
][_in_a_mac which is suppose to emulate an apple ][ entirely in
software.

I havn't seen this product so much as mentioned in the discussions. Even
in those asking about apple ][ emulation for macs other than LCs.

Has anyone had any experience with ][ in a mac? Is it any good? Does it
emulate a ][ well? What kind of ][ will it emulate up to (ie a ][+, ][e,
double hiRes?)

Seems funney to me.

======    ==    ######    ######
==   == ..................  ==  ..   ###      ###   ....................
======  ==   ==  === =====  ==  ====   ###  ###   ......................
== ...  ==   == ==   ==  == == ======    ####   .purplex@nacjack.gen.nz.
== ....  =====  ==   =====  ==  ====   ###  ###   ......................
...................  ==  .........   ###      ###   ....................
  ==    ######    ######

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (12/09/90)

(Re: II in a Mac)

II in a Mac is a fun little toy to play with, but if you want serious
Apple II emulation, forget it.

First off, you have to convert disks, through a null-modem cable hooked
between a II and a Mac, before you can use them.  You can, however, mount
an 800k-formatted 3.5" floppy directly, if you're using a SuperDrive.
(the new 1.44M floppys that are in the newer machines)

The emulator itself is extremely slow, because it emulates a 6502 (not
65C02), entirely through software.  On a Plus or Classic, it crawls.
On an SE/30, it's a little better.

The program maps slots to their Mac equivalent; slot 1 is the printer
port, slot 2 is the modem port, slot 5 and 6 are disk drives, etc.
It has 80-colum and graphics emulation built-in (lo-res and hi-res).

I ported several AppleSoft baSICK programs onto it, and ran them, success-
fully, but they crawled.  I even ran a BBS system on it, which was written
half in ML, half in BASIC, AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!  slow as molasses
however.

If you just wnat something to fool around with, then II in a Mac is ok.
But if you want to do some serious application running, like AppleWorks
or the like, then forget it.
Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

randy@tessa (randy frank) (12/10/90)

	The ][ in a mac software runs fairly well on an si range machine.
It does not support color and supports 80column text but not DHGR.  It
runs pretty good in 1 bit video but not at 8 bits.  It emulates a non-
enhanced apple//e I believe.  (ie cannot run stock appleworks) It also
double buffers by redrawing the screen completely instead of having
screen ready bitmaps of both HGR screens and just using copybits.  The
result is that in programs which use page flipping for smoother animation
the emulation really slows down.  I also found some bugs in its emulation.
I could not run some graphics programs under it (read: some games hung up
the emulation).

	Alternatives: The UNIX //e emulator (ftp isca.icaen.uiowa.edu)
will emulate an Apple//e enhanced (ie runs appleworks) under AUX.  It
only emulates text modes but it is FREE.  There is a standard MAC version
in the works (probably TEXT, GR, and HGR) hopefully done early 1991 and it
should be FREE (or at a very minimal cost).
--
rjf.
Randy Frank, Engineer                       |  (319) 335-6712

c60c-4gj@web-2e.berkeley.edu (Calvin Cheng) (12/11/90)

In article <9604@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald Burr) writes:

>(Re: II in a Mac)
>
>II in a Mac is a fun little toy to play with, but if you want serious
>Apple II emulation, forget it.
>
>First off, you have to convert disks, through a null-modem cable hooked
>between a II and a Mac, before you can use them.  You can, however, mount
>an 800k-formatted 3.5" floppy directly, if you're using a SuperDrive.
>(the new 1.44M floppys that are in the newer machines)
>
>The emulator itself is extremely slow, because it emulates a 6502 (not
>65C02), entirely through software.  On a Plus or Classic, it crawls.
>On an SE/30, it's a little better.

Having to convert 5.25" disks is a pain in the ass... I wish they
could implement something like the file sharing architecture in SoftPC
Anyhow I remember playing around with II in a Mac (don't have the program)
and remember that it does emulate a 65C02 (the monitor actually disassembled
65C02 instructions).  On the SE/30, it seems to be faster than the
II Plus that I have.

U dont need a SuperDrive to read ProDOS disks... that's a joke since
both ProDOS and HFS use the same GCR formatting.

I did hear that this is a very poorly supported program.. and wonder if it
really works on a Mac II.

| Calvin Cheng                                                          |
| calvinc@ocf.berkeley                    The Best is Yet to Be!        |

prw@Apple.COM (Paul Wenker) (12/11/90)

Before I get into this, I should warn people that I'm not exactly impartial
on this topic.  I'm part of the development team for LC's Apple IIe Card.

In article <9604@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald Burr) writes:
>(Re: II in a Mac)
>
>II in a Mac is a fun little toy to play with, but if you want serious
>Apple II emulation, forget it.
>
>First off, you have to convert disks, through a null-modem cable hooked
>between a II and a Mac, before you can use them.  You can, however, mount
>an 800k-formatted 3.5" floppy directly, if you're using a SuperDrive.
>(the new 1.44M floppys that are in the newer machines)

This is more than just an inconvenience.  There is no way to convert copy
protected software, which includes probably 90% of all published software for
the IIe.

>The emulator itself is extremely slow, because it emulates a 6502 (not
>65C02), entirely through software.  On a Plus or Classic, it crawls.
>On an SE/30, it's a little better.
>
>The program maps slots to their Mac equivalent; slot 1 is the printer
>port, slot 2 is the modem port, slot 5 and 6 are disk drives, etc.

The slot configurations are hard coded.  Programs that rely on a different
configuration are out of luck.  It's also missing a few potentially useful
"cards" like the Memory Expansion Card and an AppleShare Workstation Card.

>It has 80-colum and graphics emulation built-in (lo-res and hi-res).

It also does 40-column text, but not double hi-res.  It is also limited to
black and white graphics.

>I ported several AppleSoft baSICK programs onto it, and ran them, success-
>fully, but they crawled.  I even ran a BBS system on it, which was written
>half in ML, half in BASIC, AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!  slow as molasses
>however.
>
>If you just wnat something to fool around with, then II in a Mac is ok.
>But if you want to do some serious application running, like AppleWorks
>or the like, then forget it.

"II in a Mac" does work, albeit slowly.  It also has the advantage that it will
run on any Mac, not just an LC with a card.

>Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
>INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
>      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

Paul Wenker				UUCP: prw@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.			AppleLink: PAUL