[comp.sys.mac.misc] File Translations PC->Mac and Back

gillies@noao.edu (Kim Gillies) (12/05/90)

We have a group of IBM/Dos WordPerfect users that need to exchange files with
a person using a Macintosh.

Would someone who currently does this successfully please write and tell
me what products (word processors, file exchange programs, disk mounters),
are required and known to make this exchange of files work smoothly?

We plan on purchasing one of the newer Macs with the more capable disk
drives to make this process easier.  Please send suggestions to the address
below.

Thanks.

--------------------
Kim Gillies, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ
Usenet:   {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!gillies or  uunet!noao.edu!gillies
Internet: gillies@noao.edu         SPAN/HEPNET:  draco::gillies
Phonenet: 6023259246

PMW0@Lehigh (12/10/90)

I just purchased a new mac IIsi and it comes with AppleFileExchange.
This is a translator for moving files from PC to Mac and back.  It
needs a SuperDrive to work and the PC must be able to use the 3.5 disks
as well.  I've used the translator successfully on an ASCII file
created on a PC.  The transfer created a text file that I could read
with WriteNow or MicrosoftWord.

There are other alternatives out there.  I good one, so I've heard, is
MacLink.  LapLink is another but this runs from the PC, not the mac as
does MacLink.  I have not tried either.  These programs, I believe also
can come with cables to hook the pc to the mac thus making the need for
the superdrive unnecessary.

Hope this helps.

                Phil

warack@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Christopher Warack) (12/10/90)

In article <09129011:19:13PMW0@lehigh.bitnet> PMW0@Lehigh writes:
>There are other alternatives out there.  I good one, so I've heard, is
>MacLink.  LapLink is another but this runs from the PC, not the mac as
>does MacLink.  I have not tried either.  These programs, I believe also
>can come with cables to hook the pc to the mac thus making the need for
>the superdrive unnecessary.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>                Phil

I own MacLink.  It lets you transfer files from either direction, PC or
Mac, and converts the format.  It's very powerful this way.  It comes with
a cable that connects to the Mac on one side and either a 9-pin serial,
25-pin serial or another Mac (Mini DIN-8) on the other side.

Several conversions are available from PC programs to Mac programs and
back.  It also transfers programs from Mac to Mac VERY quickly.

The only drawback for pure file conversion is that it requires connection
to a PC.  As far as I can tell, you cannot use LapLink to read files off of
a PC disk in your Superdrive and convert it to a Mac format.

Chris

--
Christopher A. Warack                   warack@eecs.umich.edu
Graduate Dept, EECS			(313) 665-4789

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/11/90)

From article <1990Dec9.203628.2164@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, by warack@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Christopher Warack):
> The only drawback for pure file conversion is that it requires connection
> to a PC.  As far as I can tell, you cannot use LapLink to read files off of
> a PC disk in your Superdrive and convert it to a Mac format.

No, but you should be able to use AFE to read the file onto your
Macintosh and then tell MacLink that it's in PC format.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu