[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to get PS for MAC

auix@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (12/09/90)

I am trying to get a postscript file of a mac document.
Could somebody tell me how to do it from print dialogue.

I have tried holding down option F , command F, control F
and all its permutations, since I heard  that will do it.

Thanks.

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec9.053303.1471@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> auix@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>I am trying to get a postscript file of a mac document.
>Could somebody tell me how to do it from print dialogue.
>
>I have tried holding down option F , command F, control F
>and all its permutations, since I heard  that will do it.
>
>Thanks.

You were awfully close.  It's just plain F.  No command, shift, or anything
else.  When you get the LaserWriter Print dialog, hold down F while you
click OK.  It'll be saved in the current folder as "PostScript[0..9]",
so you can print up to 9 postscript files to disk before you have to quit
and rename them.

alternately, you can hold down K, and it'll print them, including
Apple's PostScript initialization header.  If you'll be using the file
on an Apple printer or compatible, then this is what you'd want to do;
if you're porting to a UNIX or something, then just hit F.
Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (12/12/90)

In article <9605@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald Burr) writes:
>In article <1990Dec9.053303.1471@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> auix@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>>I am trying to get a postscript file of a mac document.
>>Could somebody tell me how to do it from print dialogue.
>>
>>I have tried holding down option F , command F, control F
>>and all its permutations, since I heard  that will do it.
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>You were awfully close.  It's just plain F.  No command, shift, or anything
>else.  When you get the LaserWriter Print dialog, hold down F while you
>click OK.  It'll be saved in the current folder as "PostScript[0..9]",
>so you can print up to 9 postscript files to disk before you have to quit
>and rename them.

Actually, you can use either F or command-F to produce a PostScript
dump.  I suspect that the first poster is having problems because he
didn't turn off background printing in the Chooser.  The
command-F/command-K trick doesn't work when background printing is
turned on.  Using the "Disk File" checkbox in the LaserWriter Print
Dialog (i.e., if you've hacked the dialog to reveal the box) will work
fine with background printing, however; the PostScript[n] files will
appear in PrintMonitor's Spool Folder (in the System Folder).

If you saw my earlier post on this topic, please ignore it.  I didn't
cancel it in time.

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }