[comp.sys.mac.misc] UUCP/mail/news for Mac?

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (12/03/90)

Got a friend in Tampa, Fl., who is interested in hooking into the network.
Can anyone tell me if there is good UUCP software for the Macintosh,
running under the MacOS, including a news and mail reader?  Also, are
there any sites in the Tampa area where he might be able to get a feed,
or failing that, an account so he has news/mail capability?

Thanks in advance... (and respond via email, please)

| Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor trebor@biar.UUCP |
| "Does this include a gratuity?" --- Agent Cooper, "Twin Peaks," 9/30/90  |

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/04/90)

In article <1210@biar.UUCP>, trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
> Got a friend in Tampa, Fl., who is interested in hooking into the network.
> Can anyone tell me if there is good UUCP software for the Macintosh,
> running under the MacOS, including a news and mail reader?  Also, are
> there any sites in the Tampa area where he might be able to get a feed,
> or failing that, an account so he has news/mail capability?
>
> Thanks in advance... (and respond via email, please)

ICE Engineering sells "uAccess" a full UUCP/Mail/News implementation
for the Macintosh. Full interface for news and mail and administration.
A small article was written in MacWeek Sept 25, 1990, and a complete
review done in UNIX/Today! Nov 12, 1990.

For more info email:
	"info@ice.com".

Disclaimer: I work for ICE Engineering, and thus I am biased.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

wallich@iti.org (Ken Wallich) (12/08/90)

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) writes:

>ICE Engineering sells "uAccess" a full UUCP/Mail/News implementation
>for the Macintosh. Full interface for news and mail and administration.
>Disclaimer: I work for ICE Engineering, and thus I am biased.

I don't work for ICE, but am a customer.  I installed uAccess Monday, and
only 1 hour later, threw out uupc and gnuucp (well, I archived them :-).

It is very easy to configure, compared to UNIX, but can be confusing if you
have never done it before.  The step by step instructions in the manual
are quite good, but can be a little confusing at times.  It packs a lot
of power into a very simple interface, and provides a lot of functionality.

I have encountered less than half a dozen things I'd like enhanced, which
is remarkable considering how picky I am about my interfaces.  I've only
encountered one bug, and that is a problem with the Communications Toolbox.
Occasionally, uAccess with complain about having problems talking to
something in the CT, and I have to reboot the Mac to clear up the problem.
No crashes or anything nasty though, so it isn't an insurmountable problem.

I'll be doing my full blown configuration this weekend, adding additional
mail clients, in addition to my main mail and news servers.  Something
that was simply too hard to bother with with the public domain packages.

Also, I haven't started getting my full-blown newsfeeds transferred to the
Mac yet, so I'm not certain how well it will deal with the volume :-(, or
how well the interface will support wading through everything.

My main complaint with the interface at this point is that it remembers
the configuration of some windows (i.e. placement and size), but doesn't
remember others.  For instance, the Mailboxes window comes up right where
I left it last time, but it doesn't put the individual message windows where
I last put them, or have a concept of a default message window size and
location.

This will be a problem with news, for me at least, since I have
a 19" monitor, and would like my messages/articles to all come up large in
a place on the screen that isn't where uAccess wants to put it by default.
I may try to tweek this with ResEdit, but it is something that I hope to
see taken care of in the next version.  If you have a little 9" Mac monitor,
I think the default interface probably would be ideal.

All in all, this package is even better than it was advertised to be.

ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) (12/12/90)

>ICE Engineering sells "uAccess" a full UUCP/Mail/News implementation

Please tell me where I might get this and how much it costs.