[comp.sys.mac.misc] A IIsi or a IIci?

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (11/27/90)

www@sppy00.UUCP (Victor Shakapopolis) writes:

>I am considering replacing my Mac Plus with either a Mac IIsi or a Mac
>IIci.  I can purchase a Mac IIci with 4MB/80MB, RGB monitor and keyboard
>for about $1,300 more than what I would pay for a IIsi with a similar
>configuration (5MB/80MB, RGB monitor and keyboard).

	Does this figure take into account the additional cost of an
adapter board to get the 68882 coprocessor chip (standard on ci, not on si)?
Also, note that, with only 4 SIMM slots, memory expansion beyond 5 MB
requires replacement of *all* 1 MB SIMMs with 4 MB SIMMS according to a
recent InfoWorld. Now *that* will be costly!

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (11/28/90)

In article <1034@sppy00.UUCP> www@sppy00.UUCP (Victor Shakapopolis) writes:

>I am considering replacing my Mac Plus with either a Mac IIsi or a Mac
>IIci.
>My question, is the IIci worth the additional $1,300 over the IIsi?

The differences are approximately four:

	1) The IIci is faster then the IIsi
	2) The IIci is more expandable than the IIsi.
	3) The IIsi is smaller, cheaper, and quieter than the IIci.
	4) The IIsi has sexy (but useless??) sound input hardware.

Do you plan on adding more than one card to your new Macintosh?
(Remember, the IIsi does have built-in 13", 8-bit video--like the
IIci.)

The IIci is somewhat faster than the IIsi, partly because of its 25Mhz
clock (vs. 20MHz) and partly because the IIci includes a math chip
out-of-the-box.  The IIsi only includes an FPU when you add a
necessary Apple adaptor card for a Nubus or PDS card.  The IIci can
also take a plugin cache card for a 30%-ish speedup.

On the IIsi's plus-side, it is smaller, lighter, quieter (?), and
cheaper than the IIci.  (At home I recently swapped a worked-owned
IIsi for a work-owned IIfx.  I am waiting to get the IIsi back home.
The IIfx might be faster, but it also takes up so much more room, and
is *so* much louder--besides, I need Ethernet and the slots at work
but not at home.)

As for power supply problems, it depends on whether the Nubus card you
want to add is a power hog.  Most Nubus cards are not a problem.  The
ones that are power hogs are the ones that are "high performance".
Fancy accelerator chips are power-hungry.  Some (all?) 24-bit video
cards are also power hogs--the video RAM needs to be fast and fast
means hungry.

What should you buy?  Count up all the Nubus cards you know you want
to install.  If the number is even slightly greater than one, buy a
IIci.  If you still have a IIsi and no more than a single Nubus board
in mind, check that the board follows the Apple power limits.

If the IIsi still looks good to you, *buy* one.  It is a great
machine.  Apple is going to sell tons of the--for good reason.

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) (11/29/90)

In article <1660@camex.COM> kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:
> What should you buy?  Count up all the Nubus cards you know you want
> to install.  If the number is even slightly greater than one, buy a
> IIci.  If you still have a IIsi and no more than a single Nubus board
> in mind, check that the board follows the Apple power limits.
>
> If the IIsi still looks good to you, *buy* one.  It is a great
> machine.  Apple is going to sell tons of the--for good reason.

An interesting question is: Which of these machines will there be a '040
upgrade for, in a couple of months?

Espen J. Vestre
Department of Mathematics
University of Oslo
P.o. Box 1053 Blindern
N-0316 OSLO 3
NORWAY                            espen@math.uio.no

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (11/30/90)

In article <1660@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:

>      4) The IIsi has sexy (but useless??) sound input hardware.

The Hyprcard 2 audio pallete will soon ship, so it won't be
useless much longer.

>The IIci can also take a plugin cache card for a 30%-ish speedup.

I believe there is a third party that is planning to market a cache
card which will fit into the PDS slot on the IIsi.  (I can't resist:
Despite rumors to the contrary, the cache card will not work in an
automatic teller machine. :-)

>What should you buy?  Count up all the Nubus cards you know you want
>to install.  If the number is even slightly greater than one, buy a
>IIci.  If you still have a IIsi and no more than a single Nubus board
>in mind, check that the board follows the Apple power limits.

There is also a third-party manufacturer that has announced it will
produce a NuBus expansion box for the IIsi.  This should solve the
power problems as well as increasing the number of slots.  (The
reason for the power problem is that some NuBus cards use more
power than is allocated to one slot.)

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (11/30/90)

espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes:

>In article <1660@camex.COM> kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:
>> What should you buy?  Count up all the Nubus cards you know you want
>> to install.  If the number is even slightly greater than one, buy a
>>

>An interesting question is: Which of these machines will there be a '040
>upgrade for, in a couple of months?

  I'd say both of them...  although the IIci may be the first to get
it - I imagine Daystar Digital are working on 040 revisions of their IIci
cache slot plug-ins right now...
  The only question about the IIsi is whether it has enough power to
run the 1.2 mill transistor 68040.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Dear Fascist Bully Boy,   Give me some money, or else.  Neil.  P.S. May
the seed of your loins be fruitful in the womb of your woman..."

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (12/05/90)

 [ IIci vs. IIsi ]

 This is a question I'm arguing over myself.

 The way I see the differences (some one please correct as needed):

 IIci			IIsi
 ----			----
 25Mhz 68030 (MMU)	20Mhz 68030 (MMU)

 FPU			No FPU

 3 Nubus slots		One gender neutral slot (can be Nubus or PDS,
 			depending on plug-in adapter @ about $200,
 			includes FPU)

 Can take 1/2 height	Can take 1/3rd height drives
 drives

 Built-in video for	The same built-in video
 certain Apple
 monitors

 Two ADB ports		One ADB port

 Two serial ports	Same

 Cache card		None

 512K ROM		Same

 ROM SIMM upgrade 	Same
 slot

 8 RAM SIMM slots,	4 SIMM slots, plus 1MB on the motherboard, expandable
 expandable via Nubus	via Nubus (there goes the slot!)

 1 internal floppy	Same

 No built-in sound	Built-in sound input
 input

 The street prices between a IIci and a IIsi (equipped with FPU) appears to be
 about $1000. I think the ci is worth the extra bucks, because of
 expandability and speed. At some point, I'd like to add a second monitor, and
 with the si, I'd have to kiss the slot goodbye. With the ci, I've still got
 two more to play with. Also, at some point if you want to expand beyond the
 motherboard memory (don't laugh!), the ci gives you some extra slots to do it
 with.

 Rich

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Nov29.100009.27395@ulrik.uio.no> espen@math.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes:
>An interesting question is: Which of these machines [IIci or IIsi]
>will there be a '040 upgrade for, in a couple of months?

How much power does a 68040 suck?  That might make the difference, the
IIsi maybe can't keep a 68040 fed.

Second question: How much support circuitry does a 68040 need?  Could
it be squeezed on the IIsi adapter while still leaving room for the
Nubus slot?  (*Certainly* won't need a 68881 on that card if there is
a 68040 there!  That helps some.)

Considerations: The IIci is owned by people who wanted more power than
a IIcx.  The IIsi will probably have a bigger installed base before
long.  Which is the better market for Daystar, et al, to tackle?

I hadn't thought of being able soon to add a 68040 to a IIsi.
Interesting idea...nice idea!

P.S.  We really seem to be heading away from having very many open
slots.  Sure, most people don't use them, but some folks are really
hurting in slot-shortages.

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
Kent's Invasion Countdown: 44 Days

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (12/06/90)

In article <17802@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> [ IIci vs. IIsi ]
>
> IIci			IIsi
> ----			----
> 3 Nubus slots		One gender neutral slot (can be Nubus or PDS,
> 			depending on plug-in adapter @ about $200,
> 			includes FPU)

  As mentioned elsewhere, if you _really_ need to, you can get an expansion
chassis, but they supposedly cost near $1,000.  (Prices anyone?)

> Two ADB ports		One ADB port

  You can get a Y-ADB cable for about $17, if you need two ports.  I'll be
getting this cable.

> 8 RAM SIMM slots,	4 SIMM slots, plus 1MB on the motherboard, expandable
> expandable via Nubus	via Nubus (there goes the slot!)

  With the current limit of usable system memory at 8 megs, a IIsi user can
get to that limit quickly with 2 meg SIMMs.  (Yes, the ci user can get there
with 1 meg SIMMs, but that's not my point.)  You can get up to 17 megs and
I really don't think many of us need that much memory.  Hell, I'll be
happy with the 5 megs I will have.

  Just trying to even the score.
  I'm not saying the IIsi is better, but it's all I could afford, so I will
get and love it and hug it and name it George...

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (12/06/90)

In article <572@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes...
>  With the current limit of usable system memory at 8 megs, a IIsi user can
>get to that limit quickly with 2 meg SIMMs.  (Yes, the ci user can get there
>with 1 meg SIMMs, but that's not my point.)  You can get up to 17 megs and
>I really don't think many of us need that much memory.  Hell, I'll be
>happy with the 5 megs I will have.

 Well, I take the attitude that one can never have too much memory. Just
 think, when the Plus first came out, 1MB was considered a lot; now, it's
 minimal, and when System 7.0 appears, it will be inadequate.

 Things like color paint programs, sound digitizers, page layout applications,
 etc. can be quite memory-hungry. 17MB may sound like a lot now, but as
 applications grow in capability and complexity, so will memory needs. I'd just
 rather have a system that can easily expand if need be.

 [BTW, does anyone know what the limit is on Nubus expansion memory?]

 Yes, I know about Virtual, and it's very nice, but there's no substitute
 for real memory. Take it from one currently using a 16MB VAX, and I could use
 a lot more!

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (12/11/90)

Memory on the IIsi is expandable to 17m using 4 meg SIMMs, and
is compatible with future 16meg SIMMs. Do you need slow NuBus
memory if those 16meg SIMMs become available?

Rumor is several 3rd party vendors are working on bus expanders.
If the quantities of IIsi's reported to be shipping are correct
I suspect they're working hard.

Do you need extra slots, really? I work with spreadsheets, Think C.
telecom programs, misc. utilities, and the only thing I can think
of are a 24 bit video card or a two page b&w card.

Yes, with more slots, I could have both. But I find it hard to
believe my finances could really extend to both.

The non FPU isn't really a question, if you use your slot for
anything, you have an FPU. If you don't you can buy a slot adaptor
to get one, or wait a while. Third party vendors are *bound* to
offer an FPU board. Therefore, if you're worrying about your slot
usage, you neednt worry about the FPU.

jim
.

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.083628.12791@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes...
>Memory on the IIsi is expandable to 17m using 4 meg SIMMs, and
>is compatible with future 16meg SIMMs. Do you need slow NuBus
>memory if those 16meg SIMMs become available?

 Memory on the IIci is expandable to 32MB using 4MB SIMMs. I believe the ci is
 also compatible with 16MB SIMMs (anyone know for sure?).

>Rumor is several 3rd party vendors are working on bus expanders.
>If the quantities of IIsi's reported to be shipping are correct
>I suspect they're working hard.

 You mean like "slots in a box"? The ones I've seen for the SE are usually
 around a grand. For that money, might as well have bought the ci.