From: spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)
Newsgroups: comp.virus
Subject: Author of Scores to be charged (Mac)
Date: 11 Dec 90 02:10:14 GMT
Sender: Virus Discussion List <VIRUS-L@LEHIIBM1>

The Dallas prosecutor's office is going to move ahead and file charges
against the author of the Scores virus.  To help get a handle on the
scope of the damages done by the virus, they would appreciate hearing
from people who have had the Scores virus.  The information will not
be used on an item-by-item basis in the trial, and you won't be called
as a witness -- they have lots of hard evidence already.  However,
they need some information to show that the virus has caused extensive
damage outside of EDS (where it was originally released).

If you are willing to help with this effort, send a letter to
	Lt. Walt Manning
	Dallas Police Dept.
	1840 Chestnut. St.
	Dallas, TX 75226
Include specifics on when your system(s) got hit with the Scores
virus, any damage it did, and approximately what it took in terms of
time and expense to clean your systems.  Other data relating to the
infection will also be appreciated.

According to Lt. Manning, he would also appreciate (separate) letters
from people on company/school letterhead stating that viruses such as
Scores are major problems in the computing community and their authors
should be prosecuted under appropriate law, if feasible.  Nothing
extreme here -- he needs some rational, reasoned letters of support
"just in case".

Lt. Manning says they've discussed it some and expect the suspect to
plead guilty when shown the evidence they have against him.  They are
probably going to probably seek a suspended sentence along with
community service and a public apology.  They don't believe that
extended jail time will help here, but they want to make it clear that
writing viruses is a wrong thing to do, and if caught the authors will
face punishment.

--
		James F. Kennedy 	Finger me if you want me;)
	Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory -- The University of Pennsylvania