[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIsi Report

warack@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Christopher Warack) (12/10/90)

Picked up my new system last week:  IIsi, 5MB, NuBus card, 13" RGB monitor,
extended keyboard, and 80MB HD.

Replaces my Mac+ with 30MB HD, 2.5MB mem, and Mac-101 keyboard.

I like it.

The following programs all work like a charm:
Excel (I have an FPU on the NuBus card)
Word
PowerPoint (Check out the color demo in slide show mode)
Correct Grammar
Dollars and Sense (Greatest noticeable improvement -- reports are FAST)
MacTools
Prodigy (Color is much nicer -- performance a little better)
WillMaker
White Knight
Pool of Radiance
Moria
GunShy
Pipe Dream
Gauntlet

Tetris (B&W) works but the sound is screwed up.
Superpaint works well except that colors don't show up on the screen.

The following are the only programs I expected to work and didn't:

DeltaGraph: Can't open files from inside the program and crashes on some
files.

Puzzle Gallery (At the Carnival): Wierd.  Worked fine for three
puzzles.  Hung.  Deleted it and reloaded it, hung...

Hypercard 2.0 is nice but how do I convert my old address stack to the new
format (without writing a script for it)?

I'm happy -- at least for now.
Chris

--
Christopher A. Warack                   warack@eecs.umich.edu
Graduate Dept, EECS			(313) 665-4789

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/10/90)

Regarding the suggestion that DeltaGraph does not work properly on a IIsi:

I have been running DeltaGraph 1.5 intensively on my new IIsi both before
and after I received my FPU, and have not had any problems.  The only
thing that didn't work was the Excel macro used in linking Excel ranges
to DeltaGraph documents; a call to DeltaPoint got me a new macro that does
work.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.213201.3272@zip.eecs.umich.edu> warack@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Christopher Warack) writes:

My wife has a IIsi 5/40 with NuBus adapter.

>Tetris (B&W) works but the sound is screwed up.

No problems here with version 1.0.

>The following are the only programs I expected to work and didn't:
>
>DeltaGraph: Can't open files from inside the program and crashes on some
>files.

Works fine. Version 1.5.

>Hypercard 2.0 is nice but how do I convert my old address stack to the new
>format (without writing a script for it)?

There should be a "Convert" option that takes the place of the "Compact"
menu option if you open an old stack. Haven't tried this on any complex
stacks.

>Chris

	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

d85-qkn@dront.nada.kth.se (Jan Sundberg) (12/12/90)

I also have a IIsi 5/40 with a NuBus card and a 13" RGB monitor.
I am pleased with it and it seem to work fine, but there are two small buts.

Solarian II. All the game symbols are duplicated on the screen.
The game itself seem to work fine when it comes to sound and functionality
but the graphic is a real mess. I have tried to change the gamma table
but the result is the same. I think this is due to the fact that si drives
the monitor from the motherboard and not a separate video card.
Anyone else with the same experiences ?

SimCity. After selecting the terrain and the city name, the game crashes.
Sometimes it manages to tell me that it is due to a coprocessor not installed
error. This is strange because I already have one installed...

Please help me.....

/Janne

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (12/13/90)

In article <D85-QKN.90Dec12131305@dront.nada.kth.se>, d85-qkn@dront (Jan Sundberg) writes:
>I also have a IIsi 5/40 with a NuBus card and a 13" RGB monitor.
>I am pleased with it and it seem to work fine, but there are two small buts.
>
>Solarian II. All the game symbols are duplicated on the screen.
>The game itself seem to work fine when it comes to sound and functionality
>but the graphic is a real mess. I have tried to change the gamma table
>but the result is the same. I think this is due to the fact that si drives
>the monitor from the motherboard and not a separate video card.
>Anyone else with the same experiences ?

Works fine on the IIci, which has a similar video configuration.  I
know it has sound problems under 6.0.7, but the game itself should
work fine.  Have you tried it without running any INITs?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

vaps0de@prism.gatech.EDU (Dustin Emhart) (12/13/90)

}
}Solarian II. All the game symbols are duplicated on the screen.
}The game itself seem to work fine when it comes to sound and functionality
}but the graphic is a real mess. I have tried to change the gamma table
}but the result is the same. I think this is due to the fact that si drives
}the monitor from the motherboard and not a separate video card.
}Anyone else with the same experiences ?

I have a IIsi 5/80:  13" montior but no NuBus card.  I play Solarian II 1.03b1
often and have not noticed any problems.  (I got the new version from Sumex;
the author recommends users with older versions of the game get the new
version because he has fixed a lot of bugs.
--
Dustin Emhart
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!vaps0de