[comp.sys.mac.misc] Getting PageMaker 4.0 to use Apple driver

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) (12/11/90)

Is there anyway to get PageMaker 4.0 to default to the Apple driver?  We
have modified the Laser Prep code and changed the password on the printers
so that we can enforce some rules of printing.  But whenevr PM tries
to download the Aldus driver, it tells the poor user that it can't print.
Then we have to explain to them that they have to hold down the option
key to print..which is decidedly un-Maclike :)

So any ideas?

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.192633.7501@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:

>Is there anyway to get PageMaker 4.0 to default to the Apple driver?  We
>have modified the Laser Prep code and changed the password on the printers
>so that we can enforce some rules of printing.  But whenevr PM tries
>to download the Aldus driver, it tells the poor user that it can't print.
>Then we have to explain to them that they have to hold down the option
>key to print..which is decidedly un-Maclike :)
>
>So any ideas?

Well, here's an IDEA (that is, I haven't tried it out :-)...

Make a copy of your modified Laser Prep. Change type and creator to ALDP/ALD4.
Rename it Aldus Prep. Put it in the Aldus folder (which is inside the System
Folder). Oh yeah, rename the REAL Aldus Prep first. Cross fingers. Print.
IF it works THEN
   send profuse thanks
ELSE don't send profuse thanks...

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

eoshough@nmsu.edu (Azel The Destroyer) (12/13/90)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes in reference to subject:

>Make a copy of your modified Laser Prep. Change type and creator to
>ALDP/ALD4.  Rename it Aldus Prep. Put it in the Aldus folder (which
>is inside the System Folder). Oh yeah, rename the REAL Aldus Prep
>first. Cross fingers. Print.  IF it works THEN send profuse thanks
>ELSE don't send profuse thanks...

I gave this a try, and it seems to work just fine, so..

#include <profuse-thanks.h>

	The next problem I've encountered is that Aldus has designed
PageMaker 4.0 with the assumption that whoever buys it will use it off
of a harddrive.  This is not the case.  I'd like to run PageMaker off
of an AppleShare server in a lab enviroment where not all machines
have harddrives.  The problem as I see it is that PageMaker is
dependent on a folder it calls Aldus in the system folder.  That's
where it keeps printer description files, dictionary goo, extra PM4
resources, import and export filters, and a host of other things.  A
full installation of relevant printer discription files, and import
and export filters amounts to about 1.2 megabytes of stuff that
PageMaker needs to work.  This would be ok if we had high density
drives in all the machines, but this is not the case.

Feel free to send any flames, suggestions, requests for clarification,
and especially solutions to eoshough@nmsu.edu.

		  ~			| Erik O'Shaughnessy
|\/\/\/|  	   ~			| Small Systems
C      _) 		    ===		|------------------------------------
|  ,___|  		    ===		|"Do not follow the NULL pointer,
|    /    				| for that path leads to chaos,
/____\    	Die Bart! Die!		| and madness." - me
|     \   				|

eoshough@nmsu.edu (Azel The Destroyer) (12/13/90)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes in reference to subject:

>Make a copy of your modified Laser Prep. Change type and creator to
>ALDP/ALD4.  Rename it Aldus Prep. Put it in the Aldus folder (which
>is inside the System Folder). Oh yeah, rename the REAL Aldus Prep
>first. Cross fingers. Print.  IF it works THEN send profuse thanks
>ELSE don't send profuse thanks...

I gave this a try, and it seems to work just fine, so..

#include <profuse-thanks.h>

	The next problem I've encountered is that Aldus has designed
PageMaker 4.0 with the assumption that whoever buys it will use it off
of a harddrive.  This is not the case.  I'd like to run PageMaker off
of an AppleShare server in a lab enviroment where not all machines
have harddrives.  The problem as I see it is that PageMaker is
dependent on a folder it calls Aldus in the system folder.  That's
where it keeps printer description files, dictionary goo, extra PM4
resources, import and export filters, and a host of other things.  A
full installation of relevant printer discription files, and import
and export filters amounts to about 1.2 megabytes of stuff that
PageMaker needs to work.  This would be ok if we had high density
drives in all the machines, but this is not the case.

Feel free to send any flames, suggestions, requests for clarification,
and especially solutions to eoshough@nmsu.edu.
		  ~			| Erik O'Shaughnessy
|\/\/\/|  	   ~			| Small Systems
|      |  	 ~  	       		| New Mexico State University
|   *  |          ~ o==========		| Las Cruces, NM USA
| (x)(x)  	    	|_|====		| eoshough@dante.nmsu.edu
C      _) 		    ===		|------------------------------------
|  ,___|  		    ===		|"Do not follow the NULL pointer,
|    /    				| for that path leads to chaos,
/____\    	Die Bart! Die!		| and madness." - me

colella@emav51.webo.dg.com (Wayne Colella) (12/14/90)

Could someone explain what, exactly, changing the type/creator of the
Aldus Prep file does that causes PageMaker to use the Apple driver?
Also, will I still be able to CHOOSE the Aldus driver, either by using
the option key or some other means?

Thanks.

	Wayne Colella	colella@emav51.webo.dg.com