[comp.sys.mac.misc] Obtaining MacTCP

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/12/90)

In article <27656E82.5BB@intercon.com>
           (on the topic of "Re: News reader for Mac (again)")
           kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> There is only one product that does not require MacTCP, and that's
> TCP/Connect II.  This package comes with a MacTCP version (MacTCP
> included) and a non-MacTCP version.  There are PD programs that
> require MacTCP.  Although, if you don't feel like paying the 100-150
> for MacTCP, then you probably do not want to purchase a commercial
> package to do what you want...

We've run into some confusion here at RPI on how a person is supposed to
get MacTCP.  According to our contacts in Apple, if any product requires
MacTCP then it is supposed to *come* with MacTCP.  Individuals are not
expected to buy it (any more than individuals are expected to buy the
Communications Toolbox).

If this is wrong, could someone correct me?  If you don't have MacTCP and
you want to use a product that requires MacTCP, how are you supposed to
obtain MacTCP?  With the product, or on your own from APDA?

Note, for instance, that the product mentioned above *does* come with
MacTCP...

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) (12/12/90)

In article <1$F^+V_@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn)
writes:
> We've run into some confusion here at RPI on how a person is supposed to
> get MacTCP.  According to our contacts in Apple, if any product requires
> MacTCP then it is supposed to *come* with MacTCP.  Individuals are not
> expected to buy it (any more than individuals are expected to buy the
> Communications Toolbox).
>
> If this is wrong, could someone correct me?  If you don't have MacTCP
and
> you want to use a product that requires MacTCP, how are you supposed to
> obtain MacTCP?  With the product, or on your own from APDA?
I can only quote my own experience (not good). We had to pay a site
license to Apple - $1k- then some weeks later sign documents to state we
weren't making H- bombs. Somewhat later, the license arrived sans Mac TCP.
Several angry phone calls later, it was established that I still had to
buy Mac TCP ($85A) from AAPDA (Oz version of APDA). Guess what? Version
1.01 was not available in Oz!
The whole execise took *weeks* and cost us $1135 (had to join AAPDA as
well - $50). Let me say though, the end result is worth it. NetNerws
reader and Hyper FTP are great applications.

Disclaimer: I'm not really bitter and twisted.

Bob Jenner, Northern Territory University
Computing Dep't.
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT Australia 0810
Tel 089-466397

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/13/90)

writes:
> If this is wrong, could someone correct me?  If you don't have MacTCP and
> you want to use a product that requires MacTCP, how are you supposed to
> obtain MacTCP?  With the product, or on your own from APDA?

No you are correct.  You can obtain site licenses from Apple.  Price varies
depending on who you are (commercial/university).  If you don't want site
licensing you can get one copy from APDA for about $85 or $100.

If you site license a product that MacTCP comes with you should/will become
site licensed for MacTCP as well.

 --
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/13/90)

In article <2766A630.115C@intercon.com>
           kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> No you are correct.  You can obtain site licenses from Apple.  Price
> varies depending on who you are (commercial/university).  If you don't
> want site licensing you can get one copy from APDA for about $85 or $100.
>
> If you site licenses a product that MacTCP comes with you should/will
> become site licensed for MacTCP as well.

That's not quite an answer to what I'm asking.  The above sounds like a
product *may* come with MacTCP, or an organization *may* get a site
liscense.  My question is whether a product that requires MacTCP is
*supposed* to include MacTCP with the product.  If MacTCP products are
supposed to come with MacTCP, then there isn't much reason for an
organization to spend the money for it's own site liscense (unless it's
developing some MacTCP application of it's own, I guess).

Not to argue with your answer, of course.  It's just that the answer to my
question seems to vary a lot with who is answering it (I guess that's to
be expected on Usenet...:-).  Right now I'm using a single copy of MacTCP
which I bought from APDA, along with several products which use MacTCP but
did not come with MacTCP.  I have my own reasons for buying MacTCP, but
I'm not sure where I stand if someone comes to me and says "Hey, I have
this neat application which needs MacTCP, can I make a copy of yours?".

Is MacTCP systems-ish software, which can be given to anyone who can
legitmately use it?  If a product requires MacTCP but doesn't come with
it, can the user say "Gee, this company screwed up" and simply copy MacTCP
from someone else, or do they have to spend the $70 (or whatever it is) to
get a legit copy from APDA?

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (12/13/90)

In article <ZQF^N2-@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:
>In article <2766A630.115C@intercon.com>
>           kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>> No you are correct.  You can obtain site licenses from Apple.  Price
>> varies depending on who you are (commercial/university).  If you don't
>> want site licensing you can get one copy from APDA for about $85 or $100.
>>
>> If you site licenses a product that MacTCP comes with you should/will
>> become site licensed for MacTCP as well.
>
>That's not quite an answer to what I'm asking.  The above sounds like a
>product *may* come with MacTCP, or an organization *may* get a site
>liscense.  My question is whether a product that requires MacTCP is
>*supposed* to include MacTCP with the product.  If MacTCP products are
>supposed to come with MacTCP, then there isn't much reason for an
>organization to spend the money for it's own site liscense (unless it's
>developing some MacTCP application of it's own, I guess).

There's certainly no legal obligation to include MacTCP if you write and
distribute a program which uses it.  That would be like requiring every
Macintosh program ever written to also include a copy of the System
software.  So you're exactly right:  MacTCP _may_ come with a product or
it may not.  For more specific information, check with the distributor
or the author of the program.

MacTCP is not like System software: it doesn't come with every new
Macintosh, and you can't just give it away to anybody who wants it.

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/14/90)

> Not to argue with your answer, of course.  It's just that the answer to my
> question seems to vary a lot with who is answering it (I guess that's to
> be expected on Usenet...:-).

Not just Usenet.  I've asked several individuals what their interpretation
of the MacTCP licensing was (all of whom have licenses).  I've never gotten
the same answer twice.

The reason I asked around was because it was not clear from the MacTCP
documentation itself (I too have a license) what the licensing restrictions
are.

Apple has not made it very clear, is my conclusion.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

       "If you're not a docter, you're just pants" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2